netgear wgr614v9 as an access point

also you put a .exe at the end of the line, try it with out the .exe bit....looks like your using the 2nd tut this is for a version V3 and have no idea if this works on a V9 one matey so be careful, why not try and flash the netgear firmware to it and then see if you get the wireless bridge tab?

its the 1st 1 im doing mate, so i can change the firmware to stock netgear without the virgin restrictions, maybe thats where im going wrong then as i wasnt putting the C: in before it, be back soon, lol!

having a mare here, lol, that bold text was from the 2nd tut, ok scratch that, back to the 1st tut, your at this bit then?

7. Type (without quotes) "telnetenable.exe", the IP address of your router (e.g. "192.168.1.1"), add another space (" "), paste the contents of the clipboard, and append " Gearguy Geardog". These are the default username and password for telnet console access (they differ from those of the web interface), you need to modify them appropriately if you changed them previously. The result should look similar to this: telnetenable.exe 192.168.1.1 000FB5A2BE26 Gearguy Geardog

8. Now press Enter to run the tool. It should return to the shell pretty quickly with no error. If it takes a long time and returns a 'send failed' error message, just try again.

thats where im at yes, heres the 2 screens i see when i open puttytel, uiyt.JPG then i press open to which this box appears putty.JPG im then typing the line in with my mac address in and the addy of my router, then nothing happens on screen!

have you got the right IP address of the router? as your using the example, (just wondering if you've ever changed it, can you ping it when you have the cable in, ? ping 192.168.1.1)

have you tried moving onto the next bit?

9. You should now be able to login to the router via telnet from any computer in your local subnet (including the one you just used to activate the listening mode). To do so, type the following (no quotes): "telnet", append the IP of your router and press enter (e.g. telnet 192.168.1.1)

i would expect you should go back to the command prompt really, and then use option 9. above...but it looks like it's just "hanging" i downloaded the "old telent" had to copy telnet.exe to c drive (i think...i can't remember now, was so long ago...trying to rack my brains!) and your firewalls etc are disabled, no internet feed either, and was (or have you) disable telnet log in (or have done) in the settings of the router, telnet would need to be enabled in the router, but i'll try not to confuse things for now.....lol

ok,

try moving onto the next option....

9. You should now be able to login to the router via telnet from any computer in your local subnet (including the one you just used to activate the listening mode). To do so, type the following (no quotes): "telnet", append the IP of your router and press enter (e.g. telnet 192.168.1.1)

yes definetely right ip address as iv just reset the router back to default, and 192.168.1.1 is default, just pinged it, 4 packets sent 4 recieved so thats ok, as in the pic i posted before i tried going ahead with number 9 but it just isnt doing anything, also tried logging in through the same page but its just not having it, yes i had disabled firewall and antivirus, sick now mate, so im off to watch a film, ill have another go 2moro, thanks for the help so far!

Last edited:
nice one bud! speak the morra then.......maybe try another "telnet" if ya can, peace out....

nice one bud! speak the morra then.......maybe try another "telnet" if ya can, peace out....
aye ill try everything i can, just before i go, iv had the ethernet in the number 1 port on the router, does it matter, i did try it in the wan port and it still didnt work!

as long as it wasn't the internet port you were trying.....needs to be a wan port, what about another pc, you could also give your ethernet a static ip address.

So IPv4 and making it 192.168.1.10 and sub net as 255.255.255.0 then try telnet.......any way i'm ooot, bedski, shattered.....roll on more rain the morra...keeps them all away! ha

I'm still at work and it's pishing down so another hour or so until i finish, do you want me to drop this "netgear" off for you and do a swap mate? i don't mind, what comes around goes around they say.......

Just remember that you have to weaken your security, not that there's lots of backtrack hackers around i guess, just you can only have WEP when using it as a wireless bridge.....see ya the morra then hopefully and i'll have a bash of that one, v9 yeah?

Just remember that you have to weaken your security, not that there's lots of backtrack hackers around i guess, just you can only have WEP when using it as a wireless bridge.....see ya the morra then hopefully and i'll have a bash of that one, v9 yeah?
just replied to ya pm dibs, and aye v9, your a good un!

hol matey, OK looks like i screwed up some where.

I have flashed the new firmware to that router i got off you and have the wireless repeater mode etc enabled but for the hell of me can i get this to work, on further reading it would seem that according to the router that you need one as a repeater to send the signal and then the other as the client as to speak. i defo forced one of the V3 routers as a "client" as that was in my bed room as i say with the 360 attached to it......

Now the firmware on the V9's looks like your going to need 2 netgear's the same one sending and one receiving.......

Man, it was easier forcing V3......

How ever, i won't let this lie so if it means a trip over to yours (my shout this time!) with this one that would mean that you can have 2 netgear's with the wireless bridge/repeater options on it and I'll take your old one away. (sorry about this mate)

mate, i wanted you to be set up and that all the night, I've just reset me other netgear one (v3) that i was trying to connect too and my dreams off, lol, what a mare! ha, just going to reset the modem and the netgear again,. have a 5 minute cuppa and then get back to it.

won't be beaten! I've just bought another one for a few quid off ebay...in the mean time i wish you the best of luck buddy, sorry i couldn't do it, now I'll have two the same too mess on with and what ever the outcome I'll get it working for ya! even if it means amputating my head

not to worry mate not to worry, its sorted, lol, iv just hard reset my main router and set it all up again, "couldn't wait", lol, soon as i set them both back up it worked straight away, god knows how but it did, cheers for all the help though matey, im typing this hard wired into the access point and its going great!

ah mint mint mint! so what we were doing with them was right then! i wonder what the fook the other router was playing at then !?!?! what a **** eh, lol, well I'm glad your sorted mate, I'm one of these that will just not let it lie! no worries i suppose now! you wanna buy a router? lol, least I'll have the "wireless" bridge option should i ever need to extend the range of my existing 30 routers! lolol...so did you just leave the new one that i brought over all set up the way we had it and then when you reset the other one did you just make it as a repeater?

class you got it working! well chuffed.......

it would appear we were doing everything right mate apart from not restarting the main router, i hard reset both however and set them both up again from scratch, so dont know if it was something else stopping them talkin to eachother, but it worked straight away as soon as i had done it, cheers for the guidance though as i wouldnt have got there without ya help. im gunna test it on my vu box after the match just to make sure its working sound, but i got internet access through the ethernet straight away so it should just work fine upstairs, also means i can order my networked media player, as thats the full reason i wanted this setup, and get rid of my homeplug setup for my vu+ duo and keep them for another room if i ever need them, owa the moon mate after the last few days headache with them!

mint then buddy, that's top class, over the moon for ya mate, hate leaving things un-sorted, so you'll be able to get to any device that's connected any where via any of them and share any of the devices...ha! right time to make a cuppa and watch the toon, least we wont need that Cat5 cable and the staple gun as first suggested....ha!

cheers

Dibbs.

I realise this is an old thread but I don't suppose any of you have the wpn824_ko_2.12_1.2.9.zip file kicking around? I can't see it on the net gear site and the links/mirrors on the tutorials are dead.

Cheers.

Back