Got a job and it needs satellite distribution

Mick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I have been given the task to install satellite in a house for a client and they want to be able to watch satellite in each room.

The only thing is they probably only need one box but incase of guests they might get extra ones.

I was thinking to install the box/es in a cupboard downstairs and get hdmi cables to the bedrooms.

I can install satellite distribution (multi switch, quadplex, etc) systems all day long but this one requires a little thought.

Problems and suggestions might be based around this:

1. Furthest room is the loft and it is approx 25 meters (I/O drop worry)
  2. Other rooms will be about 15 - 20 meters max
  3. I will be going through the joists so should the hdmi be made or would I need to make it (would a 25mm flat bit be enough)
  4. What about controlling the systems if I run HDMI what is the best way to change channels etc (harmony????).
  5. 6 Rooms need this setup
  6. splitting the HDMI to more TV's ?

Anything else I might have missed if you have some ideas that will be great

Mickie

I would consider HDMI over a pair of Cat5e Cables with a box of tricks something like this:
HDMI over Cat 5 (Dual) Balun Pair - Long Distance HDMI
Just an example not a reommendation.

Cat5 much easier to run n terminated, longer hdmi runs can be an issue althougth those distances look just ok without amp.

I would think that cabling for the multi switch option would still give u the most flexibity.

hi there, will it be sky hd in every room.?

as for control of each reciever if its sky recievers , as your running cables why not run coax from rf2 of each reciver.? and use sky eye things......

if its normal sat recivers then you want some sort of ir senders......

any reason why the recivers cant be in every room rather than being altogether in 1 place.?

how about this..

hxxp://sciontechnology.net/home_ent.html

PRO-6098 8 Port Transmitter

Extends video, stereo audio and IR over 350m
Line powered receivers
IR Pass-through on all 8 ports (common control)
No adjustments required
Contents: 8 Port transmitter, IR emitter and PSU
PRO-6098 8 Port Transmitter

Last edited:
if its just for sky/freesat and depending on the number of rooms, why not just put a multi-output lnb and each box can be used separately.

I have been putting satellite distributions in 20 flats and above with 4 bedrooms each so I am pretty ok with satellite distribution over multiswitches etc.

Its the boxes to this client are an eye sore, I think they want all box / s in the cupboard and hdmi run to the rooms but the problem I face is how I go about controlling each box.

I thought a Harmony wifi remote or a separate cable for the IR ?

Installing it with the boxes in the rooms would be perfect but these boxes must be out of sight.

Problems I face is signal loss on the I/O level if I run long HDMI, and controlling each box.

Regards
Mickie

VERY VERY IMPRESSED with this especially the IR capability's but Jesus Christ over 500 dollars :Fish: thats a nasty bill for an installation :Fish:

Agreed, but some Crestron or AMX installs run into the $100,000 range, Getting a good distribution matrix (any source to any room) with remote control in HD to 6 rooms costs, but these kind of gizmos are becoming more available @ a reasonable cost. (China should be able to knock them out cheap) So it worth looking around.
--|AV18497|HDMI OVER CAT5 WITH IR EXTENDER | CPC

I suppose I'm really pushing the idea of running a Cat5e or Cat6 Network which has a multi function use, given the cost of running HDMI cables and or sockets that may or maynot be used and if a socket is damaged, I could go on but HDMI cable n Sockets expensive Cat5e Cable n Sockets cheap!

Edit: Just as a side note if they were Sly boxes in the room but hidden, couldn't you use the 2nd RF with 9v n a remote eye discretely placed run straight from it?

Last edited:
Cat5 is the obvious choice but the cheap ones only send one from each source... I need to maybe split 1 box into 6 rooms but still leave the option of more boxes if they wanted ?

I think this might be the best (and cheapest solution)

Run a sat distribution so that rooms have the option of sky the master bedroom will have a cat5 extender run to it with IR.... and the others will have the feed from the satbox into the multiswitch so they can watch whatever the box is watching and have freeview at the same time.

That way I will be able to make sure the master bed has HD at least and the rest have freeview at least and the option to have a skybox in the room if they wish

What you reckon ?

