Blinking Green Power Light - Motherboard Failed?

DodgyTech

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

Got a HP PC that's been working fine for over 4 years. The other day I had disconnected it to do some DIY in the room and then when I reconnected, the power light at the back of the PSU was just blining green and light inside the power button on the front was blinking too.

Opened it up and done some self diagnosis. When I disconnected the power cable to the motherboard, the blinking stopped. So I disconnected everything from the motherboard: all cables, memory sticks, jumper cables and drive cables. The problem was still there leading me to believe that the motherboard was faulty.

I know that there are some capacitors that seem a bit dodgy, but they don't look too bad. They have opened slightly, but they have been like that for some time and the PC never had any probs. still, I believe that the caps are causing the problem as I cannot see anything else wrong.

the CPU needs some thermal paste I think, but even with that removed, the blinking problem was still there.

Should i attempt fixing this myself using this guide? Capacitor Lab - Replacing Motherboard Capacitors Howto

Or should I just get a new motherboard? Mine is a MS-6577 for P4: HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Motherboard Specifications, MS-6577 (Gamila) - c00058048 - HP Business Support Center I need another motherboard for the same CPU and memory sticks. found the following: Asrock Skt-478 P4I65G S/V/L M-Atx 800Fsb: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories . is that the same? or can I get anything cheaper but reliable?

Attached are some pics of the motherboard and capacitors.

Thanks in advance guys.
DSC03522Medium.jpg

DSC03523Medium.jpg

DSC03524Medium.jpg

DSC03525Medium.jpg

DSC03526Medium.jpg

You're all gonna point and laugh at me now.....I got the mo'bo a helpful member sent to me today ;) and I plugged it all in, connected the PSU right at the end and guess what? . . . .

STILL GOT THE SAME PROBLEM!! LOL, guess it was my PSU after all. Bloody great!

Good news everyone.

Got the PSU today. Opened up the PC and stripped it down to its barebone chassis and did some good old dusting before I connected everything up.

First attempt the PC booted into windows login screen but I got an error, which I thought must be to do with incorrect BIOS time. So I shutdown and sorted that out.

Upon restart, windows was hanging at XP logo screen and in safe mode at AGP440.sys and SPTD.sys . So after lots of different attempts, changing sptd.sys filename etc in recovery console, I proceeded to then just "use last settings that worked" and it worked.

So PC is back on and working!!

Thanks all of you for your valuable input and thanks ManOfScience for being so helpful and sending me out a donor motherboard.

Life can now resume! :D

Back