Bedroom tax

What you have to remember council housing is an entitlement not a right.

Any landlord can give you notice and ask you to leave. In this case the government/local authority is the landlord and they are essentially requesting an increase in rent.

Moving to a smaller house will have an impact in rent, as there will be a reduction. Win/Win.

I would not buy a 5 bed house if I could not afford it, so why should others thinks its ok for them to have a house they technically can't afford. I would not have kids if we could not afford it. We would like more but our combined salaries do not allow this.

(TT)

Last edited:
I agree mh but I do think there are elements of this tax that arnt quiet right. Like with shared custody of children and kids away in the forces . But like you said home owners have to pay an amount that would go up the more rooms you have. Why should we pay for a spare room for someone just because they have lived there for a while?

The whole housing and benefits system has been allowing a lot of people to live quiet well for a while now when it was intended to keep people alive. Not pay for a living. There are of course exceptions but something has to be done and I think this tax is in part right although maybe is hitting too broad a range of circumstances.

And the government keeps winning,you are all so blind IMHO,

The fleece you all left right and center and still you will attack your own before turning on them,who have big houses,big state pensions,usually more then one,most of which has been got by keeping the masses down and creaming off the top for themselves,

I know for a fact when we received our council house over here,about 25 years ago,there was only the missus and I ,we weren't given a one bedroom flat,we got a three bedroom house,which is still full mind you,but you think its fair that having lived here that long I should be either made move or pay more?

You could have bought it. You have been renting at a reduced rate than if you were renting privately ? If the rooms are of no use then why hang on to them. Also weren't they giving people who did downsize x amount per room. That's a hell if a lot more than I could hope for if I couldn't pay the pricy mortgage on my run down 2 bed terrace.

If your rooms are full there is no issue for you is there ?

I'm not trying to argue I just think in part this has merit but does need adjusting for curtain circumstances.

And the government keeps winning,you are all so blind IMHO,

The fleece you all left right and center and still you will attack your own before turning on them,who have big houses,big state pensions,usually more then one,most of which has been got by keeping the masses down and creaming off the top for themselves,

I know for a fact when we received our council house over here,about 25 years ago,there was only the missus and I ,we weren't given a one bedroom flat,we got a three bedroom house,which is still full mind you,but you think its fair that having lived here that long I should be either made move or pay more?

really, should you be asking that to a taxpayer ?

Firemouth, you can quote Cameron all you like. This is actually part of my job to deal with this benefit, and I am not wrong. There is no automatic entitlement to ANY exemption, you must apply for DHP at your local council. There was no need for that agressive tone and I am offended that you think I am scaremongering - As I said, I joined to make sure people knew you had to apply and to make sure that people were not missing out on this additional money. If you don't think I am right, why not check yourself at your local council or here with Shelter:

Discretionary housing payments (DHP) - Shelter England

Any time you want to apologise is fine......

You could have bought it. You have been renting at a reduced rate than if you were renting privately ? If the rooms are of no use then why hang on to them. Also weren't they giving people who did downsize x amount per room. That's a hell if a lot more than I could hope for if I couldn't pay the pricy mortgage on my run down 2 bed terrace.

If your rooms are full there is no issue for you is there ?

I'm not trying to argue I just think in part this has merit but does need adjusting for curtain circumstances.

I chose not to buy as I wasnt prepared to saddle myself with mortgage payments,which I couldn't afford anyway, and maybe end up out on the street with nothing to show for it,and no roof over my children heads,
you chose a different path,and fair play to you,but it doesn't make you any better then me,

I didnt make the rules I just follow them,if they really need to change them thats fine but do it going forward so that people know whats what from the beginning,dont punish people who have had no input into the process but just benefit from it :)

I never said I was better than you. I am saying a spare room is a privilege to be paid for not a right. You have said your rooms are filled so you are ok. As I have said I do think that the tax will effect some that maybe it shouldn't but I bet there are more people with spare rooms who don't need them that are being effected than arnt.

I never said I was better than you. I am saying a spare room is a privilege to be paid for not a right. You have said your rooms are filled so you are ok. As I have said I do think that the tax will effect some that maybe it shouldn't but I bet there are more people with spare rooms who don't need them that are being effected than arnt.

