How often do you do it?

digidude

Sheep worrier.
VIP Member
Reaction score
OK, how many of you are already thinking perverted things? lol

Im talking about putting out your whellie bin.

Back last year, my daughter had some sort of school project about recycling, and was always going on at me for weeks about having the recycle just about bloody everything. For weeks i called her my little eco warrior lol

anyway, i bought one of those compost bin thingys, and put it out the garden, and from last summer, started recycling my waste. Food waste into the little bags and into the little food bin. fruit, veg, garden waste into the compost bin. paper card, plastic, cans, etc, etc all sorted into different bags, and put out for recycling

Ive now even found that instead of leaving cardboard and plastic from dishes with customers to get rid of, im stuffing them into the back of the van, and putting them into recycling bags as well

but, the last time my actual whellie bin was put out, was the begining of november, since then, other than the food waste which they use for something or the other, EVERYTHING has been put out for recycling instead of going to landfill

has anyone here gone that long without doing it? putting the wheelie bin out that is.

No mine goes out once per week and is usually 3/4 full or full.

We recycle cans glass and paper but the council only provide poxy little tubs which get full rather quickly and they are only emptied fortnightly.

We then have a brown wheelie bin which is for garden waste and cardboard. The thing we don't recycle is plastic and it's probably one of the biggest things we dispose of.

We had a survey done at the door and i brought this up and he told me they were looking into plastic recycling that was last summer. What annoys me is they don't make it easy. our nearest recycling drop off is far away and ill be buggered if I'm going to have plastic cluttering up the place.

Why they can't just give you a bin for everything and then sort it out at a depot is beyond me.

Out council has recently installed a organic waste incinerator for generating power from bio waste. I can now throw anything organic waste in there, cooked and uncooked food, meat, bones, paper, garden waste, bedding from the pets, etc. That wheelie bin gets collected weekly. As do black sacks for general waste.

We have pink sacks for general recycling of paper, plastics, tins, etc and box for glass, they both get collected every other week.

The only item not recycled is electric, they have to be taken down local recycling place which I pass on my way to work.

With two kids and two adults in the house on average we generate 3/4 full black sack once a week. Most of that is plastic that council can't deal with.

We seem to generate a ton of rubbish (family of 4 ... 2 adults and 2 children)

normal bin goes out every week ... full

extra large recycling bin once a month ... full

garden ect once a month ... full

around every 3 months still have to take a trip to the council recycling yard with a load of stuff that won't fit in the bins.

@manx

From the council we have a blue bin and a black bin, blue bin is for recycling, plastic, cans, cardboard etc they sort out, and is collected fortnightly. The black one is for household waste and is collected weekly.

I also have a compost bin for peelings garden waste etc, im doing my bit lol.

Blue bin for recycling and green bin for waste.

they get collected every two weeks anything cardboard or plastic gets recycled but our council don't take glass :(

We have a black wheelie bin for general waste. A green wheelie bin for recycled waste and A brown wheelie bin for garden waste (which also acts as a composter (well to a certain extent)).

I would have thought they would have the same colour scheme up and down the country this obviously is not the case lol.

To be honest I should use the green bin more often although I was disheartened to see a couple of months ago the refuge collectors putting both general and recycled in the same wagon :-(

we now have a big grey bin for paper/carboard big green bin for plastics and cans big brown bin plus small brown kitchen caddy for food waste you can also put garden waste into brown bin.And we have small blue bin for landfill its a diffrent bin that gets picked up every week.And our landfill bin is hardly ever full now only thing i got to go recycly myself is glass.The thing we put most in the landfill bin is the bairns nappys.

Last edited:
big green wheelie bin for garden waste and organic waste from the kitchen collected weekly but I only put it out once a month or so.

Orange bin for glass (fortnightly)

pink sacks for recycle stuff (fortnightly) normally between 4-6 bags a fortnight.

black sacks for landfill (weekly) 1/2 bag max

We also have a small grey bin for kitchen scraps that gets emptied into the big green wheelie bin, this doesn't get used a great deal as what the dog doesn't eat the guinea pigs get.

The thing we put most in the landfill bin is the bairns nappys.

There is a recycling machine for nappies, problem is it costs several million. I am surprised essex council didn't buy one and offer to recycle nappies for other councils, I know they get income for disposing of other councils waste already.

General waste goes out - fortnightly

Paper and Card - Monthly ( emptied fortnightly if needed )

Plastic Bottles/Glass and Tins - Monthly ( emptied fortnightly if needed )

Garden waste and food waste - Every as and When ( emptied forinightly if needed )

The General Waste,Card and Paper along with Food/Garden are Weeks 1 and 3
The food/Garden and Plastic Bottles/glass and Tins are Week 2 and 4

Sure makes a big differance to the amount of waste you disguard if you don't recycle.

not got wheelie bins for general rubbish. once a week old style metal bins to put black bags into
cardboard and plastics once a fortnight
got glass, clothes bins round the corner just use when we need to.

council quite good on bigger items like furniture just put out day of normal collection and they pick it up in the afternoon.

Last edited:
council quite good on bigger items like furniture just put out day of normal collection and they pick it up in the afternoon.

your lucky m8 round here we have to pay £17.50 to get large items removed, and they wonder why people fly tip.

Green bin for general rubbish
Blue bin for glass/plastic/paper recycling
Brown bin for garden and food waste

weekly at present but come June fortnightly, but our council tax is frozen this year

your lucky m8 round here we have to pay £17.50 to get large items removed, and they wonder why people fly tip.

They collect large items for free round here. Only two things are with electric items you have to cut the plug off and for fridges you have to take the door off.

Grey bin for gen waste Blue bin for paper cans cardboard. Emptied every 2 weeks in rotation.
Any large items ie furniture etc. Left outside and the Poles Feck off with it :banana:

black bags for general household weekly.
paper/cardboard in blue box & plastic/metal/glass in green box fortnightly.
and grass/garden etc in green bags fortnightly.

Black Wheelie Bin for general rubbish, Red Box's for Plastic/Cans/Glass, Yellow bag for Cardboard, Blue bag for Paper and a Brown Wheelie Bin for Garden waste.

Week One Black Bin
Week Two The rest.

Clothes Depot around the corner. Large Items that can be re-used and In OK-ish Nick go's to the Local Furniture Project.

Other Large Items that are not in good nick the council charges £15 for the first 2 large items then £5 per large item there after. But 9 time's out of 10 they just clear everything You have for £15 if You offer them a cuppa :)

green for recycling collection every 2 weeks.
black for waste(non recycable/general waste) collected every week
brown for leaves, shrubs, small plants etc collected every month or two.

ours green recycle bin generally fills up far quicker than the black rubbish bin :Clap:

Been looking at the this thread an had a idea and so at the risk of being shot down or shat upon can i suggest a recycling of all our beer & food cans as the price of scrap metal is crazy now, and it could be donated to DavidH charity or others here

I know it would mean pickup & delivery costs nationwide but if most users contribute their empty cans then it wont be long in mounting up for a monthly or 2 monthly pickup from local points.

need someone better at maths & business skills than myself that can do a bit of research into the costs and logistics, just needs members to say how much cans on average they will put out a month an work from there to see if its a worth it.

I’ll have about 100 beer cans an 40 food tins.

Just an idea be good if it was viable for a good cause

Back