New DW Forum Sections!

Hejira

Inactive User
Reaction score
After comments I saw made by @pinkhelmets in the F1 racers thread basically saying with the current demise of cable fresh ideas will still keep DW the place to be and recent additions of the Media Players n Freecycle your Stuff sections, I thought I'd stick my tuppence worth in!

I've been a member a while now n feel just about brave enough to offer a suggestion or two so here goes, I view most threads based on the title so can end up pretty much anywhere in any section, if it peaks my interest, I've seen a fair few threads across sections that relate to electronic repairs n mods and wondered if a dedicated section and getting them into one place would be a good idea?

In Response to the interest shown in @ digi's "woohoo, did it again :)" thread,:
https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/232044/
Yes I know it's prob down to "well what the bloody hell has he managed to disect n cobble together now" I thought I would gage the interest for an AV Electronics DIY Fault finding n repair section and or AV Custom Mods Section.

I think this fits with DW, there seems to be plenty of members willing to wield a soldering Iron and I hope members like me that would welcome those members if their willing to share their knowledge, experience n piccies. :)

I would guess if this thread gets the right kinda response Admins n Mods would decide if it's worthy (n prob still tell me where to stick it! LOL) or take the appropriate action.

If Not I'll wait for digi's next creation.

Thanks

Hejira

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like an interesting idea.

Only problem I can see is with people who dont really know what there doing playing with stuff that could get them injured or dead (fixing PSU's etc). I'd hate to see that happen because of advise from this site.

Still, definately worth considering and i'm sure it could generate a lot of interest.

Sounds like an interesting idea.

Only problem I can see is with people who dont really know what there doing playing with stuff that could get them injured or dead (fixing PSU's etc). I'd hate to see that happen because of advise from this site.

Still, definately worth considering and i'm sure it could generate a lot of interest.

I understand your point and the safety issue had crossed my mind, and of course is important but I would expect the standard "DON'T Listen to me I'm an Idiot YOU COULD KILL YOURSELF" Caveat would absolve DW of any responsibility! LOL

Would I have been able to sue digidude n DW if I'd of managed to win the 40" Sony Plasma on ebay that went for £78.50 tonite then fried myself replaceing the £5 worth of components that I think needed replacing to fix it? PMSL

digi's got a lot to answer for!

Tbh I'm quite surpised we don't have a section like that :)

what about a "home creations" section for the likes of digi's tv fixes or his techomate come supercar inventions?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

theres quite a few of us here that are able to repair things, as well as give bits of advise to others with similar problems, and i know its been talked about in the past to open a repair room, but as pointed out, we all have different skill abilitys, tools, test equipment, etc

so while something that may be a 5 min job with a slodering iron for some of us, could turn into a 3 day stay in a hospital for someone else (why do i see mozr fixing a toaster in the bath? lol)

but if we could get some sort of 'dont try this at home as the original poster is a loony' type thing up, i would be in favour of a repair room

i too would be interested in this stuff,i am shite at soldering but not daft enough to fry myself,well when i am sober that is :proud:

It's not just about repairing an article yourself.
More valuable is advice from those that know on DW to send us in the right direction as to what could be the problem.
We are all skeptical of approaching a tradesman we don't know, some of whom tell us anything they can get away with to charge more money.

It happened to my friend recently.
His car stopped. We towed it to a well known garage in the area.
They charged him £45 for an electronic test. They said the engine had no compression but didn't know why. As well as the test cost they charged him 3 hours labour.
We towed it to another garage. They didn't charge him a penny because the guy said it took him 5 minutes to discover the engine had a broken cambelt.
I would have thought any mechanic should have come to the same comclusion.

I think its a great idea.
why not have a rating system on the posts like they do on currys with the more peppers the hotter lol, 1 little screwdriver for easy/beginner upto 5 for advanced/dangerous.
im ok with a soldering iron but need help with anything more then testing batterys with my multi meter.

why not have a rating system on the posts like they do on currys with the more peppers the hotter lol, 1 little screwdriver for easy/beginner upto 5 for advanced/dangerous.
im ok with a soldering iron but need help with anything more then testing batterys with my multi meter.

I like that idea n I'm sure your not alone!

