Got a job and it needs satellite distribution

thats easy enough then m8

one of these

--|AV19290|HDMI DISTRIBUTION AMPLIFIER, 1 | CPC

use ready made HDMI leads, then either a magic eye distribution system for the IR commands, and if not using sky box then use the tvlink plus kit, or a wireless solution to do the same thing

as well as the normal multiswitch system for sat/terr feeds to each room as well

thats how id do it

@Mickie you say it's not overly important, but when the customer asks for more n they do, it becomes important!

What I'm saying is think Cable n Not Gizmo's with a well thought out Cable Infrastructure you can achieve whatever you want with gizmos @ a later date!

By running a pair of Coaxal n a pair of Cat5e you have a multitude of options.

Lets say bare bones basic install, SlyHD box central control location, use RF2 to RF Distro to as many rooms as you like, standard IR links for remote control.
(Waste of HD but every location has a signal n control)

Add HDMI to Main Location, HDMI from SlyHD to Cat5e Gizmo(Transmit) to Cat5e Gizmo(Recieve) to HDMI to TV (Could be AV Amp)

Add HDMI to Two Locations, HDMI from SlyHD to HDMI 1 in 2 Out Distro to Cat5e Gizmo(Transmit) to Cat5e Gizmo(Recieve) to HDMI to TV (Could be AV Amp)

Do you get my drift, The better gizmos you get the better function but the cable is still the same it's just how you route it!

With the number of Cat5e gizmos out there you could achieve almost any setup you want which is why if running cables I promote running Cat5 for future flexibility.

Last edited:
Yes mate I do agree :)

A couple of questions:

if you run a mulitswitch setup (coax 2 x to each room) is the multiswitch doing the IR ?
I am sure that multiswitches will control the IR from RF2 on most multiswitches ?

I think controlling the IR is probably the most important.

I do not mind running cat5 its cheap easy to make the plugs lol... what more can you ask and even the shielded twisted pair is cheap

Mickie

I do not mind running cat5 its cheap easy to make the plugs lol... what more can you ask and even the shielded twisted pair is cheap

I agree and I'm sure this will give you a get out of jail free card later! lol

if you run a mulitswitch setup (coax 2 x to each room) is the multiswitch doing the IR ?
I am sure that multiswitches will control the IR from RF2 on most multiswitches ?

As for IR control it depends how things are connected, my bare bones example with a single box in a central location is controlled via the second 9v RF of said box, so it would be possible for you to just have a HDMI Cat5 connection without IR for HD signal and the RF carries the IR. (Note that setup dosn't need a multiswitch but cables for it are there for upgrade later)

Use of a multiswitch is really to give you the ability for a SlyHD Box in every Room for peronal viewing no need for remote IR control and as stated in a previous post if you want to hide the box in the room I would use the second RF of said box with just an IR reciever discretely place.

Last edited:
They are nice but the point that you need to plug a 5v adaptor into them makes them pretty pointless as a wall plate ? surely you should not see power going into them and put it in the inside of the box ?

But I am decided I will run the normal multi switch stuff so they if they want extra boxes in the rooms later they can have it.

I will install one of them hdmi switches that digi posted from CPC, and run to every room the 2 x cat 5 to be plugged in behind the tele.

Thanks for the help and if you have any more suggestions let me know

Mickie

They are nice but the point that you need to plug a 5v adaptor into them makes them pretty pointless as a wall plate ? surely you should not see power going into them and put it in the inside of the box ?
Most if not all Cat5 Gizmo's require power especially longer runs, that's not a prob though only one end needs power and that end I would stick in the central hub hidden away.

But I am decided I will run the normal multi switch stuff so they if they want extra boxes in the rooms later they can have it.
Def makes sense in my book

I will install one of them hdmi switches that digi posted from CPC, and run to every room the 2 x cat 5 to be plugged in behind the tele.
Will you need to distribute HDMI to 8 location?

mickie, the triax modules that i use that i showed you, also has an HDMI socket ;)

so in a double wall plate, you could have a tri-plexed tv-sat-sat, HDMI and telephone connection

ive not got a HDMI module to hand or id take a pic and upload it for you of what itd look like with all 3 in place

mickie, the triax modules that i use that i showed you, also has an HDMI socket ;)

so in a double wall plate, you could have a tri-plexed tv-sat-sat, HDMI and telephone connection

ive not got a HDMI module to hand or id take a pic and upload it for you of what itd look like with all 3 in place

This it digi?
View attachment 50233

I'm sharing one source between most of the rooms in the house and all the source equipment is housed in the loft. I opted to run plenty of Cat5e to each room with coaxial cable and some speaker cable for luck. If I had any cable lying around it went in the walls.

