GU10 LED Replacement Bulbs ?

dibbers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Chaps,

Burning 150 watt with these old style GU10's, there's quite a lot of LED bulbs too choose from, some with 60 or even 80 LED's, cool white and warm and all that? Any one recommend any to me?

Thanks

This is the energy guzzling ones I'd like to replace.

20699_1255341753.jpg

Had mine a while, and got them from E-Bay, but I've been using the 3w (3) LED Day White Bulb GU10's in my Bathroom.

Something like: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-3-x-G...3923162?pt=UK_Light_Bulbs&hash=item1e69cae3da

If I'm honest though they could be brighter. The problem with LED's is whilst they look really nice they are not very bright. 5w is probably the minimum (day white) I would use if I looked to replace them again.

I have side lights on my bath, these use (again not specifically) http://www.ledcentre.uk.com/243-led...m-gu10-led-spot-light-bright-white-230-v.html

In my office I'm using Megaman 9W Compact Reflector Bulbs.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MEGAMAN-9...4403746?pt=UK_Light_Bulbs&hash=item3a6b115f22

Last edited:
I spent a fortune upgrading all mine a few years back with Philips led bulbs, they were sh!t and put my old ones back in after a day. Not sure what the new ones are like though

Yeah thanks chaps, that's what I was wondering, I don't want to spend a bit on these bulbs and find that it looks like a 1 watt energy saver, you know them ones where you 1st put them on and it's like turning the lights out rather than turning them on, they give off the same lighting as a candle would 3 miles away hidden under a bin for 20 minutes until they heat up. :cool:

i have had these 3w 3 led in my kitchen for a few months now and am happy with them. like the ones posted in the ebay link above. i have 10 in the kitchen so the normal GU10s would have been pulling 500 watts, were as these will be pulling 30 watts, big difference. i got the day white ones and noticed they are alot brighter than the standard GU 10 bulbs as the standard give off a warm white. The only thing i would say is the angle of the light emitting from the led bulbs are narrower .They dont have to warm up either, they come on bright straight away.

Last edited:
The megaman ones pretty much do that (take a minute or so to warm up) but It doesn't really give me that much of an issue. All in my house with exception to six in my Kitchen are some form of CFL/LED.

As carlos has also said, the field of emission is narrower with LED.

i have tried a few LED in the kitchen , not found ANY bright enough yet , i keep going back to the halogen G10s.
Eveready long lasting GU10s from maplin really do last a lot longer than any other i have tried. LEDs are just not bright enough.
The problem with the megaman reflector bulbs ( you can buy them from anglo american too ) is they ONLY fit into the ceiling flush type fits .
In other words they will not fit correctly into actual light fittings like these below ...

2410622716_927684afb9.jpg

The search continues for me

Last edited:
i have tried a few LED in the kitchen , not found ANY bright enough yet , i keep going back to the halogen G10s.
Eveready long lasting GU10s from maplin really do last a lot longer than any other i have tried. LEDs are just not bright enough

I think it depends on layout. For example the average home has a center light with it cascading outwards and therefore using LED your not going to really see the benefit unless you have a ceiling where they can be positioned at set intervals (bearing in mind it isn't going to make a hug difference but the light is evenly dispersed)

This is why i use CFL in my office (additionally some CFL are longer so you have to make sure it's not enclosed):

I'm going to do the same and put a false ceiling in my living room, its about 24ft x 15ft and I'm effectively looking at about 10 down lighters.

The bathroom above has 4 LED + 2 which are in a set back shower area I built that you can't see, but at the moment these have standard MR11 Dichroic as they came with the waterproof units, which I'm going to replace with SMB LED (have the replacement transformer and bulbs but too lazy to fit them) - These are also more expensive (cost me about £38 for the two bulbs and controller)

Last edited:
Hi guys, I've got a related question to this if I may?

