Bedroom tax

Also, if Indian graduates only need to get £20k, that would make them eligible for benefits. Company profits, Cameron gets slap on the back, taxpayer foots the bill.

Revolution.

While I have no figures to support this...

...the number of UK students moving abroad to study a degree is certainly up - it's a cost issue. That leaves room for foreign students. I'm not convinced it costs us anything directly, it's what we lose indirectly.

iv liked an added rep to most of these posts as you guys are getting to the points in layman's terms without insulting pple, so well done,, especially you guys that have admitted and gave you personal experience with receiving some sort of benefits that help you get by :Clap::Clap::thumbsup:

Fook me, a comment I can agree with! I could get cryptic here but I won't, if politicians had any idea at all they would join up the benefit system so that people got what they needed. As it is, you can get more child benefit for every child (just an example) - cap the number of children benefit is paid for - solved that one. Limit the overall benefit so people who deserve it get a decent standard of living and no more. Then tax business for non-local recruitment making it more expensive to employ cheaper labour from, erm, certain EU areas. Give local business incentives for taking able-bodied unemployed on training/apprenticeship/whatever so they have a chance of getting a job and justify their benefit.

Finally, tax business not on where they are based but on their UK income - bollocks to this 'we are based in Luxembourg' crap...
I've enjoyed your posts for some time, despite not having a clue what some of them mean !
This one I can cope with and fully agree, only problem is can't see how it could ever happen, at least by peaceful means.
There are a few Lammy dimwits, but most career politicians can't be as thick as they appear. Between them, they have
stitched up the "democratic" process, and seem to be interchangeable within the major parties. The idea that manifesto
promises (or pledges, seems to be a difference) can be selectively, or totally ignored is now expected, "spin" has gone to
barefaced lying, and while the parties pretend to be different, nothing really changes.
Not too long ago, we had a referendum about changing the voting system. The alternative vote wasn't perfect, but it was
a step in the right direction to at least dilute the stranglehold. The electorate couldn't be bothered to turn up !
So, not much hope via the ballot box. A "British Spring" ? Well, Egypt seems back where it started, so maybe not !
Sometimes I understand why the americans want to keep the right to bear arms.

@ Him Her and donkeynutz.

Thank you kind sirs !

Better quit this one, while I'm ahead.

Floor area of room

Number of persons

110 sq. ft. or more

90 sq. ft. or more but less than 110 sq.ft.

70 sq. ft. or more but less than 90 sq. ft.

50 sq. ft. or more but less than 70 sq. ft.

½

So if a room is under 70 sq feet its not a bedroom its a box room so do you stil have to pay..??? lol i heard this on fb but wanted to check it first.

I've been following this thread and although I'm not working at the moment, I cannot claim any support due to my redundancy payment, does the area just mean the square footage of the floor area?
The reason I ask is we have a small bedroom, that just say fits a single bed in but you cannot get much else, this is due to part of the room having an area that has a couple of drawers in it but it is under drawn because it has the stairs leading to downstairs behind it. (Area in Blue)
I will upload a pdf so everyone can see what I mean. Would I be able to claim this as under 70sq foot due to the irregular shape of room??
View attachment SMALL ROOM LAYOUT.pdf

I might have to claim soon and this will mean we have a 3 bedroomed house or a 2 bedroomed one ;)

Regards

Dave H

Worried about the bedroom tax? Convert that spare room into a Mosque, or other place of worship. That'll keep the courts busy for a while.

