Just Got Dreambox 500-c, Help !!

thomson

Inactive User
Reaction score
Just got my dreambox 500-c from elite786, very smart little box :banana: .

Anyway, as far as iam aware the software is installed curtosy of elite, the software is "liams uk04 image".

Ive plugged it all in etc and dont get any channels which i guessed i wouldnt without a scan, so ive tried both a manual scan and an auto scan and it dont seem to work, just stops more or less instantly and gives this error :>>
no channels found or scan not completed, please upload your service files via ftp or execute a scan.

Can someone please tell me what iam doing wrong as elite reckond i should only need to do a scan, i aint got a clue as iam a eurovox man until now.

It would be really very very good if someone could help me on one of the messengers like msn or yahoo rather than waiting on posts etc, trying to get this going to watch the footy :(

Help appreciated chaps :Cheers:

thomson said:
me want all the shitty prawn channels though, hehe.

They can be added manually. Open the services file up in wordpad and edit it that way. Or you can grab a dbox services.xml from the dbox download section and put it in /var/tuxbox/config/dboxservices and it should convert it to dreambox format on bootup.

thomson said:
me want all the shitty prawn channels though, hehe.

edit :>
how do i drop stuff in like you say, remember iam a total dreambox novice, ive only ever had a eurovox and even at that i only programmed it once.

Sorry! You'll need a crossover ethernet cable. Use an ftp client or internet explorer. In the browser address bar type ftp://192.168.1.100 (replace with your ip address), username is root and password is dreambox. Navigate to /var/tuxbux/config/zapit and copy the services and bouquets files from the link that notanotherone has posted. On box, press MENU and goto SERVICE MENU > RELOAD CHANNELS, press OK and you should have all the channels.

devilfish said:
Sorry! You'll need a crossover ethernet cable. Use an ftp client or internet explorer. In the browser address bar type ftp://192.168.1.100 (replace with your ip address), username is root and password is dreambox. Navigate to /var/tuxbux/config/zapit and copy the services and bouquets files from the link that notanotherone has posted. On box, press MENU and goto SERVICE MENU > RELOAD CHANNELS, press OK and you should have all the channels.
are any of you guys on msn/yahoo/aol messenger, easier to talk me through this, once iam told once i'll know what to do in future, iam a very fast learner ???

i have the crossover ethernet cable by the way.

thomson said:
are any of you guys on msn/yahoo/aol messenger, easier to talk me through this, once iam told once i'll know what to do in future, iam a very fast learner ???

i have the crossover ethernet cable by the way.

Sorry...I'm behind a proxy just now so no msn.

1. Connect cable from dreambox to pc
2. Set box ip address to 192.168.1.100 and press 'restart network'
3. Set PC ip address to 192.168.1.5
4. Open internet explorer and click this ftp://192.168.1.100
5. Username root
6. Password dreambox
7. Goto /var/tuxbox/config/zapit
8. Copy the files that notanotherone posted into this location and overwrite.
9. Reboot box and you should be laughing

devilfish said:
Sorry...I'm behind a proxy just now so no msn.

1. Connect cable from dreambox to pc
2. Set box ip address to 192.168.1.100 and press 'restart network'
3. Set PC ip address to 192.168.1.5
4. Open internet explorer and click this ftp://192.168.1.100
5. Username root
6. Password dreambox
7. Goto /var/tuxbox/config/zapit
8. Copy the files that notanotherone posted into this location and overwrite.
9. Reboot box and you should be laughing

but if i connect the crossover ethernet cable does that not mean i have to unplug my ethernet cable that my modem is using ?? i only have one ethernet port on the pc ?? please advise, or do i just save the links etc you posted then click on them even with the modem unplugged they will work ?

thomson said:
but if i connect the crossover ethernet cable does that not mean i have to unplug my ethernet cable that my modem is using ?? i only have one ethernet port on the pc ?? please advise, or do i just save the links etc you posted then click on them even with the modem unplugged they will work ?