I put this 4-way spotlight into my girls room last year:

lights.jpg

The problem is when you turn it on it's so bright it's like stepping out of the Big Brother house! Can't leave it on for more than 5 mins as it's just too much. I'm pretty sure when putting it in it said it couldn't be used with a dimmer, but would I be able to stick something like these led bulbs in ok? Are there any rules as to settings/wattages etc?

Thanks

These guys are good for cheapish replacement GU10/LED. GU10 LED Bulbs - MASSIVE discounts on GU10 LED Bulbs and LED Spotlights and these also have good reviews from fellow sparkies that I know GU10 LED Bulbs
If you were thinking along the lines of long term energy saving then invest in some of these Chrome - Mains Dimmable
Very pricey but with a 7 year warranty and they are the "best" replacement for all these spot lights that people have. As LED is still a "young" industry then it IS a case of you get what you pay for. Try and scrimp on the cost and buy cheap Chinese imports ect then you are going to be disappointed and end up back where you started.

Hi guys, I've got a related question to this if I may?

I put this 4-way spotlight into my girls room last year:

View attachment 63214

The problem is when you turn it on it's so bright it's like stepping out of the Big Brother house! Can't leave it on for more than 5 mins as it's just too much. I'm pretty sure when putting it in it said it couldn't be used with a dimmer, but would I be able to stick something like these led bulbs in ok? Are there any rules as to settings/wattages etc?

Thanks

sure mate you can swap them out for GU10 LED bulbs , but it will be much much less bright , try swapping out just one and see if it will do the job .

I didn't think there was so much interest in these bulbs, I might start a site about them! ha! Jokes, but yeah some good tips, I still haven't decided what to go for yet, I Haven't had a look yet and just to throw in the mix any one seen an....oh wait............. they do them, a GU9 led ! ha that's where most of the cash is getting spent me thinks, G10's and the G9's! Time for a change!

Runs off to get some ordered!

dimmbare_g9_gu9_led_lampe.jpg

@ Vector - Oh and you can get ones that will use a dimmer switch as well, Quite dear though but I'm sure looking if you don't mind waiting you can get them from abroad.

Last edited:
I have 1.8Watt Blue LED GU10's in my Front garden sleeper lights and they are bright. I was looking to get some for my soffit lights but haven't found a nice warm 1watt unit. I currently have THESE7 watt GU10 Flouresecent style in my soffits and they are fine for the soft light I want - you might want something brighter though/

I got mine from QVS. They have all sorts on there. May not be the cheapest but if you go in and buy them and you don't like they will replace or refund with no quibble. So go try some and see. Even tell them tahts what you're going to do. They have all sorts of GU10's of all ratings on there just look under lamps. Another Tip ask them for the best price if you are buying bulk they normally have a 10-15% they can knock off. They do for me but I buy a lot of elec kit from them. If you don't have a QVS near you then screwfix of TLC

Last edited:
I have 1.8Watt Blue LED GU10's in my Front garden sleeper lights and they are bright. I was looking to get some for my soffit lights but haven't found a nice warm 1watt unit. I currently have THESE7 watt GU10 Flouresecent style in my soffits and they are fine for the soft light I want - you might want something brighter though/

I got mine from QVS. They have all sorts on there. May not be the cheapest but if you go in and buy them and you don't like they will replace or refund with no quibble. So go try some and see. Even tell them tahts what you're going to do. They have all sorts of GU10's of all ratings on there just look under lamps. Another Tip ask them for the best price if you are buying bulk they normally have a 10-15% they can knock off. They do for me but I buy a lot of elec kit from them. If you don't have a QVS near you then screwfix of TLC

The problem is for me ...the gu10s you have bought for your soffits will not fit in a kitchen light unit .
The tapered ceramic leading upto the led bulbs themselves is a no go(will not fit inside the holder) . its gotta be straight edge like these :
These types FIT ....
index.jpg

ANYTHING tapered is no good ..these do not fit in the holder :

images1.jpg

images2.jpg

so for me the flourescent type bulbs are a no go .

