any1 got this satellite meter

First impression I have with mine is that I now need to get a pair of specs. The font size is so small, I am having difficulty reading much on the screen, especially in bright sunlight. It might be better if I play with it in the dark. LOL.

I must say I'm well disappointed with the display.My eyesight is perfect at that range but it is piss poor in daylight.Just having a fiddle with me lnbs and did mange to squeeze a few more % qual on a couple.Doesnt have 10deg east pre-loaded and although when scanning 9deg east it still lists my chans on 10deg,it doesn't find PLTV (new transponder???)so I have a bit of manual tuning to do

how is everyone setting theres up ? are you going to have say 1 or 2 channels stored from certain satellites and use them to see if you are in line with the arc properly ? like my due south satellite is thor, so say i had bbc world news stored i could use that to line it up with thor, then have a channel or 2 stored form hotbird 13east, then say channel 4 stored from sky uk 28.2 east, then do the same with the west side of the arc, then if i can watch them channels from my sat meter it should be good to go, i think thats how im going to have mine set up, thanks

it doesn't find PLTV (new transponder???)so I have a bit of manual tuning to do

pl-tv is broadcast on 10.995.v. 6890/11.305.v. 30000 using dvbs2/8psk and as such cant be seen by your meter. if you can try and store 4 txp,s for the weaker birds to aid in fine tuning/tweaking. regards mdt

for the people having problems with entering details for west, whatever your details are (mine is 3.4W for example) subtract that from 360, and thats how many degrees EAST you are ;)

so 3.4W = (360-3.4) = 356.6E ;)

for the people having problems with entering details for west, whatever your details are (mine is 3.4W for example) subtract that from 360, and thats how many degrees EAST you are ;)

so 3.4W = (360-3.4) = 356.6E ;)

Sorry Digi m8, but I get invalid data with 356 ! It doesn't accept inputs above 180. As the orientation on the screen is clockwise I tried 180-4 (176) and got a line of blanks for the output. I've tried every combination of site & sat latitudes without any success. As dick b says ! I think its back to dishpointer

kopernikus,
I"v just tried what you suggest re: subtrack your western location from 180 and it did work for my location of -0.4 so I set the meter on 179.6 and it compares with "dishpointer"exactly BUT only for western sats.I subtracted the sat degrees also from 180.(havent got anywhere with eastern sats yet)

it sounds like a fault with the software on the meter then

can you tell it youre in the southern hemisphere, as then everything is reversed, the N/S isnt important, as thats a manual adjustment anyway, i always leave my setting for that at 00.000 on my receivers, but swapping hemispheres will reverse the E/W numbers

it sounds like a fault with the software on the meter then

can you tell it youre in the southern hemisphere, as then everything is reversed, the N/S isnt important, as thats a manual adjustment anyway, i always leave my setting for that at 00.000 on my receivers, but swapping hemispheres will reverse the E/W numbers

it only seems to like positive input if your east of greenwich and north of the equator it works fine (for eastern sats).its beginning to make my brain? hurt trying to figure it,I was alright til it was pointed out as I wouldnt use that feature anyway,

it only seems to like positive input if your east of greenwich and north of the equator it works fine (for eastern sats).its beginning to make my brain? hurt trying to figure it,I was alright til it was pointed out as I wouldnt use that feature anyway,

Sorry m8 ~ I didn't want to spoil the party ~ you are right, east site and east satellites work great ~ Maybe a firmware fix will make it alright for us western guys. Still! it's not a bad piece of kit and it's something to talk about.:Clap:

Sorry m8 ~ I didn't want to spoil the party ~ you are right, east site and east satellites work great ~ Maybe a firmware fix will make it alright for us western guys. Still! it's not a bad piece of kit and it's something to talk about.:Clap:
yeah its already given a lot of fun just playing with it.I have tried to get a software update from the satlink web site but without success(all that downloaded was another instructions book).
if I set longitude to 00.00 the eastern sats are near enough eg:13East with the satlink shows as azimuth 164 degrees and 27.5 elevation.and dishpointer for my long of 0.4West gives azimuth 163.5 and 27.4 elevation.the western sats as you said are ok if you subtract your and the satellite long from 180.