Yeah it's actually a very good idea and I am sure the added comments by other members will be considered. I like the idea by Manse about rating how difficult it may be, although because we are all on different levels it may be a 1 star to some and 5 star to others but in general terms it would give others an idea.

A few times now I have just thrown stuff out because I believed they were knackered or just couldn't be bothered getting them fixed but if there was a chance I could have fixed it I would have given it a go.

I think it’s a great idea.

A while back my fridge broke. I posted a question on DW in the general section and it was answered within minutes with very helpful advice and they correctly identified the problem, my thermostat. Managed to get one for free from a water cooling company and had it fitted in less than 30 mins.

All thanks to DW members. This forum has members from all walks of life with a vast / diverse range of skills.

The point about injuring yourself is very valid but on your own head be it. If you don't take the appropriate safety precautions then that’s your own responsibility.

I like the idea by Manse about rating how difficult it may be, although because we are all on different levels it may be a 1 star to some and 5 star to others but in general terms it would give others an idea.

I guess whoever posts the method or fix could state the difficulty level?

For example:

Wire a plug (Easy) - Follow the diagram enclosed.

Change component on PCB (Intermnediate) - Blah Blah Blah

Fault find on LCD TV that has sound but no picture (Difficult) - Blah Blah Blah

And list the degree of difficult something like:

Easy - Within most peoples ability

Intermediate - a degree knowledge advantageous.

Difficult - High level of knowledge required.

Thanks for all the responses chaps, I'm glad I'm not the only one that hasn't lost their childhood habit of taking things apart! LOL

Example:
Wire a plug (Easy) - Follow the diagram enclosed.
Change component on PCB (Intermnediate) - Blah Blah Blah
Fault find on LCD TV that has sound but no picture (Difficult) - Blah Blah Blah

And list the degree of difficult something like:
Easy - Within most peoples ability
Intermediate - a degree knowledge advantageous.
Difficult - High level of knowledge required.

I'd add maybe "basic soldering skills required" to Intermediate n "advanced soldering skills and or special tools required" to Difficult.

I'd add maybe "basic soldering skills required" to Intermediate n "advanced soldering skills and or special tools required" to Difficult.

Yep, what I suggested was just an example, I would hope that whoever posted a tut would ellaborate on the skill sets required to carry out the task successfully and warn of the dangers should you only have basic skills.

I've done an Electronic servicing course and pretty much know what not to touch in the back of a TV for example. If I was writing a tut on fault finding I would advise people to avoid it unless they were very knowledgable about TV's. It's human nature to use your free hand to steady something and if you were to touch the wrong part of a TV (CRT) the shock would probably kill you. It has to be discharged!

Same goes for washing machines etc! The electrical side of a washing machine will fry you.

I totally understands the concerns raised so it's maybe an idea just to do things that can't kill a person. This said we have to draw the line somewhere and can't have members blaming the poster for he or she falling of a ladder while secruing a satellite dish to a wall!

I think it's a good idea, you just have to make sure whoever gives advice they end their posts with a disclaimer for the dafties who shouldn't touch a remote control never mind fixing a telly, not that we have any of them on DW. ;)

:Cheers:

Last edited:
i think it would be a good idea. People also need to understand that they cant just jump straight into things and there are always dangers doing anything. Common sense is the main factor really. can i do it or cant i.
If not every post will come with a H&S warning ;)

I think it's great idea to share even more knowledge within our great community, if the admins fear that members might injure themselves doing this type of repair than just put a disclaimer within the forum "he who enters do so at their own risk" or something like that

Could sticky a post at the top of such section with members detailing their feild of expertise. I.E Digidude Tellys etc Jimmyp Plumbing stuff etc Gav Landscaping Me Stairlifts (lol) you get my drift.
So if someones got something broke or needs advice they know who has the knowledge.

I like this idea, it's give the throwaway culture a kick in the nuts.

I'd concentrate on what the core of this forum is about though, so any advice on modding or repairing sat and cable boxes would be a great place to start.

I've be particularly interested in modding my SKY box to have a SDI/HDI interface for starters.

Its a shame as you need a disclaimer to wipe your arse in the new "digital" age.

But this sounds interesting but have no idea where it would go or look like... Paint me a picture anyone?

Mickie

Back