Hardware WiFi adapter goes offline at night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redgun71

DW Regular ++
Reaction score
Since I replaced my HD with a SSD 2 weeks ago on my HP Win 10 laptop, my (Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11 bgn) Wi-Fi Adapter goes offline/no connectivity almost every night, before that it was once in a blue moon which I assume was to do with my Virgin DHCP lease expired and taking it's time to renew (usually a couple of hours).
During the day, I turn on my laptop and the WiFi adapter is there but between 10pm to midnight and afterwards the WiFi connectivity goes offline/WiFi adapter goes missing.
My WiFi adapter does not show up in CMD (ipconfig) but does show up in Settings/Network Status/view hardware and connection properties as Not present and IPv4/IPv6 disconnected.
Any suggestions what the problem can be/how I can fix this?

Have a look in the event viewer mate at the time it's going off and see what's going on. Hopefully it'll give you an idea of what's happening. Let us know.

Have a look in the event viewer mate at the time it's going off and see what's going on. Hopefully it'll give you an idea of what's happening. Let us know.
The connectivity went off again last night and has not come back on, there is a lot of information in the event log but I will put up the most relevant logs, hopefully it makes sense.

Information 08/02/2021 12:00:52 Kernel-Power 172 (203) - Connectivity state in standby: Disconnected, Reason: NIC compliance

Warning 08/02/2021 12:00:53 Kernel-PnP 219 (212) - The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device SWD\DRIVERENUM\{cfabacad-7939-467c-96a7-93781d90d2d8}#WirelessButtonDriver_usersvc&4&169ee9e2&2.

Information 08/02/2021 12:00:58 Dhcp-Client 50036 Service State Event - DHCPv4 client service is started

Information 08/02/2021 12:00:58 Dhcp-Client 50103 Service State Event - DHCPv4 client registered for shutdown notification

Information 08/02/2021 12:00:58 DHCPv6-Client 51046 Service State Event - DHCPv6 client service is started

Information 08/02/2021 12:01:00 WLAN-AutoConfig 4000 None - WLAN AutoConfig service has successfully started.

Warning 08/02/2021 12:01:03 Time-Service 134 None - NtpClient was unable to set a manual peer to use as a time source because of DNS resolution error on 'time.windows.com,0x9'. NtpClient will try again in 15 minutes and double the reattempt interval thereafter. The error was: No such host is known. (0x80072AF9)

Information 08/02/2021 12:01:29 Service Control Manager 7026 None - The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) did not load:
dam

Information 08/02/2021 12:04:24 Dhcp-Client 50104 Service State Event - DHCPv4 client received shutdown notification

Information 08/02/2021 12:04:24 Dhcp-Client 50105 Service State Event - DHCPv4 client ProcessDHCPRequestForever received TERMINATE_EVENT

Information 08/02/2021 12:04:24 DHCPv6-Client 51047 Service State Event - DHCPv6 client service is stopped. ShutDown Flag value is 1

Information 08/02/2021 12:04:24 DHCPv6-Client 51057 Service State Event - DHCPv6 client service stop is almost done.DHCP Context Ref count is 1

Information 08/02/2021 12:04:24 Dhcp-Client 50106 Service State Event - DHCPv4 is waiting on DHCPv6 service to stop

Information 08/02/2021 12:04:24 Dhcp-Client 50037 Service State Event - DHCPv4 client service is stopped. ShutDown Flag value is 1

The WiFi works for everything else - Amazon dot, Apple Air, Mobile phone, Sky TV on Demand wireless boxes, etc...

Check to see if you're motherboard drivers are up to date. I'd also check your BIOS to see if that needs updating. Make sure you keep your device plugged in when running an update for your BIOS.

Seen many web reports of problem with this driver and win10. Most of the recommended fixes you have tried, but try this suggestion as well...

Open Device Manager, locate WiFi adapter, double click to open properties.
Click Advanced tab.
Select 802.11n channel width for 2.4Ghz and set it to 20Mhz Only.
OK to save changes.

have you tried a driver roll back ?
No as it is only a recent problem and don't know if it will work with the latest Win 10 updates.

I'd try a different wireless module
Not sure how to do that

Check to see if you're motherboard drivers are up to date. I'd also check your BIOS to see if that needs updating. Make sure you keep your device plugged in when running an update for your BIOS.
As far as I'm aware it's up to date, I have auto updates.

Seen many web reports of problem with this driver and win10. Most of the recommended fixes you have tried, but try this suggestion as well...

Open Device Manager, locate WiFi adapter, double click to open properties.
Click Advanced tab.
Select 802.11n channel width for 2.4Ghz and set it to 20Mhz Only.
OK to save changes.
I did change it to 20Mhz, restarted the laptop and no change.

I did notice in device manager the wireless on/off button had been ticked for power management - so unticked it.
Also it said the WiFi adapter was unconnected - code 45, so I have "refitted" the wireless card and is now currently working.
I can't see that was the problem in the first place as mentioned before the WiFi connectivity working during the day but not late at night.

You will probably have auto updates for Windows 10 mate but I'm talking about the firmware for your devices. You'll probably need to go to the manufacturers website for them. I'd leave it for now though unless your wi-fi drops off again.
Fingers crossed for you 🤞

I had HP Assistant install, then took it off around 4 years ago as it was conflicting we Windows 10 and was regarded as bloatware.
I've have checked the HP site and every driver/firmware update recommended for my laptop is older than what I currently have.

No loss of connectivity for 5 nights straight, so I'm sticking to what isn't broke I won't fixed.
As well as refitting the WiFi card there has been another Windows update last Friday.
Coincidence - I really don't know, the problem started with Windows updates going back to April/May of last year, then a Windows update within 2 days of my SSD install late January and other one as mentioned above.
Once again thanks for the help and suggestions.

Change windows update settings from automatic to advise before downloading and installing. Avoid updating anything related to WiFi drivers.

I don't think there was a WiFi update, more like a conflicting issue.
Previous Windows 10 updates have conflicted with the printer and audio in the past.

check the option on the device settings of your adapter and thick the option "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back