Grrrrr eBay and tyre kickers

Spikeman

Inactive User
Reaction score
Normally at this time of the year I have a clear out of stuff I've played with little and chuck them up on eBay, usually just before Christmas I clear out some games etc with some success and cash in the bank.

This year has been extra special to the point where I will NEVER sell on eBay again and will think twice about buying on there.

It started with an Xbox 360 and four games pack I sold. Winning bidder at never paid and never got in contact. Apparently missed the bold text in the advert "NO HARD DISC" after I contacted them a week later.

The second occurrence was a guy who won a set of Bowers & Wilkins speakers and sub who was in a bidding war with another guy. The second bidder then withdrawing a bid without my knowledge stating he'd put the wrong bid in. (I thought I had to agree to bid retractions). Other guy saw this and accused me of dodgy bidding? He didn't pay £92!

Third a set of speaker stands that sold for £3.79+ £10 postage. Lower than I would have liked I admit but they would have only been taken to the charity shop so anything is a win. However beaus shipping policy meant I could not add e full postage costs on (length of box was too long). I politely emails buyer explaining situation and offered to cancel the whole thing as the postage was 3.80 more due to having to send to parcel force. His reply was, "some we loose and some we win pal". I explained I would not make a loss so his choice. He eventually paid the extra postage and applied neutral feedback - fair enough I guess.

The last one could be more pertinent to these forums....

I had a DB800 that I purchased to play with sometime ago and never got round to playing with it. So up it went to make space and it sold to a high bidder. The next day after winning no payment was received but a question from the buyer saying his satellite installer had told him to ask question BEFORE paying (despite it being a 7 day auction).

So with his questions I answered what he asked yet mentioned it was a little late to be asking. He came back with more questions about how etc and I politely explained that it was clear he didn't really know what he was buying etc, so it might be better if I offer a second chance to previous bidder and cancel his transaction, but in order to get my fees from eBay I would have to open a non-paying bidder alert. He didn't reply, so I did exactly that and the 2nd bidder too the offer, paid immediately and I dispatched goods.

Then the day before I'm allowed to close the non-paying bidder alert, he pays full amount with a snotty email threatening to seaze goods and report to authorities if item is not genuine db. So no matter what, despite it being a genuine box, he was going to find some way of claiming not so, and get a refund. However I politely emailed him explaining that I would have to refund his money, and did so straight way. eBay then cancelled the transaction.

So today I check my account and the numpty has applied negative feedback, stating arrogance, not to be trusted etc. As a seller you can't add negative feedback - there should be a avoid tyre kicker button. I did give him positive feedback though that says "AVOID AVOID AVOID WINS THEN ASKS QUESTIONS NON PAYING".

eBay will remove his and my comments I am sure BUT the reason for the rant is to warn some one you out there that they are among us!

Should anyone be selling on eBay and get a bid from dris687. I'd prepare yourself for some wasted time and frustration. He does have positive feedback so this might be isolated but the icing on the cake for me - I'd rather let the charity shops have the other stuff now.

Merry Christmas everyone on DW.

Last edited:
Interesting read mate but I fail to see why the last one is pertinent to these forums

Well it was more that if anyone else is selling items like a db on eBay. Only relevance really - Nothing else.

Safer selling stuff like that on here m8, it is a sad story and one we are hearing more and more of. I sold a huge amount of stuff on the Bay 10 years ago before moving here and only had one (false) claim of non-delivery. (It was advertised as faulty and the clown thought he could fix it but couldn't so thought he'd get his money back) other than that all went well. I guess things have moved on since then and the bad guys seek out the loop-holes.

I know the feeling its frustrating place to sell although I get a lot of my spares off ebay there are more honest people on there than bad. even when buy from hong kong I have brought over 150 items from there and only ever had 2 problems but got my cash back for both

That has always been my experience buying including from HK. The majority ofeople on there are good it is true it I think there isn't enough protection for genuine sellers or filtration of numpties.

Back