netgear wgr614v9 as an access point

BIG-HOL

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
hi all, i have 2 netgear routers, both the same, the main 1 which is connected to the modem/internet, i also have a spare 1, what i want to do, if its possible is use the spare i have as a wireless access point in my bedroom for my dreambox 500s so it has internet access from my main router.

iv googled about abit and couldnt really find anything decent, or any sort of easy way to do it, can these routers be used as an access point and if so would someone please help me get it set up!

much appreciated for any help given!:proud:

Cheers mate on my fone at the minute but i'll check it out soon!

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

cheers dibbers mate thats excellent, seems pretty easy to do even though iv never really messed on with the stuff its all basic really, im gunna try and set it up later through the night as i cant switch my net or some family members will get a blank screen, lol, so have to do it through the night!

i'll report back how i get on once iv done it, or when i run into problems, lol!

have some rep for that mate!

right guys back to this, didnt get round to it last time for 1 thing or another, but iv just configured my network, set them both on the same lan, diff ips as both routers are the same, but for some reason my router does not have a wireless repeat function in the advanced section, the routers both come from virgin, have they removed this option from the box, or is there any other way around this, both boxes and neither have this option, even though the manual dibbers has posted is for this exact model, am i fooked!

aha! i was wondering where i'd see ya! yeah one of the routers would need to have the "wireless" repeater function on it, all though there is a way to telnet to one of the routers and do it via "telnet" and force it to act as a wireless bridge,

i done it on a netgear that had the normal netgear config page and no wireless bridge option and you can force it to do it, means that you never see any thing in action other than a flashing net light....[still who cares if it works)

How ever, i'll go check the model number as i had posted on here the one i wanted, it had virgin firmware on it and i just flashed it via telnet to the normal netgear config page, but that's specific model numbers, i'll check for ya.....basicly i then had one router in the "lab" and then the wireless bridge in my bed room with the xbox connected to it (was trying to stream xbmx! ha! don't need to worry about that now)

What you want to make a bridge for to extend the wireless range?

Here you go mate the same model number, you can then flash it back to "netgear" and then you should see the bridge options etc....

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?p=148146

if it doesn't work and you get the vermin page then flash again, mine took 2 or 3 goes before i got rid of the virmmin shite

Last edited:
aha! i was wondering where i'd see ya! yeah one of the routers would need to have the "wireless" repeater function on it, all though there is a way to telnet to one of the routers and do it via "telnet" and force it to act as a wireless bridge, i'll go check the model number as i had posted on here the one i wanted, it had virgin firmware on it and i just flashed it via telnet to the normal netgear config page, but that's specific model numbers, i'll check for ya.....basicly i then had one router in the "lab" and then the wireless bridge in my bed room with the xbox connected to it (was trying to stream xbmx! ha! don't need to worry about that now)

What you want to make a bridge for to extend the wireless range?
well hopefully iv got the right versions mate, wondered if thats why i give up on it last time, then today i was googling setting up access point and top of google was my own post, lol, im thinking it must of been disabled in both routers by virgin the twats, oh well, i dont need it so its no big deal iv just wanted to set it up instead of using a homeplug for my vu+ in my bedroom, then i could also connect my ps3 this way.

heres what i see from router page on both.

kjhgf.JPG

just seen the date of this post, nearly a year ago, that's why i couldn't remember where i'd seen ya, i have billions of routers, if you want an easy life then i don't mind swapping the one i have with yours if you can't be arsed to flash etc as all it's doing is sitting in the office at work feeding my nokia, so all i need there is wireless, no repeater function etc, and at home i have.....wait for it, 2 networks, 2 gateways, that's came down from 3 or 4 a few years ago...i only live in a bedsit as well, ha! jokes! let me know.

I think the version that i bought (even though on ebay they had it as a v9 it was a v5 and you can't have the access point on that version so you have to force it to do it via telnet so with your version you should be good to go back to netgear firmware)

here's the same router at work with the netgear firmware on it mate....

Attachments

• netgear.jpg
    netgear.jpg
    328.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
just seen the date of this post, nearly a year ago, that's why i couldn't remember where i'd seen ya, i have billions of routers, if you want an easy life then i don't mind swapping the one i have with yours if you can't be arsed to flash etc as all it's doing is sitting in the office at work feeding my nokia, so all i need there is wireless, no repeater function etc, and at home i have.....wait for it, 2 networks, 2 gateways, that's came down from 3 or 4 a few years ago...i only live in a bedsit as well, ha! jokes! let me know.

I think the version that i bought (even though on ebay they had it as a v9 it was a v5 and you can't have the access point on that version so you have to force it to do it via telnet so with your version you should be good to go back to netgear firmware)
if theres a way to go back to the original netgear software for it id be more than happy to give it a go, if i can, where would i get this firmware from mate, as iv doubled checked both routers and theres nowt on the current software to allow it, cheers!

i'm sure i have it on this lap top, i'll check, have a look at the pic i posted above mate you'll see it on the netgear at work.....i'll go have a look see where it is, i'm just wondering if it's on my other lap top, is it not in that post a bit further up i made (i edited the post after you posted)

just seen you edited it mate, but the links just showing a white screen, have a dig around see if you can find it on your lappy for me, while i eat me tea, lol!

I've been trying to do the exact same thing with a wgr614v9 & i followed that link about a week ago but didn't get the extra options ................... might try it again.

well as far as i can remember that had the virmin page on it, and i think that was the main reason for me flashing it, as i'd bought a netgear version 3 and that didn't have the option on it so i had to force the router to act as a access point (destructions below) so then i bought the v9 and that had virmin on it...i flashed it, had a play with the router as a bridge and a xbox 360 and then realsied that streaming to the xbox was genk (of course! what did i expect for wireless, so be warned, gaming might be rubbish with lag and high lat etc over a bridge)

if you have an older version and say you don't get the wireless bridge setting when you've flashed, then you should be able to force the router into bridge/repeater mode.

TUT HERE

This as i say worked well on the V3, as for the V9, i'm sure that option only came in when i flashed it, could be wrong of course, i'm trying to re-call but it's all a haze... :cool:

i haven't tried this on any other versions other than the V3 as i have routers on top of routers on top of routers on top of routrs, best stuff i've ever seen is DDWRT, brillaint it is, that's why i have a linksys with it on, bit like tomato for them that's also like haxorware, if you like that config page, how ever i like the dd-wrt one better...

enjoi, hope it all works, ones you get your head around the bridge/client you should be good to go.

Last edited:
right im gunna give this a go soon, just 1 question, which telnet client should i use to run that program?

i just used windows matey, if you have windows 7 you can get it working as i don't think it comes with "telnet" how ever i'd imagine any one of them would work.....

right iv downloaded puttytel, entered the host ip as 192.168.1.1 (router) then i open connection to which i type these in putty.JPG 1 by 1, but nothing happens, by the way, im not connected to the net while i do it, does that make a difference, im hard wired straight to the router but im using the spare 1 i have to try and do it on, so as not to disturb my other router till i know this parts done, does it matter, any ideas whats going on, because basically im trying to follow the tut without knowing anything of what im doing, lol!

also you put a .exe at the end of the line, try it with out the .exe bit....looks like your using the 2nd tut this is for a version V3 and have no idea if this works on a V9 one matey so be careful, why not try and flash the netgear firmware to it and then see if you get the wireless bridge tab?

this is the line with out the .exe....

8. Then type: C:\telnetEnable CLIENTS_IP_ADDRESS CLIENTS_MAC_ADDRESS Gearguy Geardog -> ENTER

Last edited:
Back