bt smart hub 2 , problem with 2.4ghz

phawk754

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
hi all

I have a problem with my ring doorbell and ring chime both of them have been working fine for months

then one day there both stopped connecting to my bt smart hub 2, I checked both of them on my friend's smart hub 2 and there both work with no problems

I have the newer smart hub so can not split my 2.4ghz and 5ghz signal, I have turned off my 5ghz but still can not get the rings to work

I have scanned the wifi and can only see the 5ghz signal and no 2.4ghz from the hub

all of my devices that use the 5ghz are working fine, its only the ones that use the 2.4ghz that are not working

as far as I can see the fault is with the smart hub but BT has run checks on it and is saying that it's fine and will not replace it

not sure what to do at this point,I would be grateful for any help

Definitely a problem with the hub. I have no idea how they would be able to test your wi-fi online. Insist on an engineer visit.

You said that you turned off the 5ghz but then say your devices that use 5ghz are working fine?
so you have not turned it off?
I have old hub and ring doorbell/ring chime both working good
Try resetting the hub

I turned it off for testing ,then once finished testing turned it back on

Am I missing something here? View attachment 158684
I believe he means he turned off 5ghz wifi to see if devices would connect to the 2.4ghz network.
But that would not make sense either as stated the newer hub does not have a seperate 5ghz/2g.4hz option?.

I would try a factory reset as Joe suggested.

I believe he means he turned off 5ghz wifi to see if devices would connect to the 2.4ghz network.
But that would not make sense either as stated the newer hub does not have a seperate 5ghz/2g.4hz option?.

I would try a factory reset as Joe suggested.
"The BT Home Hub 4, Hub 5 and BT Smart Hub are dual band with two wireless frequencies for devices to connect to: 2.4GHz and 5GHz. On both Hubs, the default setting has the same network name (or SSID) for both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands."
I turned it off for testing ,then once finished testing turned it back on
Try this>>
"It is suggested to resolve the problem if you have a dual band router like the Smart Hub 2 that you split the bands and rename 2.4GHz network with a separate SSID from the 5.0GHz network so so can force your phone and the Smart device to connect to the 2.4GHz band."

"The BT Home Hub 4, Hub 5 and BT Smart Hub are dual band with two wireless frequencies for devices to connect to: 2.4GHz and 5GHz. On both Hubs, the default setting has the same network name (or SSID) for both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands."

Yep.. but the OP states
"I have the newer smart hub so can not split my 2.4ghz and 5ghz signal"
I assume he is saying the newer BT smart hub is unable to rename the SSID's. Giving seperate signals?

I would not know as im with Virgin.

I believe it is probably SH2 they've got as SH 3 is only just being rolled out by BT /EE to small businesses. I had BT full fibre installed at home last week and it is with the SH 2.

I had the same issue with sky fibre hub. None of my smart plugs lights eufy stuff would work. I had to do as Joe suggested by creating 2 channels one 5g the other 2.4g and I stuck a g on the ssid name for the 5g. I connect all smart stuff to the 2.4 and all other stuff to 5g. Works fine that way.

Attachments

• E394396F-BA86-43EB-8C3C-13504797E1B8.jpeg
    E394396F-BA86-43EB-8C3C-13504797E1B8.jpeg
    578.7 KB · Views: 5
just for a quick update, on the smart hub 2 that I have, you can not split the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands,
it is recommended to turn off the 5ghz band when setting up the 2.4ghz

this on mine did not work, checking the bands with a wifi analyzer, did not show anything on the 2.4ghz

so with that in mind, I have now got a new router, set that up and all is working fine, so it looks like the fault is with the bt router

thank you for the help

Back