• Born in England and regard yourself as British

Votes: 52 51.5%
  • Born in Britain but don't regard yourself as British

Votes: 22 21.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
you will see from the last census from 2001 on page 6

question 7 is what is your country of birth and the options are there all the home countries

question 8 deals with ethnic group, if you are White you have a choice of British or Irish if you are black or asian there are other ethnic options

Good God Phil Lynott would have a ball with that form.

I don't really get national pride... or shame, for that matter. Being proud of the random, arbitrarily defined, geographical location you were born in seems to me quite peculiar, and more often than not, it strikes me as nothing more than a way for people, who have little else to be proud of, to bask in the reflected glory of others.

I'm afraid it all boils down to historical differences , bad blood & the actions of the English Army and the English attempts to control Scotland and its people along time ago.
The Scotts have never forgotton it and rightly so as its part of History that not taught in English Schools.
My eyes wre only opened to all of this when my brother married a Scotts Lass and as an Englishman i dont stand proud of the acts of my ancestors.

the english have done that sort of thing where ever they went, Im a english man that lives in england, I dont think myself british. I live in one county of four that makes up the united kingdom. Im not proud of being british nor English tbh, our past is shamefull, and what we are doing now is not much better, But at the end of the day Im english.

Because Some rasict old disable man Has the view his english, Not eveyone that calls them selfs english may share his same veiws.

I would never associate myself with the union jack flag as its seen as being "an english flag", thats the way it is seen if your from another country within the uk, i know its made up of the flags of the other countries, but i know that most of us always associate that flag with england, its not good.

The only time i would say that we are all at peace with one another and can except that we are all british and not bat an eyelid about it, is if we are at war with another country, we all know then its very very serious and we all drop the stupid attitude that i'm english, i'm scottish etc, in war we all back each other no questions asked, we put our lifes on the line for each and every person who live in the united kingdom, and then, at that horrible moment in time when we are at war, whether it is planes trying to bomb britain, or whether its our boys out in iraq, then they are all british, and they live and die by each other, and thats what its all about when it really comes down to it.

We can all sit here and argue all day, but you go out and join the army, and you will be happy if your men next to you are english, scottish, welsh, irish etc, in that situation we are glad to be a unit, and that unit would be british.

Apart from that, i dont like to be called british.

Last edited:
Hey...I'm a Scot, I just wished our Welsh colleagues "Happy St. David's Day", I'm bursting for an Ulster fry-up, and I'm writing this in English using a Laptop which was built in Cherrywood Dublin.

Look on it this way guys...there will always be some rivalry, be it between each country which make up the British Isles, or even between the cities contained within.

I'm a Scot, but on every application form I have ever written, I have always written British.

I'm afraid historical difference doesn't come into it for a lot of people.
Their opinion depends on the last person they spoke to.

Historical? lol, their history lessons come from movies such as a Frenchman playing an immortal Scot being taught by an egyptian being played by a Scottish tax exile.

How about, another Scotish hero being played by a Northern Irish fella who is now a US citizen?

Not enough for you?
How about that well known American actor, who grew up in Australia who eventually produced, directed, & starred in the part of Scotland's most famous son William Wallace?

Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.
Those who don't know their history have absolutely no bloody chance.

Let's face it, the closet most people get to a history book is to stop their kitchen table from wobbling.

I've got more to write, but I'm full of the booze & I've just stared at the screen for 10 minutes.

Oh...the booze was Australian...a watered down version of a Brit :)

I don't really like the word British, for me it has far too many negative associations when placed in a historical context, I associate Britishness with words such as slavery, imperialism and colonisation.

It's think it's perfectly natural that people don't want to think of themselves as being British, who would want to name themselves after the very people that brutalised their forefathers?

It's think it's perfectly natural that people don't want to think of themselves as being British, who would want to name themselves after the very people that brutalised their forefathers?

Thats true, munkey. Other nations Do remenber what we did, Even if most of the brits Dont. But the past is Not our fault.

Ive received hate From people Because Of our past, (rasicts imo) But hate breeds hate.And im white english man, So it goes Both ways mate.

