Help with setting up IP Config for Camera

In the Remote Viewer Software under settings I have put the IP of the DVR 192.168.X.X followed by the Port number 8000 which is the same in the dvr box but it is sitll not working.

I am not sure what im doing wrong when i select connect it even says connection established but no picture appears?

hey mate

right good news - when i open the REMOTE VIEWER SOFTWARE I can see the images on the SHOP Computer.

What do i now do to try and see the images from my HOME?

I believe i have to go to whatismyip website from the SHOP PC which i did and use that IP address in the software right? I tried this with port number 8000 but nothing happens?

Good stuff.

Now you gotta make sure your router is configured properly.

Because it works from the shop pc, it will definitely work from home.

Your router has to forward traffic coming on port 8000 to 192.168.1.2

Then from home, your remote viewer will just have the ip address from whatismyip.com and the port number as 8000 and if the router is configured properly, then it will work.

What router do you have? Try it first and let us know if it works, if not, let us know the router make/model and we'll try to help :)

hi mate

i did try that but unfortunately it doesnt work..

The Router I have is the DSL-2640R Wireless Router/Modem,

I have setup port forwarding on 192.168.1.2 on 8000 Port number

Thanks

hi

i went on the link you gave and followed those instructions...first i went onto this link
PortForward.com - Free Help Setting up Your Router or Firewall

to create the static ip on the SHOP PC

once that was done i went to the link you gave me and followed the instrucitons but nothing has happened?

For the static IP i created I havent even used it so i dont know why i was told to create that first? :S

Also i downaloaded their PORT CHECKER TOOL and when i typed in 8000 it said this PORT IS NOT OPEN OR UNREACHABLAE

I even disabled my firewall and it still doesnt work

any ideas

pls ring me if you can i can give you my number via PM?

hi
can anyone help me out? i sitll have had no luckj...pls PM me your num i will call you?

thanks

Are you adding the port number to the address when you go to the URL...?

E.G. youripaddy.com:portNumber

im using the application software that came so in the setting I have put the IP ADDRESS which is 192.168.1.2 and the poirt number but i think this is not the right IP address to put right?? as this is local IP Address of the DVR Camera system

I can access it fine internally but its the external thats not working??

i dont have a static IP Address is that maybe the reason why it doesnt work?..im not too sure what it is so if somreone can help me out would appreciate it?

i dont have a static IP Address is that maybe the reason why it doesnt work?..im not too sure what it is so if somreone can help me out would appreciate it?

I have set up a mates system which in principle is the same as yours

To access the cameras remotely you have to use the ip address of the router on the wan side not the internal ip address you use to access the router from your pc.

Go to google and type in whats my ip address ? and this will give you your current wan ip , use this in a web browser from a computer at another location and if port forwarding is set up correctly it should forward you to your cameras.

As you don't have a static ip this will change everytime your ip lease expires or you reset your modem/router

There are sites that that offer ddns like freeola that update your ip address for you everytime it changes.

A static ip address , this is deffo the way to go , u should contact your isp and see what they charge for a static ip or move to one that does it cheaper

HTH

Last edited:
I have set up a mates system which in principle is the same as yours

To access the cameras remotely you have to use the ip address of the router on the wan side not the internal ip address you use to access the router from your pc.

Go to google and type in whats my ip address ? and this will give you your current wan ip , use this in a web browser from a computer at another location and if port forwarding is set up correctly it should forward you to your cameras.

As you don't have a static ip this will change everytime your ip lease expires or you reset your modem/router

There are sites that that offer ddns like freeola that update your ip address for you everytime it changes.

A static ip address , this is deffo the way to go , u should contact your isp and see what they charge for a static ip or move to one that does it cheaper

HTH

hi mate

i tried entering the WAN IP i got from the what is my ip website but even that didnt work...i think my portforwarding may be wrong or more specfically something in my router is confgured wrong because for port forwarding i have put the internal ip[ address of the CAMERA which is 192.168.1.2 and then assigned a port number 8000 which is what is set on the DVR camera system too...im not sure what ive done wrong..can u pm me your email or phone number so i can maybe go through it and showyou?