You can get billions of converters for each bulb and that now do they not make one for the tapered edges to fit normal connections for ya?

I've just ordered some of these for one of the rooms.

KGrHqJk4E67PMiMgvBO3GhQE5fQ60_12.jpg

Socket: GU10, 2Pin
Bulb Type: High efficiency multi LED
Number of LED per Lamp: 3 LED
Power: 3W (High power, High Efficiency 1W per LED)
Color: Day white (6500K-7000K), Warm white (3200K-3500K)
Lumens: 300 Lumens
Viewing angle: 30°+ (spot light, good for special and general lighting)
Brightness degradation: <3‰/1kh
Certificate: CE & RoHS compliant
Life Span: More than 50000 Hours
Voltage: AC 200-240V–
Designed to be connected directly to mains voltage

and also a couple of these as well for the table lamps...GU9's

gu9.jpg

the 3w ones will be too dim for the kitchen ....although they are the correct shape.

"A lumen (lm) is the unit of measurement for the amount of light emitted by a light source. A 60-watt light bulb emits 730 lm, while a 50-watt halogen lamp has an output of approximately 900 lm. To achieve the 1,000 lm output for the tiny Ostar Lighting LED, the experts at Siemens’ Osram subsidiary employed a sophisticated system for high chip-packing density, whereby the researchers managed to integrate six high-performance LED lighting chips into the unit’s small housing. Each chip has an area of only one square millimeter, which makes for very concentrated overall luminosity. "

The lamps pictured 2nd on your post dibbers with the little pads on are perfect in brightness ... now only if they would fit in my kitchen downlights....

FOUND SOME ... yes !! these are a fiver each and are equivalent to a normal 50wattt light bulb !! this is it . the search is OVER !!

ViewPicture.aspx.jpg

Last edited:
Dibbs, I think you might be disappointed with the standard 3W (3 x 1W) LED. They work for me in the bathroom because its a confined space and the light is dispersed, but it's not really as bright as I would like it. I tried the same in the office and ended up replacing them with 9W CFL

SMB LED are a lot brighter as said previous (as above)

Hi mate, No I'll be fine me hopes, it's for one of the master bedrooms and it's got the three 50 watt spotlights in at the moment, you can feel the heat of the or maybe dry your hair by standing underneath them so I want a more relaxing atmosphere as well, + I won't get to see the Mrs Dial! I'll report back with the results, the ones I have went for are 300 lumens so that'll be like 900 so I think it might be OK....I don't know, I'll have to see what there like I guess.

Apart from it saving me where the lights are on all the time it be a more mellow place. :cool:

the 3w ones will be too dim for the kitchen ....although they are the correct shape.

"A lumen (lm) is the unit of measurement for the amount of light emitted by a light source. A 60-watt light bulb emits 730 lm, while a 50-watt halogen lamp has an output of approximately 900 lm. To achieve the 1,000 lm output for the tiny Ostar Lighting LED, the experts at Siemens’ Osram subsidiary employed a sophisticated system for high chip-packing density, whereby the researchers managed to integrate six high-performance LED lighting chips into the unit’s small housing. Each chip has an area of only one square millimeter, which makes for very concentrated overall luminosity. "

The lamps pictured 2nd on your post dibbers with the little pads on are perfect in brightness ... now only if they would fit in my kitchen downlights....

FOUND SOME ... yes !! these are a fiver each and are equivalent to a normal 50wattt light bulb !! this is it . the search is OVER !!

View attachment 63233

Nice one! I see what you mean about the little pads pushing out a bit more light, If the ones that I have bought for the GU10's isn't that good then I'll go for some of them. Ordered a smaller GU9 (or G9) for one of the lamps as well, see what they are like.!

Happy Days.

One of these with a few more pads on.

gu9.jpg

Back