We cant change the Past, But we can change the futre by not breading hate into our children, And that should be the same No matter where your From.

Can you add a 'my parents fucked here' to the poll please?

Tribalism, familial loyalty, nationality, ethnicity, sexual persuasion, will always be tied in to identity.

I as an existentialist (for my identity is nothing, which of course paradoxically is something dialectically speaking), find it all a crashing bore.

No, I can't be arsed doing any work this morning.

Thats true, munkey. Other nations Do remenber what we did, Even if most of the brits Dont. But the past is Not our fault.

Ive received hate From people Because Of our past, (rasicts imo) But hate breeds hate.And im white english man, So it goes Both ways mate.

We cant change the Past, But we can change the futre by not breading hate into our children, And that should be the same No matter where your From.

Fortunately I think we're in the majority, people who acknowledge history but live in the present without and prejudice regardless of the colour of our skin.

My ancestors fought the British and although there are some wounds that will never heal, we have moved on. It's the 'say your British' lot that I can't help but laugh at. The days of Great Britain, the commonwealth and the empire are over, people really should move on.

Born in England so iam English.

every 1 should be proud of there country and welcome all who live there.

Proud to be Scottish and part of Great Britain.
I served my country and am proud of the fact although i was a piss head .
Would serve my Queen and country in a minute again although i am getting old barsteward.

Born in Scotland, lived here all my life

I'm Scottish and dont consider myself british in no way shape or form

but i still wholeheartedly support our boys and girls in the armed forces no matter who they are or where they come from, they are giving me the right and priviliage to live a safe and secure life in Bonnie Scotland

" When God was building Scotland an Angel asked "Why, Lord, have you placed such great hills, lovely countryside and blessed the people of this nation?" God replied "Wait to you see the neighbours!"

:proud:

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

As has been said by others...

I was born in England so i class myself as English.

I am now trying to remember that this fat, twisted f****r is disabled so behave myself. He then goes on to moan that the Scottish Parliament has allowed uni students a grant to cover their fees and that the "English" have to bear the cost.

What the Scottish MPs did do was come down here and vote in favour for english uni students having to pay tuition fees, this had nothing to do with them but obviously Labour made a deal with them and students studying in england got screwed over.

Dunno bout the cost crap but he has a right to moan about Scottish parliament helping to screw over english students

Born in scotland, so i'm scottish but live in england

... when you reach the scottish border with britian do you show your passport???i think not.. this means scotland is in GB..
..???

I didn't know scotland had a border with britain? surely it is a border with England doesn't that one sentence make a very good point to the attitude of the english ??

I have lost count of how many times i have had to correct english ppl when they say that the english army shouldn't b in that war or won the world wars, it is and it was the british army, i have never heard any one form scotland say it was the scottish army ?

I didn't know scotland had a border with britain? surely it is a border with England doesn't that one sentence make a very good point to the attitude of the english ??

?

no not really, if you bothered to read the thread between me and bigyin you will see this as an example only.. This is not my
view and has never been ...

Never in my 47 years have i heard it called the English army mate , has anyone else?

I have lost count of how many times i have had to correct english ppl when they say that the english army shouldn't b in that war or won the world wars, it is and it was the british army, i have never heard any one form scotland say it was the scottish army ?

I have read the full thread and since u typed it how can u say that it is an example and not ur view, wot is it an example of ??

Never in my 47 years have i heard it called the English army mate , has anyone else?

the first post clearly states that the bloke had served "in the english army" that is why we are all commenting on it, so at least 3 ppl have heard that said , the a**ehole in the pub, chookey and myself so its seems it is being said somewhere in the world

Calm down dude , im just stating that i have never heard anyone say it, what`s the problem with that?
I have read the full thread and since u typed it how can u say that it is an example and not ur view, wot is it an example of ??

the first post clearly states that the bloke had served "in the english army" that is why we are all commenting on it, so at least 3 ppl have heard that said , the a**ehole in the pub, chookey and myself so its seems it is being said somewhere in the world

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back