Just Got Dreambox 500-c, Help !!

The symbol rate for N*L will always be 6887. And the frequency is 755000.

Try putting in these settings and doing a scan!

What image have you got on the box now?

devilfish said:
The symbol rate for N*L will always be 6887. And the frequency is 755000.

Try putting in these settings and doing a scan!

What image have you got on the box now?
i did mate, says no transponder found :(

i notice in the guide it says to use the crossover cable and not just a regular ethernet cable, is that right enough as ive just been using my ordinary broadband ethernet cable although i do have the crossover cable that came with the dreambox, i didnt think it would be any different though, is it ??

the image iam using just now is one of the ones you posted, dont know what version now though as iam getting so mixed up with all this, lol.

If you're trying to connect with the box via your broadband ethernet port then the crossover cable should work. You will need to alter your network settings (as described in the tut). It was probably setup for DHCP when it was connected to your modem. Now you have to disable DHCP and manually enter an IP address in (something like 192.168.1.5)(subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0). You then need to change the settings on your dreambox so match this. Change the ip address on dreambox to 192.168.1.10 and subnet mask to 255.255.255.0. Leave all other settings blank. Now you should be able to connect via the crossover cable.

Click this----> ftp://192.168.1.10

And internet explorer should appear...

username: root
password: dreambox

If folders appear then it has connected successfully.

By doing this, you have changed the settings for your internet and it won't work. You will have to change the network card settings back to dhcp and probably reboot the modem and the computer. It will aquire a new ip address from the cable provider and theoretically you should connect ok. This is why I suggest to get an additional network card for the sole use of connecting with the cable box. Then there is no mucking about with your internet. It's up to you though!

If you can find out exactly what image you are using, I can check it out to see if it will scan ok.

devilfish said:
If you're trying to connect with the box via your broadband ethernet port then the crossover cable should work. You will need to alter your network settings (as described in the tut). It was probably setup for DHCP when it was connected to your modem. Now you have to disable DHCP and manually enter an IP address in (something like 192.168.1.5)(subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0). You then need to change the settings on your dreambox so match this. Change the ip address on dreambox to 192.168.1.10 and subnet mask to 255.255.255.0. Leave all other settings blank. Now you should be able to connect via the crossover cable.

Click this----> ftp://192.168.1.10

And internet explorer should appear...

username: root
password: dreambox

If folders appear then it has connected successfully.

By doing this, you have changed the settings for your internet and it won't work. You will have to change the network card settings back to dhcp and probably reboot the modem and the computer. It will aquire a new ip address from the cable provider and theoretically you should connect ok. This is why I suggest to get an additional network card for the sole use of connecting with the cable box. Then there is no mucking about with your internet. It's up to you though!

If you can find out exactly what image you are using, I can check it out to see if it will scan ok.
iam lost now as your saying to change the ip to 192.168.1.5 but the guide says change to 192.168.0.201, so what should i do, try what youve just said or what the guide says ??? plus is the crossover cable different from normal ethernet cable right enough, ye ?

ive tried n tried n tried, getting sick of it now :(

i think iam not setting up the network correctly as it wont connect when i run the flashwizard (see attached pic), iam getting very confused, too many images, too many numbers, too many everything, lollllllllll.

Hopefully my woman should pick me up another ethernet card today from local pc shop, but i cant see that helping as i know for a fact that i should be able to use this one i have, its just the same thing really at end of day.

Anyway, maybes i need told exactly more clearly how to set the network up as iam going round in circles here, but at the same time, shouldnt the null modem cable flash work ok, it seems to flash fine etc and ive flashed it using a few different images successfully but it wont let me change the cable provider to ntl, whats up with that ????

edit:>> i would really really really appreciate if someone would go on a messenger service or allow me to call them or them call me regarding this issue, ive had this box since last week and still not got it going and its dragging on and on, when i got my eurovox i spoke to a guy on the phone and had my box going in a few minutes no problem, no what i mean ? please.

Last edited:
i assume u know how to change the IP address for your dreambox and your PC.
If you have a xover cable, hook PC to Dreambox.

For the pc settings : change IP to 192.168.0.2
Press tab - the subnet mask will be 255.255.255.0
Go into the dreambox - set IP to 192.168.0.3
with the same subnet mask - 255.255.255.0

i cant make it any easier for you.

hey guys, thanks a hell of a lot for all the painstaking help you'z have given me, in the endup "osborne82" got me up and running, thank feckkk, hehehe.

I was on the verge of just throwing the box through the window, lol.

