looking at maybe starting dvb-c

madnlooney

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
well i been reading through aload of things and just getting my head around it all. i was first looking at the TECHNOTREND C-1501 but saw i then would need a CI, a fun card cam flashed with firmware. But then i read about floppydtv card and saw the price of one of those so i dont think i would get one.
Is there a software base route i could use instead of card flashing? if so what would the down side be of it? would the fun card etc still be needed or just the cable PCI card?

Thanks for any info.. if its too complicated for me i may just get another dreambox lol

I use XP, C-1500, MyTheatre and vplug 2.3.7(softcam)
vplug does work with c-1501's.

i use a technisat dvbc which works very well with progdvb and software

The two best ones are DVBViewer (Paid) and DVBDream (Free) the rest are total crap tbh.

So no ci or cards needed if i was to us a c1501? Just pure software? Thanks guys 4 the replys they r helping

I'm using windows XP with DVBViewer and VPlug and it works like a charm. As long as you're happy with updating any k*ys every month or so. The only hardware I use is the tuner card.

It can be a pain to get everything working but once it's up and running the flexibility and stability is brilliant.

Edit: I've just noticed that a version of vplug came out in july that has UK Auto update so I might look into that.

Last edited:
Edit: I've just noticed that a version of vplug came out in july that has UK Auto update so I might look into that.

ive tried it myself and it does not work.
maybe im doing something wrong???

just installed vplug and dvb viewer to have a look at how to set it up and its all confused me lol. i have vplug extracted into dvbviewer install folder but i have a bruteforce.ini which i read should go in transponder folder but not in the install? also what other .ini file will i need to try and configure?

Your best bet is to work in small steps, then you'll know which bit you're struggling with. Start with a clean install of DVBViewer and make sure you can get your FTA channels working before trying anything encrypted.

The next step is to get some encrypted channels in your channel list using the inbuilt DVBViewer scanner. Once you've got some that work and some that don't, then you can start playing with VPlug.

ive tried it myself and it does not work.
maybe im doing something wrong???

It works fine so I guess you are doing something wrong. The instructions are a bit vague but if you follow them exactly then you should be ok.

just installed vplug and dvb viewer to have a look at how to set it up and its all confused me lol. i have vplug extracted into dvbviewer install folder but i have a bruteforce.ini which i read should go in transponder folder but not in the install? also what other .ini file will i need to try and configure?

What (exact) folder have you installed vplug into? what version of vplug is it? has the bruteforce .ini got the correct symbolrate for your area? and yes it goes in the transponders folder- can you see it when you go to channel/channel scan/transponders list (drop down box)?

Oh BTW is the pc set up just for you, ie 1 user or more than 1 user?

Last edited:
I've never been able to get my transponders file into that list. I've even tried duplicating one of the existing files that I can see and renaming it but no joy.

Is there anything you have to do to get them to appear (clear any preferences, reset anything, add it to an ini file etc) or should they just appear next time you open the dialog?

I've never been able to get my transponders file into that list. I've even tried duplicating one of the existing files that I can see and renaming it but no joy.

Is there anything you have to do to get them to appear (clear any preferences, reset anything, add it to an ini file etc) or should they just appear next time you open the dialog?

Is your pc set up for more than 1 user??

Nope, just the one.

Edit:
Your question guided me in the right direction.
For a start, it needs to be in the configuration folder, not the installation folder.
Then you need to make sure that the first line under the [DVB] section reads something like 0=105 (do we know what this means?)
Also, make sure there's no spaces between you commas (I don't know if this makes a difference but not having them definately works!)

Last edited:
Hi all,

The 0=105 refers to the number of transponders in the bruteforce.ini file.

Could you let me know where you've got that ini file from please, Ive been looking for that for ages...

Squid.

I Pm'd you, i'm not sure if you got it or not, I'm having some issues at the moment.

If you need an absolutel brute force file (100,000 - 999,999 in 1hz increments I can put one together for you. It'll take a ges to run through but it'll find *everything* and then once you've seen where the start and end is, you can refine it.

Let me know.

If you need an absolutel brute force file (100,000 - 999,999 in 1hz increments I can put one together for you.

That would be a bit of a waste of time as most of the tuners only work in 166khz steps (or there abouts). Some of the more expensive tuners will work at smaller stepsizes but more often than not the AGC control can pull more than +/- 1 full stepsize anyway.

Also, in uk cable there aren't really that many frequencies to check and they are well defined. For TW areas they tend to start at 115Mhz and work upwards in 8Mhz steps (UK is always 8Mhz steps). CW & NTL areas are very similar but may or may not have an offset (of 750khz (or -250khz) I think - so start point might be 114.750Mhz). Normally, you should be looking for round about 29-31 transponders. The 105 transponder file should really cover all eventualities if its any good !

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies chaps, much appreciated.

I have been looking for the bruteforce file because I thought it had special channel-finding powers; now I have it I realise it's exactly the same as the ini files I've been making for myself!

Just for reference, there are TW channels at 107000...

Is it worth creating an ini with 3 transponders per 1 do you think? i.e 114750, 115000 & 115250 where you would normally have just 115000? I ask because for example in Mediaportal I have trouble picking up some channels that DVBViewer for finds really easily (Five, Five US for example); I wonder if DVBViewer tunes a little 'looser' or something?

Thanks,

Squid.

If your on TW then you shouldn't need any of the offset frequencies as they should all be on Mhz boundaries. Most area's start at 115.000Mhz but, as you say, yours starts at 107.000Mhz. Technically they could actually start at 99Mhz

Any transponder file from TW could therefore start at 99.000Mhz and simpy work upwards in 8Mhz steps (to about 850 - 900Mhz)

If you have trouble on certain frequencies then its more likely that you have a slight signal problem (or a slightly weak tuner). Some programs appear to be better at tuning than others simply because they automatically try tuning a couple of tuner steps back and forth from the main frequency and measure for best signal strength (transponders do sometimes drift slightly and tuners may not have a particularly good reference source). If you really have a problem on a frequency then try a manual tune of +/- 166kHz from the centre frequency.

Thanks Nozzer,

So the offset is actually 166khz and not 250khz as I've seen suggested? And it may be worth plugging in my signal amplifier after all?

Thanks,

Squid.

Back