yeah its already given a lot of fun just playing with it.I have tried to get a software update from the satlink web site but without success(all that downloaded was another instructions book).
if I set longitude to 00.00 the eastern sats are near enough eg:13East with the satlink shows as azimuth 164 degrees and 27.5 elevation.and dishpointer for my long of 0.4West gives azimuth 163.5 and 27.4 elevation.the western sats as you said are ok if you subtract your and the satellite long from 180.

yeah i tried getting a software update from the sastlink website, but once extracted its just a pdf file of a user manual lol, doesnt seem to say what firmware your on on the sat meter either does it,

At first glance and the specs datasheet this meter looks more like a toy than an actual installers tool and its not a meter i would buy to be ohnest and you will probably find its at that price for a reason.

All that said have some fun with it guys and good luck.

So has the meter been a worthwhile purchase for people ?
Would ye recommend it to potential buyers ?

So has the meter been a worthwhile purchase for people ?
Would ye recommend it to potential buyers ?
Its inability to accept west of Greenwich longitudes and west of south satellites means it is just a satellite receiver with a 9cm screen. The small menu screen means you need to go Specsavers for new reading glasses, however, the channel picture is excellent in quality. The Sat link website is not responding to email queries regarding its inability to cater for western locations and satellites and there does not appear to be any firmware updates available.
Overall opinion ~ Wait and see if there is any support and firmware updates before you buy !

yeah its fine for the hobbiest if you want to use it to just fine tune your dish without the hassel of carting a portable TV and STB outside.Its not what a pro would use(but then again its not £350 plus)

Its inability to accept west of Greenwich longitudes and west of south satellites means it is just a satellite receiver with a 9cm screen. The small menu screen means you need to go Specsavers for new reading glasses, however, the channel picture is excellent in quality. The Sat link website is not responding to email queries regarding its inability to cater for western locations and satellites and there does not appear to be any firmware updates available.
Overall opinion ~ Wait and see if there is any support and firmware updates before you buy !

I'm not really interested in dish elevation or skew calculations, dishfinder can calculate these for me.
I just want something that will
tune a dish without the hassle of carting a portable TV and STB outside
I could realign a dish in minutes ,very handy ,dishpointer would give me a rough idea and the meter could then fine tune .

yeah,I played around with a fixed dish I just screwed to a shed and it worked great as I had put a couple of scanned TPs in for the more common sats using another motorised dish as its easier than looking for a sat without channels pre scanned though you can do it that way if needed.

been looking at this thread to see how you get on with them as i need to move my old dish
which was twin lnb for 13 and 19 as line of sight to 13 now blocked by nieghbours mini extension
mind you they did complain about this 80cm bug eyed eyesore in the past so moving it would be good and my mini dish is other side of bungalow .
ive been thinking of moving these and also putting up a 1 mtr motorised set up as well conecting all by a diseqc switch
i had someone round to survey once and he said but you have sky set up ok and your and i take it the other dish is for your internet i said no could you move the dish and add extra lnb so i can get sky on that as well he looked totally confussed said he would phone me (never did) and did not ask for his £35 call out fee.
would something like this help me to set something up like this and also the motorised dish
done minor tweaking before using a bleeper and port tv and an old sky box
or am i better of putting the money towards the professionals to come in
do not mind having a go but hate the idea of buying and not being able to do anything with it
cheers

It will help you ok mate and I"m pleased with the one I"ve got,but as someone else said its basically a mini tv and set top box in one with signal bars to help fine tune,if you can connect it to a dish that is already pointing at the sats you want and scan a couple of channels in it will make it so much easier.if you cant do that you will have to put an active TP in and just watch the signal bars and then scan to see if you have what you want.(youll probably have to pay someone more than the meter costs to put up 2 dishes especially as one would be motorised)

Last edited:
Back