Software DDos attack

Napster

Global Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Need advise on DDos attack, my son's play games on line, anyway one site they go on a member of the administration had a melt down and he is hitting everyone ip address with a DDos attack every night for about 10 min, I did ring virgin my supplier and ask them to change my ip address and got told they can't do it, all they said was put superhub in modem mode and buy a router, that souls like a cop out to me.

Is there anyway to change my superhub ip address

Cheers

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

In the old days I'm sure they never used to use static IP's, so you just left your modem off for quite a while and then it would renew the lease when booting up again

I agree with @VectorZ, I always thought that all you needed to do. Most ISP's, if they support static IP's, would charge extra for having a static ip address.

Any chance you could leave router off over night?

Need advise on DDos attack, my son's play games on line, anyway one site they go on a member of the administration had a melt down and he is hitting everyone ip address with a DDos attack every night for about 10 min, I did ring virgin my supplier and ask them to change my ip address and got told they can't do it, all they said was put superhub in modem mode and buy a router, that souls like a cop out to me.

Is there anyway to change my superhub ip address

Cheers

A way to do it if your router allows it, look for a setting to clone or unclone your PC's mac address and choose the option opposite to what it is now and save.

Now turn router and modem off for 5 mins restart and your ISP should now issue a new IP to the new mac address.

It's a virgin media superhub m8 don't think I can change anything

How do I change the DNS settings on my wireless router
DNS stands for Domain Name System, and is the technology that assigns names to IP addresses. DNS technology means you can type in Virgin Media ? Cable Broadband, Digital TV, Mobile & More instead of having to remember a long winded IP address!

In the vast majority of cases there should be no need to change your DNS settings; however, there may be some occasions when changing these settings is necessary in order for your network to function the way you want it to.

If you do need to change your computer's DNS settings, you can use these:

Primary address: 194.168.4.100
Secondary address: 194.168.8.100
Please note that the Super Hub’s administration interface does not provide an option to change your DNS settings. To change these settings, you will need to configure the software that controls the network adapter in your computer or laptop. The most common ways to do this on Windows are shown below.

Windows 7

1. Click the Start button.
2. Click Control Panel.
3. Click either View network status and tasks or Network and Sharing Center.
4. Click Change adapter settings.
5. Right-click the icon for your network adapter (it may show as a wireless adapter), and then select Properties.
6. Click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) , and then click Properties.
7. The screen that appears next will allow you to specify which DNS server settings you would like to use. In addition, clicking the Advanced… button will give you access to further DNS options.

How do I change the DNS settings on my wireless router
DNS stands for Domain Name System, and is the technology that assigns names to IP addresses. DNS technology means you can type in Virgin Media ? Cable Broadband, Digital TV, Mobile & More instead of having to remember a long winded IP address!

In the vast majority of cases there should be no need to change your DNS settings; however, there may be some occasions when changing these settings is necessary in order for your network to function the way you want it to.

If you do need to change your computer's DNS settings, you can use these:

Primary address: 194.168.4.100
Secondary address: 194.168.8.100
Please note that the Super Hub’s administration interface does not provide an option to change your DNS settings. To change these settings, you will need to configure the software that controls the network adapter in your computer or laptop. The most common ways to do this on Windows are shown below.

Windows 7

1. Click the Start button.
2. Click Control Panel.
3. Click either View network status and tasks or Network and Sharing Center.
4. Click Change adapter settings.
5. Right-click the icon for your network adapter (it may show as a wireless adapter), and then select Properties.
6. Click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) , and then click Properties.
7. The screen that appears next will allow you to specify which DNS server settings you would like to use. In addition, clicking the Advanced… button will give you access to further DNS options.

Would this have an effect on the ip the superhub was using? In not sure it would stop a ddos attack would it? I'm no expert but it's the modem that's having the issues not the pc when talking of a ddos attack? Am I wrong?

ddos attack is more for forums , to reg a user all the time and kill there bandwidth . database has a melt down

???

From what I remember back it could take 24 hours for your ip to be released from the pool, best bet is to turn modem off overnight and try again as late as possible in the morning.

just spent 1 hour on the phone to virgin support, what a waste of time that one passed from one department to an other in the end they said having a new superhub would fix it, guess what cost me £20 postage, top blew then I went mad at them, in the end they said if it don't work they will refund my monthly cost (that I have to see)

you chaps running spuerhub in modem mode did that change you hubs ip address or does it stay the same.

4 teenage kids I don't think I would survive that long if I turn it off

Putting hub into modem mode and then changing your router MAC address or plugging PC in (after changing to DHCP assigned IP) and then power cycling the hub should change it.

You could flush the modem using cmd promt on ambit modems but i dont know if you can do this on super hub

sent from 2 tin cans and some string

I would just phone vermin each and every time you get a problem,
It's up to them to deliver the service you pay for...

Ask them to log every call up make and ask for money off your bill for any downtime..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...running spuerhub in modem mode did that change you hubs ip address or does it stay the same.
I've just googled and it can't easily be done.

From what I read, if you put router into modem mode and then connected (ideally) another wireless router then that would most likely work because different mac address would force another ip address as it would think you're a different subscriber.

Alternately, as mentioned earlier, modem mode and then connect a pc/laptop to it and the mac address on that would provide a different ip address. Downside to this is that only one pc/laptop working and unless you wait long enough before going back you could end up with ip address you had before.

Just been looking through all my boxes kicking about I'm sure I had a virgin white netgear router knocking about but I can't find it.

From what I remember back it could take 24 hours for your ip to be released from the pool, best bet is to turn modem off overnight and try again as late as possible in the morning.

This is what you should try, if you switch it on and off it will still have the same IP. But the longer the better as someone else will pool the IP possibly...

If you can and you are in modem mode, change your internal routers (ie dreytek, tp link, netgear, etc) MAC address at the same time. Might help.

Mick

I've changed my Virgin IP quite a few times.

I have my superhub in modem mode and use an Asus router that lets me set the router's MAC address.

For every different MAC address I set the Asus router to the Virgin IP changes and it's instant after a power cycle of the superhub & Asus router.

The MAC address I choose are just made up I don't bother cloning my any of my PC's etc...

Back