Would appreciate that

thanks

As you said Digi, the 192 is local, that won't let you in externally. You'll need your ISP issued ip addy. So, get that, then try punching it in to your web browsers address bar, and remember to add the :portNumber bit, immediately after the ip addy, with no spaces, etc.

If that still doesn't work, then I'd say your router isn't config'd properly to allow you access to the cam.

Also, don't get too caught up on the static ip thing. Unless you're constantly signing in/rebooting the modem then I doubt the ip is changing quick enough to interfere with a few quick tests to get in to your cam. If you are worried that much, then sign up to a free DNS service, and use that as your addy to access the cam with. (Again the router will need to be config'd for this.)

https://www.dyndns.com/
No-IP - Dynamic DNS, Static DNS for Your Dynamic IP
ZoneEdit.Com : Simplified example of how DNS works (ZoneEdit.com)

EDIT -

Links for you... http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Dlink/DSL-2640R/DSL-2640Rindex.htm
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/

Last edited:
Im having great trouble understanding how to set up DYNdns. I know that my router allows me to use this and i need to create a dynDNS account which ive done but i dont know what to do?

the first thing is set up port forwarding correctly in your router and make sure it works..... youl need to forward port 8000 to the ip address of your dlink router, from reading this seems to be 192.168.1.2 to check if the port is open goto Open Port Check Tool fill in the box where it asks you which port you want to check (8000) and it will tell you if the port is open or not, there is no point doing anything else until you get that much sorted, this is probably the most difficult part of it but it shouldn't be too bad... see how you get on..

Hi Installer,

Ok I have done this and I get a SUCCESFULL MESSAGE like below

Success: I can see your service on port (8000)
Your ISP is not blocking port 8000

I have set my CAMERA to work on PORT 8000

With this camera came a software called RemoteViewer8 which I am using to see the live pictures from the camera at my HOUSE. I can send this to you for you to check but is it the case that this is wokring means that something is blocking my application then from accessing the camera via the Internet or not?

When i open this application I have a black user interface which I have attached here. You will see on this a SETTINGS Button when i click on that it openss up the SETTINGS window that I have attached the screenshot of as well.

Now what I am doing is for the "IP Address" field: - I am putting in the IP ADDRESS of the SHOP PC (the one i get when i go to WhatismyIp.com) and in Port im putting in "8000" like whats set in the Router port forwarding and also the Camera unit interface too. but it still does not seem to work?

From these screenshots is it easier to understand where the problem lies?

Would appreciate if someone can help me through this and get it resolved :S

Thanks

hi

Right in the Settings i put the IP Address and 8000 port and it now works from an EXTERNAL LOCATION so i can see it from home however after vieweing it for 10-15 mins it disconnected because i rebooted the Router at the SHOP and the IP ADDRESS changed.

Therefore I created a New Free DynDNS account and put my network IP ADDRESS in and created a new host and then in the Routers Menu I enabled the Dynamic DNS. However in the DynDNS website on here ( https://www.dyndns.com/support/clients/) advises to INSTALL CLIENT SOFTWARE to modify the IP Address if the router changes it in a day week or month etc.

Therefore I installed this on the Desktop PC but if I close this PC daily then how will it change the IP automatically when my PC is shut?

I believe i had to assign the MAC address of the DVR Security camera to the local IP Address (192.168.1.2) but in this router im not sure where i have to do that if it is required?

If someone can shed some light on this I think i will finally have resolved it

Thanks for the help!!

I also use dyndns.org to track my external ip address for my cctv dvr.
Resetting the pc at the shop shouldn't alter anything as the ip to your shop wouldn't change, rebooting the modem might though.
The only issue I have is that I need to visit the dyndns website every month as I'm using the free version, works fine though m8.

Curly

Back