Computer not power up

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at a PC for a relative and its dead. I checked the PSU with a meter using a jumper wire and it works fine bar, when I wiggle the main conntecotr to mobo while powered the fan goes on-off so I decided to change the PSU out a simple enough job. I picked a recon up for £15 and checked before installing the same way and all's well but after installing it's dead. I did take the front header jumpers out from the mobo as they were wrapped around a sata so I'm not 100% how they went back. I did take pictures before hand but a friggin cable got in the way so I cant tell how their meant to go back in.

Ive just been on the net and got the PDF for the mobo. Can someone take a look and tell me if I right or not. Some on the net sat white is not always the negative so I'm a bit confused. Someone might might spot a problem. also, the green white to is the power for the front.20210121_150413.jpg20210121_150728.jpg

Solution
I'm not sure if I have the know how to do much more. Swapping out parts PSU ram bit n bobs and metering the odd thing or two is about my level, anything after that it's out my league. I've found an identical 2nd hand motherboard same revision the lot for £20 so I might opt for that for them now that I know the PSU is fine.

If anyone else has any idea's please post as it will be in the machine for around a week.
Big thanks to all who posted
A £20 replacement is a no brainer silverdale. Parts and time are worth a lot more than that. Get your relative's pc up and running and play with the faulty board at your leisure.
Forgot to say, I put a jumper wire in the new psu and the dvd drive open and closes so new psu fine

2 more took flash off, I've took ram out then in, 1 stick 2 stick different sockets. Could it possibly have anything to do with the switch jumper going from front header jumpers on mobo to the on off at the front ?

Attachments

• 20210121_165203.jpg
    20210121_165203.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 11
  • 20210121_165156.jpg
    20210121_165156.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 18
to test the i would just put a flat screwdriver on the 2 pins on the motherboard as its only a momentery switch
if it boots its the switch on the case

Try using 1 stick of Ram and see if it boots if not use the other stick of Ram (slot1)

Could be a duff one ?

Thanks, I tried that earlier all combinations. I'm beginning to think the motherboard's fried as I'm not even getting warning beeps

For future reference look at the side of the header connectors without the writing and you will see a small arrow. This indicates the + cable.
A bit basic but did you remember to connect the cpu power?

might sound a bit mad on the M/b the small 4 pin headers or some have 6pin is it a XT or ATX M/b

Swap it over with the other 4pin on the PSU

But sounds like the M/b is fooked quite hard to burn out the CPU if not overclocked ect

Last edited:
For future reference look at the side of the header connectors without the writing and you will see a small arrow. This indicates the + cable.
A bit basic but did you remember to connect the cpu power?
Do you mean the 4 pin black yellow plug if so yeah.
Glad to see your back m8, hope your OK and thanks for taking the time to reply

might sound a bit mad on the M/b the small 4 pin headers or some have 6pin is it a XT or ATX M/b

Swap it over with the other 4pin on the PSU

But sounds like the M/b is fooked quite hard to burn out the CPU if not overclocked ect
Thank, not sure were and what you mean heres a picture I took before I started if you highlight were I'll know what you mean

Attachments

• 20210116_102628.jpg
    20210116_102628.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 13
@silverdale, just for laughs, unplug the reset button. Maybe a faulty reset switch is keeping it in reset.

Strange that wiggling the main power connector makes the fan spin though.

Back