Ebay question

Bronto

Global Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi guys, bit of ebay advice please :)

been looking at a qnap nas on ebay seller has one up for £245 + £5.95 P&P or best offer

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

I offered £205 and he counter offered with £235 + P&P so I re offered £225 now heres the thing he is willing to take £225 but off of ebay but still through paypal, question is would I still have any come back ?

You will have some cover through PayPal, but I would use a credit card too just to be sure. At least that way you can dispute the transaction if it doesn't turn up.

It's on a BIN M8 so it comes under Distance Selling Regulations right up until you ditch ebay!

He might just be trying to save the fees but you won't be covered unless you take the whole deal through ebay/Paypal.

I'd pay the tenner :)

BTW, you're not covered by Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act if you use an intermediary such as Paypal or Google Checkout.

In other words the credit card issuer is not liable.

Sounds like you got a good deal with backup too :)

Last edited:
Weird, it didn't show my post from earlier (on my phone).

Anyway, what i said was that it wasn't worth it as I have the TS-412 and I paid £250 Del. (non ebay)

Just make sure you don't put Green drives in it, it doesn't like them (check the compat. list first)

Thanks Exos

Great that you have one, now I know someone I can drive mad with all the noob questions lol :)

Can't help with the prices but what does this do that a cheapo £50 desktop hidden away can't do ?
I have an old pc with xp on and I have a 1tb drive, 600gb drive and a 500gb drive on it.
I use the remote control (in windows) program to modify things on it.
It gives access to the 1tb and 600gb drives and a printer for the family to share.
It has a dnla server running but we don't use it.
I'm just wondering what i'm missing out on.

Feature-rich and high-performance with a profile and footprint the missus won't give you regular grief over.

It should seriously out-perform the PC when pushed.

Has RAID for improved data protection (from drive failures).

On the other hand if your PC does all you need, hang onto your cash :)

Alot more than a stock desktop PC.

TFTP Server
FTP Server
SQL Server
VPN
LDAP
Backup Server
Radius Sever
QPKG Server (allows custom packages like Squid, SAB, Sickbeard, Moodle, etc etc.)
iTunes Server
Twonky Server
Web Server

Also does iSCSI, WebDav, cloud based backup, RTRR, RSYNC, UPS Support, Printer Support....etc

This is just a small portion of the functionality over a desktop pc

Alot more than a stock desktop PC.

TFTP Server
FTP Server
SQL Server
VPN
LDAP
Backup Server
Radius Sever
QPKG Server (allows custom packages like Squid, SAB, Sickbeard, Moodle, etc etc.)
iTunes Server
Twonky Server
Web Server

Also does iSCSI, WebDav, cloud based backup, RTRR, RSYNC, UPS Support, Printer Support....etc

This is just a small portion of the functionality over a desktop pc

A desktop PC can do all this and 10x more. However what a NAS offers is potentially lower power consumption, smaller case, quieter, ease of management, easy setup, no O/S to maintain.

A desktop PC can do all this and 10x more. However what a NAS offers is potentially lower power consumption, smaller case, quieter, ease of management, easy setup, no O/S to maintain.

With additional packages maybe and you would be hard pushed to find anything with ease to do all that on a single windows 7 box, in fact try running all that on a single desktop and it would probably fall on its ass, plus those are only a few of the capabilities i listed.

And what desktop PC's do you know that does iSCSI? none, because it uses a connector.

Methinks you been a schmokin summat mr oneman.

It's kind of like saying, a desktop can store data like a SAN. :Moon:

Last edited:
With additional packages maybe and you would be hard pushed to find anything with ease to do all that on a single windows 7 box, in fact try running all that on a single desktop and it would probably fall on its ass, plus those are only a few of the capabilities i listed.

And what desktop PC's do you know that does iSCSI? none, because it uses a connector.

Methinks you been a schmokin summat mr oneman.

It's kind of like saying, a desktop can store data like a SAN. :Moon:

Firstly, who said you had to be running windows ? But even if it was windows I would go with W2K8, coupled with a HP microserver that would no problems running that above.

As I said, a NAS does offer ease of management because you are restricted in what they can do, the flip side to the limited functionality is that it is ready integrated for you by somebody else.

As for iSCSI, the power of a PC is that you plug in a dedicated card with iSCSI target or initiator off loading if you want. Can't do that that with a simple NAS box. And are you liking a QNAP NAS box to a SAN ?

And a typical windows 7 PC would not

Firstly, who said you had to be running windows ? But even if it was windows I would go with W2K8, coupled with a HP microserver that would no problems running that above.

As I said, a NAS does offer ease of management because you are restricted in what they can do, the flip side to the limited functionality is that it is ready integrated for you by somebody else.

As for iSCSI, the power of a PC is that you plug in a dedicated card with iSCSI target or initiator off loading if you want. Can't do that that with a simple NAS box. And are you liking a QNAP NAS box to a SAN ?

I think we may be talking at cross purposes here, I said a stock desktop PC, starting to put iSCSI cards in, different O/S's other software etc etc all adds in additionally unnecessary cost, complications, configuration etc etc.

Desktop PC's are not designed or intended to be used as a server for a multitude of reasons, period. It's a ridiculous outdated concept.

I was being rhetorical with my comment over the Desktop>SAN, both can store data but they are completely different beasts, with my point being one is not a replacement for the other.

And a typical windows 7 PC would not

This was kind of my point :)

You talk about desktop PC O/S not being suitable for servers which I would still say is not true, both W2K8 R2 and Windows 7 are built from the same kernel. MS have added some artificial restrictions to restrict connections.

You can always use freeNAS instead of windows

You talk about desktop PC O/S not being suitable for servers which I would still say is not true, both W2K8 R2 and Windows 7 are built from the same kernel. MS have added some artificial restrictions to restrict connections.

You can always use freeNAS instead of windows

Long as you don't push it - it's the hardware that's the issue...

Long as you don't push it - it's the hardware that's the issue...

I cheap desktop would easily keep pace with domestic/SMB NAS systems from synology or qnap.

If you need anything more powerful then be prepared to spend the extra money on a proper server, NAS or SAN system.

Looks good Bronto, even have me thinking now to switch to this from my TS-412 ! but alas almost £300 more...... O.O

Last edited:
Back