No but it was implied that because you are buying/own your own home that people that don't/can't should not be entitled to the same basic privileges that they were only entitled to a few weeks ago,which to me looks like snobbery,

at least thats the way it comes across to me,but in reality this does not affect me at all because we dont have the same rules here,so I will bow out as I certainly dont want to fall out with anybody over it :)

A spare room is a privilege if it is wanted then it should be paid for. Im not trying to argue with you or be a snob but that is the way I see it. Before the wife and I started buying our house we were In a 1 bed council flat. That is all we needed and we didn't complain or think we were entitled to anything more. We started buying our house as we believed renting was a waste of money and saw it as an investment. If you saw our house we could never be accused of been snobs. We are very slowly fixing it up but it's far from a maintained council property would be and costs much more. That is our choice and as such we have a spare room that has been paid for.

A spare room is a privilege if it is wanted then it should be paid for. Im not trying to argue with you or be a snob but that is the way I see it. Before the wife and I started buying our house we were In a 1 bed council flat. That is all we needed and we didn't complain or think we were entitled to anything more. We started buying our house as we believed renting was a waste of money and saw it as an investment. If you saw our house we could never be accused of been snobs. We are very slowly fixing it up but it's far from a maintained council property would be and costs much more. That is our choice and as such we have a spare room that has been paid for.

We will have to agree to disagree so mate :)

Last edited:
About which bit? Snobbery or spare rooms?

About which bit? Snobbery or spare rooms?

The whole lot mate,

I think we are too far apart in our views to continue without one of us inadvertently insulting the other,
and if I have already then I apologise :)

Fair enough.

Have a nice day

I've stayed out of this, so far, mainly because I'm only involved as a taxpayer. After (at least) one full cycle of opinion, from different circumstances and viewpoints, and looking as a taxpayer only :-

The bedroom tax is divisive, was introduced mainly for political reasons, and will save little, if any, money.

These issues will always be divisive. People are not "created equal", genetics aside, that's just ideology. If you take inheritance and privilige out of the picture, we have something, arguably, approaching equal opportunity. Within that framework, people are responsible for their own decisions, and consequent result. Over time you get a new generation of "haves" and "have nots", with equal voting rights, who are consequently political toys.
Attempts are made to "correct" the imbalance, on different issues, usually at taxpayer expense, which what I resent.

The "benefit scrounger" is another issue used as a smokescreen. Official figures say they comprise around 1% of claimants, but they are only the ones they know about. My guess would be more like 5%, depending on the degree, but even then division is the object, not economics.

The diversions distract attention from the much bigger real robbers at the other end of the spectrum. Again from a taxpayer viewpoint, if I had set up tax evasion plans (no, it's not really avoidance) for 50% tax, would I abandon them because it's now only 45% ?

So, over 20 years of interchangeable mainstream career politicians, all apparently helpless when it comes to dealing with wealth and privilege ?
The solution may be mass revolt, but we "peasants" have been taught to be too responsible, so it's not very likely now.

They keep us hot, but never quite boiling, just in case!

Short answer? You could change the rules from January 1st 2014 and run a long-term plan to reduce benefit payments without affecting current claimants. It would be easy to check existing claimants by testing annually.

Example:

1 - from January 1st 2014, child benefit for only up to second child - not retrospective so if you have three now, no change

Right now the problem is 'spin' - the powers that be are on a 'roll', they've figured out where the next 'votes' are coming from and you're fooked...

...and benefits are three shades of bugger all anyway truth be told.

BIHsHLnCcAAogGX.jpg

I agree with you completely friend, 100%.

The Tory **** who brought this in is living in an eight bedroom mansion just him and his wife, with a second home in London paid for.

They don't live in the same world as we do and so IMHO don't deserve to live!

The parasites they need to sort out are in the civil service and parliament, until they clean they're own house and for once in the history start to care for the people of this country we are all doomed.

Regards, Ian.

I'm pretty gutted by it all, i broke my heel 8 months ago and had to give up work (self employed) till i recover. i have a 2 bed flat so my kids stay over 3 nights a week..now i to pay £45 a month for rent and £20 for sewage from my minimum amount i receive to live from. Oh and i get £6 a week from DHP...woopdy doo!!

Government is breaking its own contracts in my view and so the 18th of September, 2014 can't come quick enough......

Last edited:
My inlaws have bought my wifes mothers house because at the age of 82 she was told she needed to pay £80 a month because she still lives alone in a 3 bedroom house she brought up a family of 11 in this house it had been adapted for her disabled husband (it had a lift installed not a stairlift) so the council have now lost for ever a house in a very low council house area

Tory voters take note this unjust tax does not help housing needs

Back