Mickie

I wondered WTF had gone on, I thought I woz posting in the wrong thread! lol

Nothing wrong with the thread, just the title maybe a bit misleading as it's hdmi with IR distribution that Mickie is asking about I think? I would have thought AV distribution might be of some interest to you witchy! dunno why!

Anyway IMHO the most important thing about any Good AV distribution is the Cable runs!!

Yes I would run a pair of coaxal minimum to every location from a central point, I would also run minimum a pair of Cat5e or Cat6 as well. With such a cable infrastructure you should be able to keep every option open.

If you want to use the cheap singles that doesn't stop you distributing to many location, just feed the Sly HD into a Standard HDMI Distribution HDMI Distribution Amplifier then plug the gizmo's into the output of that before going to the cat5e.

Your issues will be getting the right boxes @ a reasonable price when on a budget that are all singing n dancing like a Crestron or AMX Maxtrix Switcher, but you will find a multitude of HDMI,VGA,SVideo,Video,12v over Cat5e gizmo's to give you options.

http://www.keene.co.uk/electronics/multi.php?mycode=C5QDAE
http://www.lindy.co.uk/cat-5e-6-infra-red-extender/38007.html

Last edited:
i did a job a few months ago using russound matrix equipment m8

each room has 2x cat5 cables run from a central source, and has HD wall plates in each room, as well as an IR control

you can switch between devices, have differeent zones, allsorts

i got pics on my phone that ill upload later tonight for you

Mickie m8 I don't see anything wrong with a thread or posts that others can learn from, my guess is neither do most other good folk on here. Is'nt it what the site is all about!!!!!

in my work everything is fed from sky hd boxes to the tv's (over 100 tv's) via the aerial cable

we have 1 that does the whole lot of tv's

and that works perfectly! suppose you could use that as kinda guideance and use the magic eye thing to change channels?

only a wee suggestion mate :)

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

i did a job a few months ago using russound matrix equipment m8

each room has 2x cat5 cables run from a central source, and has HD wall plates in each room, as well as an IR control

you can switch between devices, have differeent zones, allsorts

i got pics on my phone that ill upload later tonight for you

Is that HDMI or Component Digi? I've seen the VM1 which is component.

This is the Baby Money no Object!
Product: DM-MD8X8 [Crestron Electronics, Inc.]

its component m8, but still HD, im pretty sure it was a VM1 that i fitted, with 6 zones and 2 sub-zones, as well as radio equipment

ill sort some pics to upload now :)

a few pics of the job, main wall control plate in each room, sub zone wall plate, HD outlets, and the racking

a few pics of the job, main wall control plate in each room, sub zone wall plate, HD outlets, and the racking

Sweet now we're talking.

What's handling the audio?

This is where it turns into a minefield for mickie as it comes down to customer expectations, mickie woz talking basic HDMI distro n IR control therefore Audio n video straight to the LCD with additional IR, your install goes much further.

The issue though is still what cable should I run to where to ensure I can plug a gizmo in to achieve what I want! digi's install still only has 2 coaxal n 2 Cat5 to those 2 sockets same as I suggested, but additonal cabling would be required for wall controls n speakers I would say.

Mickie do you know exactly what you are trying to achieve?

Last edited:
this was still being planned before the foundations of the house were dug out lol

there wasnt going to be a multiswitch system, just a quad LNB feeding 2 HD boxes in the racking. just before the ceilings were due to go on, the plans changed to have actual satellite and freeview feeds in each room as well as the HD and audio matrix

theres over 300M of speaker cable that goes into that cupboard as well from different rooms, the living room is 5.1 and all other rooms are stereo ceiling mounted speakers, the en-suite is a sub-zone, meaning it can either have the audio from the bedroom, or have its own audio from another source or any available radio station, the kitchen / dining area is the same

ive got the manuals here somewhere, but the audio is similar to the VM1, but an audio version of it

Mickie do you know exactly what you are trying to achieve?

To be honest it is not overly important I guess you summed it up better before - Basic HDMI feed from a cupboard with IR.

But I also will probably need to install a multiswitch anyway for the freeview, etc.

I want to have more than one room feed from one box though ?

I would like to run cat5 but would I need a HDMI distribution switch or something.

Mickie

Back