Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Born in England and regard yourself as British

Votes: 52 51.5%
  • Born in Britain but don't regard yourself as British

Votes: 22 21.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We had a similar discussion last weekend on a diffrent thread, but the opinions were similar and everyone has and is entitled to their own.
When we can all live together and put our English/Scottish/Welsh/NI& Irish hats on as one nation then we might just have a GB football team or GB rugby.
Yet we can enter the Olympics as Team GB and i would like to think that all can be proud to be British as its made up of Athletes from all of the aforemetioned!

i think this subject is going on a bit so the end of the day we are a free country and can say what we are without people choosing what we are some may not like it but after all its free speech and some can like it or lump it

When you leave your home in scotland to go on holiday... when you reach the scottish border with britian do you show your passport???i think not.. this means scotland is in GB..

Until scotland gets independance from the union its still british.. like it or not.. and for independance it has to pass through parliment.. and for that to happen it must be agreed by the parties..

Personaly mate, i dont think you hate being british.. i think you hate the fact that britain is classed as england.. i know scotland is in britain. And i respect that..

Feel sorry for wales.. when the flag was made england and wales where 1 country under st georges cross lol..

Maybe a flag change would solve this problem for everyone.. and it at least should be taught in schools..???

" British by law, Scottish by birth,
Glaswegian by the act of God"

[SIGN]and a bit of the old Irish
thrown in fae ma maws side.[/SIGN]

glad we agreed on something lol

I have found it greatly amusing throuout this thread that anyone should pick an argument about nationality with a member who is proud enough about his heritage to put the Scottish flag as his avatar.
As if the location does not add to the fact of your evidently "A Proud Scottsman!" and there is nothing wrong in that.
And this comes from An Equally Pround Englishman, Mutual respect!

When you leave your home in scotland to go on holiday... when you reach the scottish border with britian do you show your passport???i think not.. this means scotland is in GB..

Until scotland gets independance from the union its still british.. like it or not.. and for independance it has to pass through parliment.. and for that to happen it must be agreed by the parties..

Personaly mate, i dont think you hate being british.. i think you hate the fact that britain is classed as england.. i know scotland is in britain. And i respect that..

Feel sorry for wales.. when the flag was made england and wales where 1 country under st georges cross lol..

Maybe a flag change would solve this problem for everyone.. and it at least should be taught in schools..???

yes mate you are rite i don't hate englishmen and have loads of friends down south as I'm working in the lorries 6 days a week down south but what i don't like is being classed as English as the scots are not liked for some reason and are like second class to the English pluss i will allways be scottish no matter what the law says

Last edited:
yes mate you are rite i don't hate englishmen and have loads of friends down south as I'm working in the lorries 6 days a week down south but what i don't like is being classed as English as the scots are not liked for some reason and are like second class to the English

Lucky you, we are 4th class...:proud:

I'm afraid it all boils down to historical differences , bad blood & the actions of the English Army and the English attempts to control Scotland and its people along time ago.
The Scotts have never forgotton it and rightly so as its part of History that not taught in English Schools.
My eyes wre only opened to all of this when my brother married a Scotts Lass and as an Englishman i dont stand proud of the acts of my ancestors.

yes mate you are rite i don't hate englishmen and have loads of friends down south as I'm working in the lorries 6 days a week down south but what i don't like is being classed as English as the scots are not liked for some reason and are like second class to the English pluss i will allways be scottish no matter what the law says

I dont see any scot's as second class citizens... The welsh maybe (jk).. Your no diferent than me or the next person.. .. and tbh i dont anyone who thinks that way?? maybe its the southern softies.. idk..

The only thing i treat as second class in scotland.. is the national football team.. theyre shat... but thats football banter.. :)

you will see from the last census from 2001 on page 6

question 7 is what is your country of birth and the options are there all the home countries

question 8 deals with ethnic group, if you are White you have a choice of British or Irish if you are black or asian there are other ethnic options.

this of course is the form sent to English and Welsh homes.....it goes without saying the Scotland had there own form.....i have no idea what the difference was but by some of the post on this thread it was probably a good idea...lol

ive not read all of thread so sorry if ive missed something,
but as hibbiedave pointed out ur poll is not correct for most scots .
As i myself fall into top option ,but 98% of my friends would disagree with me and say there scots fook britain.

I think the real question is that of national pride, who here honestly hand on heart considers themselves "British" before being English, Scottish, Welsh or whatever ? I doubt there's very many. That being the case if you were born in any of those countries then you are by nature British whether you like it or not. It's just most people consider themselve English, Scottish, Welsh as appropriate first and foremost. Because you can bet your last penny if this island ever errupted into war with each other again do you think anyone would be bothered about the fact that we all Brits n should stick together? Nah.

You do see the tribalism that still exists no matter what anyone says but obviously to a much lesser extent with the international football - else England,Scotland,Wales wouldn't exist there'd just be the 1 GB team. So really it doesn't matter who considers themselves British or not, because really when put into perspective it's a tiny island with tensions between the handful of countries living on it, all the British thing is really is a flag we can all look at and attempt to live peacefully by except history won't allow it so there'll always be that tribal divide between the individual countries. I'm English and proud of it, and I'm sure the Scottish and the Welsh feel just as much pride to be Scottish and Welsh respectively. In the grand scheme of things I think the British thing is just a smokescreen, plain and simple. Though it's 2010, we should all be able to let bygones be bygones and not judge each other by nationality in my view. Take people as they are not where they are from.

Wow, interesting repetitive opinions.
Amazing how true feelings come out in threads like this. Our history has a lot to play with that. That and natural hurt from stories told to us from our elders.

Putting that aside, where are we now?...Scotland, N.I, Wales, even that Island at the bottom of our map 'Isle of Wight' (*cough* inbreds...just kidding lol) are all under the Banner of Great Britain and British. Now that my friends like it or not we can not get away from.

If you were to go abroad, they would still class you as Scottish from GB, Welsh from GB, and so on. We are all labelled one way or another. If you dont like it, you will go out of your way to fight it. The only way we can change it is by changing the Law of the land as it is.

My opinion...our fore-fathers were all nomads at one time. So that would make everyone in the world as gypsies at on time :Moon:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back