If you only have one ethernet port on your PC and you're using it for broadband then I wouldn't advise connecting the dbox to it, as you would have to set the ip address manually, and it's probably set to dhcp just now!

Do you have a router that you could connect it to? Or a USB to ETHERNET adapter thingy? There's no other way...unless you manage to get it to scan. Check the scan settings again, use 6887 for N*L and 6952 for TW or even try bruteforce.

do urself a favour thomson look for some tuts have a read then when u get stuck ask for help
DevilFish has gave u a step by step so that should help u loads :)

devilfish said:
If you only have one ethernet port on your PC and you're using it for broadband then I wouldn't advise connecting the dbox to it, as you would have to set the ip address manually, and it's probably set to dhcp just now!

Do you have a router that you could connect it to? Or a USB to ETHERNET adapter thingy? There's no other way...unless you manage to get it to scan. Check the scan settings again, use 6887 for N*L and 6952 for TW or even try bruteforce.
i dont have a router or adapters mate :(, thought i had a spare ethernet card but i had a look and dont, feckkkkkk ! :(, where in the menu do i check those scan settings for ntl and how do i try bruteforce ??

if worse comes to worse i'll have to do the manually setting the ip address thingy.
by the way mate, i notice your in south lanarkshire, iam in glasgow, anyways, look mate, i get free landline calls if you dont mind me giving ya a call, or vice versa, i know some people are a bit funny with giving phone numbers out etc but i dont mind giving you mines even if you dont wanna give yours etc, ive been a member of digy world for about 6 years now, iam as sound as a pound, no worries, let me know.
pm me if need be.

where do i enter the 6887 again, is that symbol rate or frequency ?? i cant remember.
Also, there are extra boxs i see an extra 4 box's after where i could enter in more digits, so would that be 68870000 ??? or just 6887 ?

also where it says "cable provider" it says "sym6952 (uk)", i cant seem to change that to ntl ?

edit :>> also i have a serial port cable and adapter if its possible that way.

Last edited:
In the cable provider bit, where it says Sym6952, you need to change that to sym6887. Normally you just press ok and it toggles between them, if it doesn't, it's not setup properly and you'll definately need to connect it to your PC.

devilfish said:
In the cable provider bit, where it says Sym6952, you need to change that to sym6887. Normally you just press ok and it toggles between them, if it doesn't, it's not setup properly and you'll definately need to connect it to your PC.
it wont change :( feckkk, and now ive changed the freq and symbol rate to 68870000, how do i get that back to ******** ?? or dont it matter as i need to flash it anyway ??
Plus as i said, what about the serial port, i see the box has a serial port and i have a serial cable ??? i also have rs232 interface.

thomson said:
it wont change :( feckkk, and now ive changed the freq and symbol rate to 68870000, how do i get that back to ******** ?? or dont it matter as i need to flash it anyway ??
Plus as i said, what about the serial port, i see the box has a serial port and i have a serial cable ??? i also have rs232 interface.

You can use a program called Dreamup (in the download section). You need a null modem cable though! Yeh...never thought of that! I think there's a tut for it too. UK04 image is in a sticky in the download section too.

devilfish said:
You can use a program called Dreamup (in the download section). You need a null modem cable though! Yeh...never thought of that! I think there's a tut for it too. UK04 image is in a sticky in the download section too.
i have a null modem cable :)

can anyone help me with that please ?
its uk04 image thats already on it though.

can someone tell me why i cant change "In the cable provider bit, where it says Sym6952, you need to change that to sym6887" even though its uk04 software installed ??

Bronto said:
Read apintofmilks tutorial here

http://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/forums/62622-guide_newbie_guide_for_setting.html

It will give you a good idea of how to setup your network so you will be able to use flashwizard to flash the box and also set the network up so you will be able to ftp the services across
sorry for being a right diddy guys, but what is gemini software, its neutrino thats on this box, does this guide work the same way ???
I keep saying remember iam a total novice with dreambox, ive only worked with eurovox, please have patience with me me as iam sure you were in my shoes at one point.
cheers guys :Cheers:

Back