Newbie advice please about freesat

nilrem

Inactive User
Reaction score
I'm looking for a HD freesat box for my son and wondered if I would get exactly the same channels using a Sky hd box as an off the shelf freesat box from say Argos ?

Thanks

I am not sure but I think with sky if you have just the FTA card then PVR does not work, where as with freesat you can buy a freesat PVR box.

youll get more channels on a sly hd box than with a freesat box, but, you wont be able to record any without an active sly sub. with a sly box though, youll also have all of the channels in the epg that you cannot receive (pay channels) whereas on a freesat box, only the channels you can view are in the guide

you can set freesat boxes into non freesat mode, and get all the same free channels as on a sly box, but then you lose the guide completley

also, on a sly box, you have the option of using a FTV card (one off fee of £20) to get even more channels with no monthly fee, like sky news hd, 4HD FIVE HD (i think) the ITV2 and 3 HD channels, five life, five US etc and sky three

i have one or 3 sly HD receivers, new and used as well as a FTV card for sale m8 (card is wales region)

you can set freesat boxes into non freesat mode, and get all the same free channels as on a sly box, but then you lose the guide completley

I cant check as Ive unpluged my Foxsat,but in non freesat mode I'm sure you still get now and next in the EPG

am I wrong ? Ive not checked the box for ages tbh

yes m8, youll get now and next, but not the main EPG itself

i have a sky hd box subscribe to discovery etc but not hd package i get bbc hd etc but itv is encrypted ,itvhd i have to add as other channel as its not included in scotland yet stv and itv have some dispute
so am wondering is the itv2hd avalable in england as a fta channel
alex

Back