Blinking Green Power Light - Motherboard Failed?

DodgyTech

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

Got a HP PC that's been working fine for over 4 years. The other day I had disconnected it to do some DIY in the room and then when I reconnected, the power light at the back of the PSU was just blining green and light inside the power button on the front was blinking too.

Opened it up and done some self diagnosis. When I disconnected the power cable to the motherboard, the blinking stopped. So I disconnected everything from the motherboard: all cables, memory sticks, jumper cables and drive cables. The problem was still there leading me to believe that the motherboard was faulty.

I know that there are some capacitors that seem a bit dodgy, but they don't look too bad. They have opened slightly, but they have been like that for some time and the PC never had any probs. still, I believe that the caps are causing the problem as I cannot see anything else wrong.

the CPU needs some thermal paste I think, but even with that removed, the blinking problem was still there.

Should i attempt fixing this myself using this guide? Capacitor Lab - Replacing Motherboard Capacitors Howto

Or should I just get a new motherboard? Mine is a MS-6577 for P4: HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Motherboard Specifications, MS-6577 (Gamila) - c00058048 - HP Business Support Center I need another motherboard for the same CPU and memory sticks. found the following: Asrock Skt-478 P4I65G S/V/L M-Atx 800Fsb: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories . is that the same? or can I get anything cheaper but reliable?

Attached are some pics of the motherboard and capacitors.

Thanks in advance guys.
DSC03522Medium.jpg

DSC03523Medium.jpg

DSC03524Medium.jpg

DSC03525Medium.jpg

DSC03526Medium.jpg

i dont think you could do any harm give it a go, see how you get on or you could look on ebay for same motherboard

Those will be "Low ESR" capacitors which can sometimes be difficult to find or expensive. The other problem you might encounter is that they can be smaller in diameter than more commonly available capacitors and usually tightly placed.

i dont think you could do any harm give it a go, see how you get on or you could look on ebay for same motherboard

I'll have to get a proper soldering iron in that case.

Those will be "Low ESR" capacitors which can sometimes be difficult to find or expensive. The other problem you might encounter is that they can be smaller in diameter than more commonly available capacitors and usually tightly placed.

Just looked on the side of the caps and it's these ones: Capacitor, Low-Z 6.3v 2200uf: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

I'm surprised your board worked for so long :).

You probably need to do all eight, if those to the left are the same values.

Last edited:
Were Farnell stocking the proper Low ESR types?

I wouldn't know if they were mate. This is one of the ones I had in my basket: PANASONIC|ECA0JHG222|CAPACITOR, RADIAL, 6.3V, 2200UF | Farnell United Kingdom

what model HP? we've got loads at work, d330's, 530s, 7100, 7800's might be able to salvage one

I got A740.UK . I will most likely just order a new one as I need to get the comp back up and running as soon as I can.

If you do come across one, do let me know and I'll return the new one unopened :D lol

It's all good mate. Appreciate the gesture :)

I found 2 on flebay which are decently priced:

[ame=http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ASUS-P4S800-MX-SE-SKT-478-SIS-661FX-800-RETAIL-/280614422542?pt=UK_Motherboards_CPUs&hash=item4155ec480e#ht_3118wt_1139]ASUS P4S800-MX SE SKT 478 SIS 661FX 800 RETAIL on eBay (end time 08-Feb-11 23:27:12 GMT)[/ame]

[ame=http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-AsRock-P4i945GC-478-Socket-Motherboard-/170591548073?pt=UK_Motherboards_CPUs&hash=item27b80c72a9#ht_703wt_1139]NEW AsRock P4i945GC (478 Socket) Motherboard on eBay (end time 21-Jan-11 19:31:57 GMT)[/ame]

the first one is the one I'm likely to get because I can't afford to wait.

Only thing missing is the 1394 firewire connector at the back, but I don't use it so don't care lol

Damnit, found another good one lol. Can't make up my mind now :p

[ame=http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MSI-MS-6787-V2-SOCKET-478-MOTHERBOARD-VGA-SOUND-LAN-AGP-/290523612501?pt=UK_Motherboards_CPUs&hash=item43a48e8555#ht_500wt_1156]MSI MS-6787 V2 SOCKET 478 MOTHERBOARD VGA SOUND LAN AGP on eBay (end time 15-Feb-11 11:24:36 GMT)[/ame]

are u just after a P4 with mobo? i'm sure i can strip one out if you need one. we've got some p4 2.6's and 2.8's i think socket 478's

are u just after a P4 with mobo? i'm sure i can strip one out if you need one. we've got some p4 2.6's and 2.8's i think socket 478's
Yeah I'm after anything that is the same shape as my mobo and has socket 478, DDR2 and has the rear connectors in the same order as mine (not with the usb next to keyboad/mouse connectors but rather in a 2x2 formation by the audio connectors).

I just made an offer on ebay to the asrock seller. Are you at work now?

Thanks

Back