I've been following this thread and although I'm not working at the moment, I cannot claim any support due to my redundancy payment, does the area just mean the square footage of the floor area?
The reason I ask is we have a small bedroom, that just say fits a single bed in but you cannot get much else, this is due to part of the room having an area that has a couple of drawers in it but it is under drawn because it has the stairs leading to downstairs behind it. (Area in Blue)
I will upload a pdf so everyone can see what I mean. Would I be able to claim this as under 70sq foot due to the irregular shape of room??
View attachment 72465

I might have to claim soon and this will mean we have a 3 bedroomed house or a 2 bedroomed one ;)

Regards

Dave H

Afraid it is still classed as a bedroom as all councils class it as one ... why have no idea but that is what you will be told

Okay Steve I see what you are saying but as I said it does not matter to me yet and I hope to find a job before my money runs below where I can claim.
I found this:-
Table I

Number of rooms Number of persons
1 2
2 3
3 5
4 7½
5 or more 2 for each room
Table II

Floor area of room Number of persons
110 sq. ft. or more 2
90 sq. ft. or more but less than 110 sq.ft. 1½
70 sq. ft. or more but less than 90 sq. ft. 1
50 sq. ft. or more but less than 70 sq. ft. ½
(4)The Secretary of State may by regulations prescribe the manner in which the floor area of a room is to be ascertained for the purposes of this section; and the regulations may provide for the exclusion from computation, or the bringing into computation at a reduced figure, of floor space in a part of the room which is of less than a specified height not exceeding eight feet.
(5)Regulations under subsection (4) shall be made by statutory instrument which shall be subject to annulment in pursuance of a resolution of either House of Parliament.
(6)A certificate of the local housing authority stating the number and floor areas of the rooms in a dwelling, and that the floor areas have been ascertained in the prescribed manner, is prima facie evidence for the purposes of legal proceedings of the facts stated in it.

The floor area of the room is definatly smaller than 70sq ft.

Total area of room = 78.26sq ft the part of the room which reduces the floor area due to the room being over the stairs is 12.375sq ft, therefore floor area sq foot = 65.885sq ft

I was just asking what people thought as it might affect a couple of mates who are going to be asked to pay the "tax"

Regards

Dave H

Okay Steve I see what you are saying but as I said it does not matter to me yet and I hope to find a job before my money runs below where I can claim.
I found this:-
Table I

Number of rooms Number of persons
1 2
2 3
3 5
4 7½
5 or more 2 for each room
Table II

Floor area of room Number of persons
110 sq. ft. or more 2
90 sq. ft. or more but less than 110 sq.ft. 1½
70 sq. ft. or more but less than 90 sq. ft. 1
50 sq. ft. or more but less than 70 sq. ft. ½
(4)The Secretary of State may by regulations prescribe the manner in which the floor area of a room is to be ascertained for the purposes of this section; and the regulations may provide for the exclusion from computation, or the bringing into computation at a reduced figure, of floor space in a part of the room which is of less than a specified height not exceeding eight feet.
(5)Regulations under subsection (4) shall be made by statutory instrument which shall be subject to annulment in pursuance of a resolution of either House of Parliament.
(6)A certificate of the local housing authority stating the number and floor areas of the rooms in a dwelling, and that the floor areas have been ascertained in the prescribed manner, is prima facie evidence for the purposes of legal proceedings of the facts stated in it.

The floor area of the room is definatly smaller than 70sq ft.

Total area of room = 78.26sq ft the part of the room which reduces the floor area due to the room being over the stairs is 12.375sq ft, therefore floor area sq foot = 65.885sq ft

I was just asking what people thought as it might affect a couple of mates who are going to be asked to pay the "tax"

Regards

Dave H

only stating what our council told us (our box room is 8' x 6')

Hello All, I came across this thread whilst searching for something on Bedroom Tax and whilst I haven't read the whole thing (forgive me if that's a bit rude of me!) I have read the last few pages, and I felt a need to join and post!

You can't use the Housing Act 2004 Overcrowding rules ot get around the Underoccupancy Penalty (Bedroom Tax). The reason, in a very simple sense, is that if you claim overcrowding, it works on different rules. You may say that your bedroom is too small to be a bedroom, however on overcrowding they will also count your living room as viable sleep space, so therefore a room gets added back on!

Also, for the purpose of Bedroom Tax, the numbe of bedrooms is determined by THE NUMBER STATED ON YOUR TENANCY AGREEMENT. You can't discount one by saying it is something else.