I used cheap HDMI baluns which worked fine for under 15m runs, remember that baluns will need power so plan accordingly.

To split the source I bought a second hand Gefen 8 way HDMI distribution amp with 2 in and 8 out. As it's not a switch I never have any handshake problems, home systems must work 100% of the time. These things retail for hundreds of pounds but can be picked up on ebay for appx £50 S/H. Octava also make great HDMI devices.

If you experience handshake problems and power cycles do not resolve the problem then think about HD video over component (dont forget audio wiring then). Component distribution amps can be picked up for silly prices brand new as the world has gone HDMI crazy.

I use a harmony 895 for my remote needs, it works of RF so no pissing around with IR. I'd advise any serious installer on a budget to look itno using Main lobby, that's what I'm working on now.

I use a harmony 895 for my remote needs, it works of RF so no pissing around with IR. I'd advise any serious installer on a budget to look itno using Main lobby, that's what I'm working on now.

Main Lobby now there's an intersting bit of kit with shed loads of capability it seems

That looks interesting, not got ya iphone for control then?
Cinemar • View topic - Fun and Games with your iPhone / iTouch

Can this be pickup for a trial ;)

I'm not an iphone user, yes it's a wonderful device but I have a lovely cheap tablet PC which can stay in the cinema room all of the time. I was after something to emulate Crestron equipment and I found this to be a perfect solution, it really is very powerful once you start connecting everything up via serial ports.

can I get a link to main lobby ?

Did use google but it brang up some living room site???

Also I would like to thank you all for all the posts and help... its a little minefield lol.

I still do not know if I will get the job but I have given the client things to think about :)

Mickie

can I get a link to main lobby ?
Cinemar - Home Automation and Media Management Solutions

its a little minefield lol.
Your not kidding m8, I've gone to great pains not to open the can of worms that is AV Control! It's worthy of its own Thread.When I first started looking @ DIY control possiblities I used a win98 laptops IRDA port to fire multiple IR commands via a .bat file to achieve simple automation.

NetRemote n Girder are for the real DIYers, Crestron n AMX are the Top end.

Munkey will prob disown me but I have a Crestron Mc2E and TPMC-8X that I got for testing purposes on a job, has not been touched in over a year as I know when I start I will have to pull everything apart n plan exactly what I want it to do before I start programming it!, such a watse of a lovely bit of kit. LOL

Cinemar - Home Automation and Media Management Solutions

Your not kidding m8, I've gone to great pains not to open the can of worms that is AV Control! It's worthy of its own Thread.When I first started looking @ DIY control possiblities I used a win98 laptops IRDA port to fire multiple IR commands via a .bat file to achieve simple automation.

NetRemote n Girder are for the real DIYers, Crestron n AMX are the Top end.

Munkey will prob disown me but I have a Crestron Mc2E and TPMC-8X that I got for testing purposes on a job, has not been touched in over a year as I know when I start I will have to pull everything apart n plan exactly what I want it to do before I start programming it!, such a watse of a lovely bit of kit. LOL

Oh my, that is very nice indeed. If I tilt my tabletPC and close one eye in a darkened room it kinda looks like a bloated TPMC-8X. I'm quite envious, what great toys you have. If you ever get the upgrade bug, remember ya old DW forum buddy Munkey :blushing:

It took me a week to get my anamorphic lens sled to move left and right..

Oh my, that is very nice indeed. If I tilt my tabletPC and close one eye in a darkened room it kinda looks like a bloated TPMC-8X. I'm quite envious, what great toys you have. If you ever get the upgrade bug, remember ya old DW forum buddy Munkey :blushing:

It took me a week to get my anamorphic lens sled to move left and right..

I always have the upgrade bug m8, I just don't like letting anthing go! LOL But you have first refusal Munkey if it happens.

Was the lens sled serial control?

The Mc2e is a good home control processor as it covers the main protocols, IR, TCP/IP, Serial and I/O contact closure. The nice thing is you can create a Xpanel that runs in windows that emulates your touch panel for testing.

Back