• Born in England and regard yourself as British

Votes: 52 51.5%
  • Born in Britain but don't regard yourself as British

Votes: 22 21.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I'm a new member, who is kicking on in years, and would like to add my two 'pennorth for what it's worth. I think, if you are born in England, you are English first, then British. If you are born in Scotland, you are Scottish first and then British. This is the same for the other " Home Countries".
I have travelled and worked all over the so called British Isles and have found both great tollerance and great intollerance to the fact I am English. It's all down to the individuals I have met. But there is one thing that I have found 100% certain and that is NOBODY in the " British Isles " considers themselves British first. They are Welsh, Irish, Scottish or English first and foremost and only British when taking on the rest of the world, for whatever reason.
So I don't believe there is Anti British Racism, just a natural distrust or dislike of our different nationalities! Which is all down to the histories of our 4 nations.

What a great post another senior like myself with true morals. You are quite correct that we are all native to our origin of birth before we are british.
There are always those who have there own opinions and thats there choice.:Clap::Clap:

Never in my 47 years have i heard it called the English army mate , has anyone else?

Me neither, Dad was in the Forces and i went to a Military boarding school at the time of the Falklands war.
All the kids had parents in the armed forces, English ,Scottish ,Welsh and Asians.
All with parents fighting for God Queen and Country under one flag "the Union Jack!"
I dont remember seeing an English flag being yomped up tumbledown mountain, but a Union Jack attchached to a Radio operators backpack.
An Iconic image the world over as i remember in the Papers as a Teenager.
I still consider myself English first, but as far as supporting our Armed forces fighting today, then i'm proud to be behind the British Armed Forces!

Calm down dude , im just stating that i have never heard anyone say it, what`s the problem with that?

theres no problem with it at all all i said was that 3 ppl have heard it !!

I have not heard anyone say that u can't be called english or that it is a crime to be called english

I have read the full thread and since u typed it how can u say that it is an example and not ur view, wot is it an example of ??

Never in my 47 years have i heard it called the English army mate , has anyone else?

the first post clearly states that the bloke had served "in the english army" that is why we are all commenting on it, so at least 3 ppl have heard that said , the a**ehole in the pub, chookey and myself so its seems it is being said somewhere in the world

Grr.. I was commenting on thebigyin saying hes not british.. i used that example to say that if he didnt use his passport he must be in britain..

Your obv trying to stir shit, therefor i will refrain from replying to you...

Calm down LOL

served in the army myself for 7 1/2 years and never once in the the time i was in, till this day have i heard it called the english army.English, but whenever on a form that asks for nationality its Brit/Eng. Persoanlly i think all the the english who hate the scottish, welsh hating the english, scottish hating the english etc is probably alot to do with how you were brought up and influenced by your parents, aunts , uncles etc ideals. Much the same as the catholics/protestants in NI or your local football rivals like liverpool and everton.

What a load of crap lol.

Can someone add a "who gives a fook" option.

My god some of you could argue in an empty room lol

Mickie

What the Scottish MPs did do was come down here and vote in favour for english uni students having to pay tuition fees, this had nothing to do with them but obviously Labour made a deal with them and students studying in england got screwed over.

Dunno bout the cost crap but he has a right to moan about Scottish parliament helping to screw over english students
You have quoted this part of my thread for which reason??
What does your reply have to do with being British?

Don't know the ins and outs' of the uni thing, only mentioned it as it was part of this twisted mans' problem.

As far as I can tell it is great that these possible future leaders of industry can study their craft and start their working life free of debt. Should be free all over the British Isles imo.
Why do you and a few others' see this as an England v Scotland thing.
This is one of the things I tried to avoid.

Nationalism was also something I tried to avoid. We are all proud of our roots for Christs' sake. Our nationality is something that shouldn't change unless your name is Joe Bugner.

Being a British citizen is another you can't easily change. Denying it doesn't make it less true. As for the member who doesn't regard himself as a Brit but gives his wholehearted support for the troops abroad whilst enjoying the comfort of feeling safe in Scotland. Hmm, I really have nothing worthwhile to add to his comments.

Chookey

What a load of crap lol.

Mickie

My sentiments exactly Michael, who really gives a flying, too many people still got a chip on their shoulders for shit that happened before they were even born, get a grip.

I am English

Best mate in the Army was a Welsh lad from Swansea, went on leave with a Scottish lad for two weeks just outside Biggar

Went to Belize 30 of us from the Northwest with a Battalion of RHF.

Shared a room with 2 lads from Northern Iron

No one give a f88k take people at face value were ever they are from.

Dont go on well his grandfather and the empire and all that shite its as bad as the football shite Celtic Rangers, Liverpool Everton etc etc.

Having read through the whole thread seems a couple still carry a chip on their shoulders.

When you go on holiday do you speak to the English, Welsh, Scottish, Irish, yes of course you do but when you are back in your own country its fookin hate them lol.

Just my 2p spankyou.

What a load of crap lol.

Mickie

Hahaha well said Mickie...Remind them all where all gypsies...Gypos I tell ya Gypos :proud: 13 pages all saying the same thing. easier to copy and paste.:ASSFLASH: I need a kebab, from the turkish british/england/united kingdom/great britain/British freezing Isles.erm did I miss something :Fish:

I wonder if they have the same problem in the states.
And another thing what's all the thanks button lark.
You thank someone for helping or giving good advice.
Mind I and many other get a good laugh so carry on thanking you thankers

So would you call Sir Cliff Richards & Joanna Lumley Indian because they were born there.
As the saying goes "if a pig is born in a stable doesn't make it a horse"
It's has bad as crap footballers who are not good enough for there country so they play for a Country that thier great great grandmother came from just so they can play for a National team.

Good God Phil Lynott would have a ball with that form.

I liked the interview with Lynott when they asked him "whats it like being black and Irish??"
He replied " its a bit like being a pint of guinness i suppose"

I have a lot of family down south and ive been lucky enough to have been all over the UK and for the most part ive found people to be very friendly.
When asked on holiday i always say im Scottish but it doesn't bother me that my passport says British citizen.

I think you have the right to be proud of whatever part of the UK you are from and when you are helping someone out or being helped on DW does it ever cross your mind what part they are from?

Personally i couldn't give a monkeys where you are from or what you regard yourself as, i use the old method of treating people as they treat me..
Unless you work at Dumbarton's local dump, in which case you are scum and should kill yourself now..lol

If asked abroad if i was scottish i would say yes, the same as if i was asked abroad if i was britsh or from the uk i would also say yes.

I have absolutely no problem with being called british as scotland is still part of britain and until that changes then someone born in scotland is still british if going on place of birth.

Hahaha well said Mickie...Remind them all where all gypsies...Gypos I tell ya Gypos :proud: 13 pages all saying the same thing. easier to copy and paste.:ASSFLASH: I need a kebab, from the turkish british/england/united kingdom/great britain/British freezing Isles.erm did I miss something :Fish:
Great reply mate,obviously took a lot of thought and time to compose. Mickie D asked if there was a "I don't give a fook option". Of course there is, if you don't give a fook then you don't reply and then move on to something that interests you, simples!!!

You remark obviously without actually reading the thread that 13 pages have been copied and pasted. The thing that you eerrmm?? missed... is to actually put your own point of view across and answer the question which was raised in my op.

If nothing else it has added a 1 to your post count, well done.

Chookey

I'm 100% Scottish & 100% British.
Britain is a great nation, and i just don't get why some people want to split it up.

I love all my fellow countrymen.
not in a sexual way :blushing:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back