Help with setting up IP Config for Camera

ah I am looking for it to be done automatically and I dont want to be going into DynDNS to change the IP every month either...there must be a way of doing it isnt there?

I think you can subscribe to dyndns and not have to do the monthly visit thing.
You don't need to change your ip, they do it all, it's just to confirm it's still active m8
I used them when I was a the same stage you are at, to see if I could get it all to work.
As it worked ok I left it alone lol. I get an emeil reminder to visit the site etc, just need to remember to do it before I go away etc.

Maybe there are other free ones that do the same thing?

Curly

Last edited:
You got it working? Excellent mate. What internet service provider are you with at the shop? If you are with Virgin Media, then you don't really need to use DynDns as the IP address of your modem rarely changes (only noticed it changing when you lose internet for no apparent reason and you reboot the modem) , even if you reboot the modem when it is working normally, i have noticed that the IP address doesn't change unless there was a fault like i explained in the brackets.

If it is an ADSL internet going through your phone line, then your IP address will change quite frequently and yes in that case you should get a dyndns account to allow you to have a static IP address.

So what was the problem? From what I'm reading, it seems you were still trying to put the 192 IP address from home when I kept on telling you to put the one from "what is my IP" ! lol

You got it working? Excellent mate. What internet service provider are you with at the shop? If you are with Virgin Media, then you don't really need to use DynDns as the IP address of your modem rarely changes (only noticed it changing when you lose internet for no apparent reason and you reboot the modem) , even if you reboot the modem when it is working normally, i have noticed that the IP address doesn't change unless there was a fault like i explained in the brackets.

If it is an ADSL internet going through your phone line, then your IP address will change quite frequently and yes in that case you should get a dyndns account to allow you to have a static IP address.

So what was the problem? From what I'm reading, it seems you were still trying to put the 192 IP address from home when I kept on telling you to put the one from "what is my IP" ! lol

Hi mate

No i am trying to use the ip add from that Whatismyip.com website at home but now its stopped working again. I think I am nearly there but when i tried accessing it this morning its stopped working again...can you please help me out? - im not sure about DynDNS updating at the shop - say IP does change does that mean I need my PC on for it to update and make changes otherwise i cant access the cameras externally can I??

I have put the IP Address and the Port number but it doesnt want to connect again now :S

Here is my scrreenshot from the Modem/router i have in my store? can someone help me have i set this correctly??

so why is isnt it letting me acces the cameras when i try and do it now from home? IT worked but not doesnt work again...:(

so why is isnt it letting me acces the cameras when i try and do it now from home? IT worked but not doesnt work again...:(

Is the DNS info still tallying up with the ip addy...? Are you switching off the modem daily? What happens if you leave it on 24/7...?

Is the DNS info still tallying up with the ip addy...? Are you switching off the modem daily? What happens if you leave it on 24/7...?

hi mate

i leave modem/router on daily. I only switch the PC off. the DynDNS does not seem to be updating the IP when it changes i think right?...

not read the whole thread yet, but dont want to sound daft but that pic you put up of your router settings, in the pic you only have the password in the password box, you did after the pic was taken enter it in the verify box aswell and hit confirm?

might be telling you to suck eggs but ive just gone off what ive seen in that pic.

still not read it, ive had no sleep so my heads not in order but have you tried using a different provider for dydns just to rule out who you signed up with?

i use DynDNS.com: Free DNS Hosting, E-mail Delivery, and VPS Hosting and use a dyndns.org prefix, it may be your just isnt updating regular, i know mines 100% all the time but i use mine for another reason lol.

i will have a look later but my heads wrecked at the min to get involved in techy probs.

wait told you my head was gone your using that lol, still id try another just to rule it out. other than that its got to be a config problem wither with your pc or camera, some settings somewhere.

still not read it, ive had no sleep so my heads not in order but have you tried using a different provider for dydns just to rule out who you signed up with?

i use DynDNS.com: Free DNS Hosting, E-mail Delivery, and VPS Hosting and use a dyndns.org prefix, it may be your just isnt updating regular, i know mines 100% all the time but i use mine for another reason lol.

i will have a look later but my heads wrecked at the min to get involved in techy probs.

wait told you my head was gone your using that lol, still id try another just to rule it out. other than that its got to be a config problem wither with your pc or camera, some settings somewhere.

Hi.

How do I install the DynDNS on My ROUTER/WIRELESS instead of the pc because this is why it may not be working

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
yes it is ...but im talking about the UPDATER which updates the IP address when it changes...can i not install it or put it somehow within the router? and not in the desktop because if desktiop shuts down then its useless as ip might change allowing me not to view camera externally...can someone kindly offer to ring me or provide me their number i think maybe speaking over the phone goign through it may help me..as its still not working :(

right after reading i think i may have found your problem, theres lots of different things being said and stuff you have said but one thing stood out, you said you had it working from an external source, this means you had it set up ok.

then you mention after 15 mins you rebooted the router and it didnt work.

from this my idea if right is that when you reboot the router its giving your dvr a different ip (no not isp ip i mean router ip) eg:192.168.1.2 then you reboot and it will give it say for example 192.168.1.5,

now how this causes a problem is that you have the ip addy 192.168.1.2 manually inputted in the dvr (if i have read correctly) so when you rebooted the router gave it the example 192.168.1.5 addy.

if ive misread then ignore what ive said but if what ive said above is right then you need to set the dvr to have the same ip from the router (again not isp ip i mean router ip 192.168.1.2)

right check your router again and see what router ip the dvr has now? then find in the router ip reservation (will be named that or something similar) and set the dvr to have the ip its got. what this does is even if you reboot the router the dvr will get the same ip from it so if its 192.168.1.5 even after reboot it will get the same one.

then its a case of (if i have read right) manually putting the router ip in the dvr settings.

i dont think the issue is dns related i think its router dvr related, once you reboot the router it will give it a different router ip and if you have had to manually input the router ip in the dvr then this wont be automatic, so whatever you put in the dvr will stay the same but on the router it will change.

have i lost you yet?

right in steps (presuming ive read the whole post right) that you need to do now, your dysdns looks right in that pic, so continue with below...

find ip that dvr is using now.

find ip reservation in router and set up so the dvr uses that router ip (192 ip)

exit router.

go to settings on dvr (if i read right there manual for ip settings) and input the router ip given to it.

this should get you going, if i have read right that is.

try it from external source again.

thanks mate i think you have a good point - im going to try this as maybe thats why...let me try it now..and get back on here

for some strange reason when i go to attached devices in the Router the DVR is not showing up although its plugged in :(

for some strange reason when i go to attached devices in the Router the DVR is not showing up although its plugged in :(

which is why your not getting any joy, its not connected,

just go to dvr manual ip page, give it any you want, 192.168.1.9 for example. (has this not got dchp? would make it so much easier)

go to address reservation on router set dvr up in there as 192.168.1.9

reboot should pick it up.

Ok mate u are right - I found the DVR in attached devices now after removing ethernet of DVR and reconnecting it. Its showing in the Modem Router as 192.168.1.2 and it says it will expire in 23 Hours 40minutes.

Now I have gone in the LAN SETUP > DHCP Settings and kept the Static IP as static..(See attched Pic)

Now once 23 hours is finished Will it let me access the camera externally without having to do anything else? or change anything? Or am i required to change something now?

Thanks

Back