If you have a disabled child in the house or need an extra room for a legitimate purpose (e.g. night carer, medical equipment) then get in touch with your local Council Housing Benefit Department and ask for a DHP application (Discretionary Housing Payment) and do it SOON!!! This is a finite pot of money that you can access to pay the difference if you are in hardship or have special circumstances. It is issued at the DISCRETION OF YOUR LOCAL COUNCIL, so rules may vary on who can have it according to where you live.

Hope that helps :)

sorry, also forgot to say... this only applies to RSL (Registered Social Landlords) and Council Housing. It doesn't apply to privated rented, which runs on a separate scheme called LHA (Local Housing Allowance) which is based on rent costs not number of bedrooms. Where I live, there is a shortage of 1 bed social housing properties, so people are moving from a 2 bed flat at £70 per week into private 2 bed terraced at £75 per week. They can rent in the private sector at up to £75 per week for a single person so they don't have to contribute. Yes, that's a rent INCREASE, lol.

Totally defeats the point of downsizing. So much for simplifying the system!

If you have a disabled child in the house or need an extra room for a legitimate purpose (e.g. night carer, medical equipment) then get in touch with your local Council Housing Benefit Department and ask for a DHP application (Discretionary Housing Payment) and do it SOON!!! This is a finite pot of money that you can access to pay the difference if you are in hardship or have special circumstances. It is issued at the DISCRETION OF YOUR LOCAL COUNCIL, so rules may vary on who can have it according to where you live.

Hope that helps :)

BULL, we get the room automatically. no need to claim or beg for anything.
I have a disabled child and a 19 year old university student we have a 3 room limit and it will remain 3 when the eldest finishes university (though our house is only 2, we have divided the master room)
LOL I'm looking at the letter from the council now!
However if the disabled person is an adult, you will need to apply, or just give up feeding your charge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can assure you, a room for a disabled child is not automatic.

I'm not entirely sure what point you are making Firemouth...If you are over 16 you are entitled to your own room anyway. So it sounds like bedroom tax aside, no one is required to share in your house anyway! Once a student finishes uni they are no longer classed as dependents though so you will be will bubject to non dependent deductions at that point.

I can assure you, a room for a disabled child is not automatic.

I'm not entirely sure what point you are making Firemouth...If you are over 16 you are entitled to your own room anyway. So it sounds like bedroom tax aside, no one is required to share in your house anyway! Once a student finishes uni they are no longer classed as dependents though so you will be will bubject to non dependent deductions at that point.

you can "assure" all you like you are wrong.
any household with a disabled child is exempt from the bedroom tax, even the minister in charge and the PM have said so in parliament.

here i quote David Cameron during PM's question time. 13th march 2013
Anyone with severely disabled children is exempt from the spare room subsidy
things do change when the child reaches 19, then we will no longer be exempt.

I'm against this unfair tax on the poorest in our society.
but pointless ill-informed scare mongering, is not helping.

I am off the opinion if you have a spare (unused) room in a council house you have two options.

1 - Move to a smaller house. Which can free up accommodation for younger families who "require" the additional rooms.
2 - Pay for that room, in this instance the paying for the room is a reduction in benefit.

Why should I as a tax payer subsidise someone else, when I have to pay for my house ‽

(TT)

I am off the opinion if you have a spare (unused) room in a council house you have two options.

1 - Move to a smaller house. Which can free up accommodation for younger families who "require" the additional rooms.
2 - Pay for that room, in this instance the paying for the room is a reduction in benefit.

Why should I as a tax payer subsidise someone else, when I have to pay for my house ‽

(TT)

And the powers that be let you do the fighting for them,turn ordinary Joe against ordinary Joe,

What happens if you have lived there for a long time,you are rooted in the community,but you are on low income and cannot afford to have a reduction in whatever benefit you receive whilst working in a low paid job?

Bear in mind I don't know exactly how the benefit/welfare system works in England :)

Back