Humidifier

chookey

I have spoken
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I turned my downstairs front room into a bedroom quite some time ago. There was damp in a couple of places and I sanded the affected paintwork down as I was constantly hoovering up flakes of paint.
Haven't had that problem for a while now so am about ready to either redecorate myself or get someone in. I measured the moisture in the affected areas and they were quite high so decided to buy a dehumidifier. Bought this one which turned out to be too small for the area. It only used 40W but was only collecting 200ml of water which initially I was quite impressed with.

I then bought this one which uses substantially more electricity, <>560W but averages 2ltrs of collected water. Been on for 12 hours today and collected 2.2ltrs. Obviously the machine turns on and off many times during this period. I even put some washing on the airer but wasn't overly wet, thermal top and bottom, adidas tracky bottoms, vest and a pair of socks and underwear. That would probably account for the extra 200mls of water.

Thing is why does it never get lower?? I never expected the moisture collected would be zero but I definitely expected it would get significantly lower. My moisture meter is a load of crap probably but registered 33% in the worst affected area which is now reading 21% and was 24% a couple of days ago. I've been running the inferior one for over a week and now been running the super duper for a week.
Anyone know what I should expect?? Am I being too impatient and should I persevere?? Is there a knack to it??

I have definitely noticed an improvement in my quality of sleep however. Trouble is with my fatigue problem it isn't exactly the outcome I was looking for 😂 😂 😂 Smells a little fresher too, I occasionally whiffed a bit of staleness which prompted me to buy one in the first place.
Any thought welcome as always. :D

The 2 liter one will collect more moisture and after a while should be fine , but where is this water coming from ? Venterlashin, outside wall needs pointing or could be your big Y-front underpants ? 😂

The worst area was actually an adjoining wall with my neighbour right by my front door so it's possible that I'm sucking water from his side as well. The other area is at the bottom of my bay window which lacked guttering on the porch which I rectified a few years ago. Only other area is in my living room where there was another guttering problem and water was cascading down the wall.

The problem was actually caused by my next door neighbours guttering which had a forest growing in it. Rental property and the landlord didn't want to know. I ended up raising the guttering where it crossed into mine and installing a stop in between. Cured my problem but causes a waterfall next door. ;)

Have you got solid floors or 'suspended' ones - if suspended, could be sucking damp from below the floor ??

It'll take a while to draw it all out
The humidity here is rarely under 70% so closing doors and windows makes a big difference, when I need it dryer

This machine has a humidity display which I doubt is very accurate. It is currently operating and the display is showing 52%, I think it cuts out at 50% but it soon rises again. I am running it from 11am to 11pm presently and am hoping to see a reduction soon. If not then I really need to try and find out why.
I have a power monitor attached and starting tomorrow will start monitoring how much mls of water per KWh it's shifting. That should give me a fairly accurate idea if it's diminishing or not.

If the room is used as a bedroom then there will always be dampness that the humidifier can collect, the heat off of your body, you breath and actual body sweat will see to that plus you will have windows open at various times and it is rare not to have dampness in the air. Also as you have said there have been several outside wall areas that have suffered saturation and those areas will have become more porous and absorb any rain easier that the humidifier eventually collect.
I doubt cavity wall insulation would help, if anything it will absorb even more moisture. The idea of a cavity wall is that the gap prevents dampness reaching the inside wall which under normal circumstances they do, it is only when the outer wall cracks or is affected by persistent heavy water from the likes of blocked drains that the gap (cavity) ceases to do it's job.

If the room is used as a bedroom then there will always be dampness that the humidifier can collect, the heat off of your body, you breath and actual body sweat will see to that plus you will have windows open at various times and it is rare not to have dampness in the air. Also as you have said there have been several outside wall areas that have suffered saturation and those areas will have become more porous and absorb any rain easier that the humidifier eventually collect.
I doubt cavity wall insulation would help, if anything it will absorb even more moisture. The idea of a cavity wall is that the gap prevents dampness reaching the inside wall which under normal circumstances they do, it is only when the outer wall cracks or is affected by persistent heavy water from the likes of blocked drains that the gap (cavity) ceases to do it's job.
Body sweat 😂 😂 😂
It's 22°C here in home. I'm wearing a thermal top and bottoms, a vest, a thick army jumper and a very heavy fleece and wool zippered cardigan cum jacket thing that is literally starting to fall of me. The only time I ever feel warm is when I'm in bed.
Last time I had a sweat on was 2016 when I thought I was going to have to buy 2 rounds to my mate's 1. ;)

I use my dehumidifier for drying the laundry if it's wet outside and the room that I use is the bathroom, the walls are tiled so little if any dampness in the walls and the shower curtain rail is chromed steel so can support the weight of just about anything hung or draped over it and the plugs go into the bath and sink before the dehumidifier is switched on. Much cheap to run than a tumble drier and unlike the electric clothes horses it is not creating steam and dampness.

Back