Feckin fuming

chadda

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
can anyone suggest something I could get an injustice inflicted on me by liniadirecta car insurance i have emailed the daily mirror and the daily mail but had no reply probably be front page news if I was a celebrity or an MP anyway here is the story

16 months ago in benidorm I parked unknowingly in a residential parking only road --- and my car was towed away ok my fault for not spotting the 12" sign at the bottom of the road so I get a taxi to the compound to get the car only be told I had to go to the main police station in the town center reson being the car was not insured the last letter on my registration plate is ( M ) liniadirecta had the last letter on the insurance policy as ( N ) and i have been with liniadirecta with that number plate for 4 years

After five hours of utter hell in a Spanish police station I got the car back. I paid the parking fine and give liniadirecta due they reimbursed me the €80 towing charge

Now 16 months later liniadirecta send me a document stating trafico have issued ME with a fine of €800

For having the wrong insurance documents

Couldn't believe what I was reading

my solicitor contacted liniadirecta only to be told send an email to tell us what happened

That was over a week ago I have emailed rang but just falls on deaf ears my solicitor advised me to pay the €800 fine or pay €90 to take them to court but could lose in court and costs me a lot more i have now been to the bank and paid liniadirecta administration error fine of €800

I am absolutely disgusted and feckin fuming

Hmmmm, I know FA about things like this abroad, but is't it the insured's responsibility to make sure all details on insurance are correct? that will not help your situation though. is there an ombudsman you could raise this with?

...but isn't it the insured's responsibility to make sure all details on insurance are correct?

It certainly is here, so I would assume it was the same most places. It's always up front on the policy and renewal notifications that you contact them immediately if you spot an error.

Sorry chadda, but I don't think you have anywhere to go on this.

Hmmmm, I know FA about things like this abroad, but is't it the insured's responsibility to make sure all details on insurance are correct? that will not help your situation though. is there an ombudsman you could raise this with?

Cheers never thought of an ombudsman will google it --- in another sinario so I have a bad accident and it's not my fault I could go to prison because my insurance was incorrect must be loads of sinarios like that
Spain is so feckin corrupted

It certainly is here, so I would assume it was the same most places. It's always up front on the policy and renewal notifications that you contact them immediately if you spot an error.

Sorry chadda, but I don't think you have anywhere to go on this.

Really well am gutted 😭 when you think about it yes your right that's there get out of jail card bastardows

It still seems very harsh if they knew all the circumstances.

Cheers never thought of an ombudsman will google it --- in another sinario so I have a bad accident and it's not my fault I could go to prison because my insurance was incorrect must be loads of sinarios like that
Spain is so feckin corrupted

I would definitely agree they are corrupt bar stewards, in the sinario you quote there is a distinct possibility your insurance would be invalid (your fault or not) and you would be royally foo ked, insurance companies will do anything to get out of paying out.

I think legal protection insurance is a very good thing to add to your policy.

Surely if the numberplate is wrong it would come up as a different make and model of car on the database. Unless Spain don’t use a database🤔
I would’ve thought they did the same as the UK as the numberplate is registered to the make and model of car to identify it.
Definitely something fishy going with the insurance company🙄

Yes Spain has a database that's how they new the car wasn't insured because the last letter on the plate was M and but on the database it had N

Yes Spain has a database that's how they new the car wasn't insured because the last letter on the plate was M and but on the database it had N

Then surely you have a case against the dealer selling the car or the spanish database (whoever got it wrong)

As avid says it wouldn't have happened here insurers have access to DVLA database.

Surely the insurance company would’ve known the details were incorrect as the numberplate would’ve not matched the cars make and model.
Imo The insurance company would’ve known your details were wrong so if you had made a claim your insurance would’ve been invalid and they wouldn’t of had to pay out scumbags.
There get out clauses is that you have to notify them if any of the details are incorrect.
The Insurance company knowing all along that the details are incorrect but you have to spot the mistake and notify them yourself. 🙄

Last edited:
Was the insurance taken out online?
If it was, as the letters are adjacent to each other on keyboard it would be the insured at fault as you were responsible for the typo and as @willin pointed out, your responsibility to check the insurance details are correct when the policy is set up.

Also you would have received a green card from insurance for driving abroad, that had the incorrect vehicle registration.

When you put your registration in the online form, the make and model of the car that matches that registration plate should come up. I don’t know about in Spain but it does in the UK

In the UK dealerships now get issued block registration numbers with only the last digits changed, so its quite possible the other registration was assigned to the same car model. The online insurance form would not differentiate. Don't know about Spain.

The laughable thing is before they insured the car i had to send them six pictures of it front back both sides and interior
As nara said Sorry chadda, but I don't think you have anywhere to go on this.

In the UK dealerships now get issued block registration numbers with only the last digits changed, so its quite possible the other registration was assigned to the same car model. The online insurance form would not differentiate. Don't know about Spain.

I agree it is possible, but they would have to be the same make, model, colour, CC, then the VIN should still differentiate,
@chadda could you clarify if the car was given the wrong letter by dealer or was it insured by you with the wrong letter?as in your mistake on the proposal form?

I am sorry but the insurance company will have known all along that the registration number was wrong imo. Chadda sent them pictures ffs. If I was you @chadda I would be looking for another insurance company.
I will say it again they knew all along because they knew they wouldn’t have to pay out if you made a claim as your details were wrong.

Last edited:
I agree it is possible, but they would have to be the same make, model, colour, CC, then the VIN should still differentiate,
@chadda could you clarify if the car was given the wrong letter by dealer or was it insured by you with the wrong letter?as in your mistake on the proposal form?
No the car plate was correct and I give the insurance liniadirecta the correct plate number but definitely an administration error as pointed out on the keyboard N & M are together and how many people check stuff on everything even lookin at the insurance documents plate last letters JBM insurance JBN easy mistake

had 15 years in Spain going back and forth the UK and are selling up now just sick of it now had enough of the bull shit spanish bureaucracy this was the last straw as they say had loads of crap over the years will be a little satisfaction when they ring me up to tell me my insurance is up soon my response will begin with the letter F

If they sent you a policy and the registration was correct, then that is all you as the policy holder can check and clearly they are at fault. I'd take it to court if you have proof the policy had the correct reg. Or send a copy of your policy to them pointing out their mistake.

No m8 the policy they sent was wrong there administration error but i never noticed it

This video sums up Spain exactly

Watch "Spanish red tape (created by Intereconomia Corporación S.A.)." on YouTube

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Back