:Cheers: :Cheers:

so where was u going wrong thomson ??

it was a networking problem, i bought another ethernet card as i only had one ethernet socket which my broadband was using.

once i put in the ethernet card and followed instructions from osbourne i was up and running in minutes, big thanks to everyone though, devilfish spent loads of time trying to help me too :Clap: .

so i suppose the extra ethernet port is a must guys :)

:) least it will help other members now m8 good ur sorted :)

Rat said:
:) least it will help other members now m8 good ur sorted :)
yea mate :)

pity that it didnt work with the null modem cable though, it should do too, but it dont, ohh well, lol.

thomson said:
yea mate :)

pity that it didnt work with the null modem cable though, it should do too, but it dont, ohh well, lol.

so whats it like are you inpressed with it

Donnie Darko said:
At last success:Cheers:
yea i know, lol, cheers for your help too mate, i cant thank everyone enough :banana:

having a few teething problems not getting some channels though like sky sports and sky movies etc.

Ive used my signal booster and that brings the channels in now, i was using gemini which i didnt like very much to be honest, so now iam back on nutrino.

hopefully all's well, lol.

Napster said:
so whats it like are you inpressed with it
i am impressed mate, but wasnt impressed with the hassle i had setting it up when my eurovox was totally plug n play, but i think ive got there in the end (hopefully).
The most impressive thing to me is the sheer size of this box, it would near enough fit in your suit pocket, its tiny, plus ive read that it can do 100's of amazing tricks too that i'll never probably use, lol.
Ohh, and another thing, it has true 16:9 widescreen, i like that, i was pissed off with the eurovox slightly cropping the picture at the sides although this wouldnt bother most people, i like things perfect, lol.

Anyways, we shall see how things go along.

:Cheers:

edit :>>
i had to use my signal booster to get all the channels too, no big deal but thought i would mention it.

Last edited:
can someone tell me how to edit the channel list so that i can put bbc 1,2,itv,ch4,and ch5 in the first 5 places, iam not really interested in setting the rest of the channels.

edit :>> does teletext work on dreambox ? if so, how do i get it going, i see german text which is no good.

Last edited:
thomson said:
can someone tell me how to edit the channel list so that i can put bbc 1,2,itv,ch4,and ch5 in the first 5 places, iam not really interested in setting the rest of the channels.

edit :>> does teletext work on dreambox ? if so, how do i get it going, i see german text which is no good.

Which image are you using...Neutrino or Gemini?

If using Neutrino...

Goto Service Menu > Bouquet Editer

Here you can create a bouquet called, i.e. Terrestrial.
Then go into the bouquet and press GREEN (I think) to ADD a channel.
Scroll through the channel list until you find the channel you want then press OK.
Once you have all the channels in your bouquet, use YELLOW to move the channels up/down, i.e. BBC1 at the top.
Home to get out of it and RED to save when it asks.
Do this for the other bouquets, i.e. Sport, Movies, Music, etc.

If using Gemini...

Select SETUP > SERVICE ORGANISING > CREATE NEW BOUQUET
Make a bouquet called, i.e. Terrestrial.
Come back a menu then select ADD SERVICES TO BOUQUET.
Scroll through the channel list until you find the channel you want then press OK.
Use EDIT BOUQUETS to move the channels into the preferred order.

Don't know about the teletext...I've never used it. I've got it set to output component video from the scart so it would never work on my box anyway ;).

devilfish said:
Which image are you using...Neutrino or Gemini?

If using Neutrino...

Goto Service Menu > Bouquet Editer

Here you can create a bouquet called, i.e. Terrestrial.
Then go into the bouquet and press GREEN (I think) to ADD a channel.
Once you have all the channels in your bouquet, use YELLOW to move the channels up/down, i.e. BBC1 at the top.
Home to get out of it and RED to save when it asks.
Do this for the other bouquets, i.e. Sport, Movies, Music, etc.

If using Gemini...

Select SETUP > SERVICE ORGANISING > CREATE NEW BOUQUET
Make a bouquet called, i.e. Terrestrial.
Come back a menu then select ADD SERVICES TO BOUQUET.
Use EDIT BOUQUETS to move the channels into the preferred order.

Don't know about the teletext...I've never used it. I've got it set to output component video from the scart so it would never work on my box anyway ;).
ok, done that mate, excellent :) thanks.

but now when i press "ok" i only get the list up for channels 1 to 5, how do i get the full list up ??? iam not caring about organising the full list but just need to see it for when i want to look for other channels.

edit :>> also, when i switch the box off using the off button on the remote the light on the box stays green, is that right ?? is that it on standby ? or am i doing summit wrong, i like to turn my shit onto standby at night.

Last edited:
Back