Announcement from TM.com

I do hope the welcome PM from Mick is sincere, no matter what the background of a new member. Let me just say how entertaining this thread has become, it certainly beats anything on the TV tonight :Clap: regardless of which receiver you have.
However, it does trouble me though, how much flack is aimed at the Darkside and this seems to be very deep rooted. Is this historical, with a few members blindly following a leader or have those members actually had experience of the "other" side? This I doubt because for many years now, I have never had a problem with either service or backup, never had to return a product, be it one of my TMs or more recently the Dark and Spider.
Anyway, all credit for the backup being offered to the unfortunate TM owners around the country.

Ive heard loads of good reports about the spider, ive heard bad about the spider. And the same goes for tm's linux recievers.

But as ellie has already said we get darkman and his followers popping up on here hell bent on causing trouble. We also have members who come here for help with their spider boxes.

And the reason they come here is because when they asked for help or mention problems on the dark side they get told there are no problems or they get banned. for example https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/252049/

Welcome to the site stick around and you will see for yourself what dw is all about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately we have a few members with bad experiences with the support offered elsewhere, they complain on here then we get loads of spam and abuse from elsewhere.

We are not anti spiderbox we have a spiderbox section but the admin/mods from another site that do not allow any negative comments about their boxes are not happy that we attempt to be as impartial as possible so every so often they steam over and causes chaos for a while.

Oh well these things happen and we have broad shoulders.

Myself and an admin have been critical owners of the tm800 but it's hard to stay critical when tm are bending over backwards to get things done at their expense, anyone who is familiar with cable or sat boxes knows that normally a box is turned into revision b and it's a case of fook you pay again but with this box tm have taken the hit and are updating the box at a cost to themselves, this is a 1st for me.

We will still attempt to be impartial not matter what the make of box but we are only human.

I doubt they could have justified a Rev B when the initial rev never worked properly from day one and still doesnt it should at least do what it's advertised to do before they can release a rev B. Even if they did would anyone have bought it..consdering the track record on the old one ?

Looks like it's slowly getting there though...be intresting to see what the next few months bring...dont hold your breath though...

i would beg to differ . from what i have gathered they where told by the teams who are now developing images etc for the box that the chip needed to be re-programmed to become more stable and easier to write sofware to - so this is what Tm are doing. so im actually very excited now becasue in the next few months i think this we black box is going to take of big time !!!!!!!!

I doubt they could have justified a Rev B when the initial rev never worked properly from day one and still doesnt it should at least do what it's advertised to do before they can release a rev B. Even if they did would anyone have bought it..consdering the track record on the old one ?

Looks like it's slowly getting there though...be intresting to see what the next few months bring...dont hold your breath though...

dm800 clones are upto revision m on their tuners and people still buy them so we will have to agree to disagree I think.

Unfortunately I am a little dubious as I sent info on how to get the network mounts to work and recieved this answer
Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.
What the fook does he expect (PUT IT IN THE IMAGE DOH), so tm are trying their best but UR_team seem a little lost. I won't bother offering help again.

dm800 clones are upto revision m on their tuners and people still buy them so we will have to agree to disagree I think.

Unfortunately I am a little dubious as I sent info on how to get the network mounts to work and recieved this answer
Code:
What the fook does he expect (PUT IT IN THE IMAGE DOH), so tm are trying their best but UR_team seem a little lost. I won't bother offering help again.

I think the next best step for this box is for some serious teams to take it up now the cpu is sorted.

We need the new source out to those 8 teams.

To suggest that DW is anti Spiderbox is just wrong.

There is, IMO, a slight bias towards Technomate, but that's probably because we have a moderator who puts a lot of time an effort into that particular brand. If others put as much work into any other box as Digidude does then we could quite easily be accused of being a pro Dream Multimedia, Starview, Kryptview forum!

For what it's worth, I had a Spiderbox 9000 for a few months and I loved it, the only gripes I had were.......

1. Darkmans attitude.
2. Xvid/Divx/MKV support was shit.
3. Zap speed was slow.

.....apart from that, it was a blimming great wee box - if a little boring.

As a side note - rather important point actually - the image quality on the Spiderbox is (IMO) truly stunning.

Last edited:
To be frank, is anything (PC, TV, etc etc) ever complete when it is released? I for one would rather buy "rev c" when most of the bugs are ironed out. In todays world, there will always be a rev-b, rev-c etc. be it in software or hardware. There will always be major developments for which a premium can be charged, as there will always subsequently be an "end of line", this is inevitable and the price will always reflect this, it's basic economics. End of line sales are totally justifiable, as too are dealers taking advantage of product developments, anyone neglecting this fact will not be in business for long.

Just my opinion on certain coments in this thread.

DM800 tuner has no problems at all and if they did I dont think they would be releaesing new revisons of the box to fix it they would do what TM are doing and get it sorted or replace the box.

Lets just remember the TM800 is not a clone and people should stop comparing it to cheap clone DM800 boxes that come with no official suport.

Several people have mentioned that TM are doing this update at great cost to them. From what I have read if they have proven the processor to be at fault I would imagine that some of the bill will be covered.

My final point is if this fix sorts the TM800 which I actualy think is looking good, TM know that this would be money well spent as the forums will generate a great deal of positive advertisement of the TM brand.

Code:

I agree, clones are a different kettle of fish though...they cost half the price of the original...thats the risk you run with clones.

I dont see the originals on multiple tuner revisions...and the software image quality, features support and genaral internet support is far superior to any TM reciever...

You cant really compare any Linux reciever support wise and software wise to the DM's apart from VU DUO at the minute...everyone else is just either porting Dreambox code and images.

Last edited:
I agree, clones are a different kettle of fish though...they cost half the price of the original...thats the risk you run with clones.

I dont see the originals on multiple tuner revisions...and the software image quality, features support and genaral internet support is far superior to any TM reciever...

You cant really compare any Linux reciever support wise and software wise to the DM's apart from VU DUO at the minute...everyone else is just either porting Dreambox code and images.
and why is there more support from dreamboxes??
because it was open source from the begining TM have only just done this it has only just been released
now the boxes are having fixes i would see the images stating to come out fast as fook

Just my opinion on certain coments in this thread.

DM800 tuner has no problems at all and if they did I dont think they would be releaesing new revisons of the box to fix it they would do what TM are doing and get it sorted or replace the box.

Lets just remember the TM800 is not a clone and people should stop comparing it to cheap clone DM800 boxes that come with no official suport.

Several people have mentioned that TM are doing this update at great cost to them. From what I have read if they have proven the processor to be at fault I would imagine that some of the bill will be covered.

My final point is if this fix sorts the TM800 which I actualy think is looking good, TM know that this would be money well spent as the forums will generate a great deal of positive advertisement of the TM brand.

not being funny...........but TM aint leaders in the field of Linux
they are really a clone of a Dreambox......trying desperately to cash in the market...

they seem to have more probs with their ORIGINAL boxes than any of the clone DM's..

I have had a CLONE Dm800 ....couldnt even begin to tell wtf tuner is in it..
but have never had 1 isuue .....u all need to find reputable manufacturer/dealer ...

and Tina and toni aint the one......sorry,,,

not being funny...........but TM aint leaders in the field of Linux
they are really a clone of a Dreambox.....

Technomate is a genuine manufacturer, not a Chinese clone producer.

They may have finally cottoned on to the benefits embedded Linux, but that doesn't make them a manufacturer of illegal clone hardware.

Technomate is a genuine manufacturer, not a Chinese clone producer.

They may have finally cottoned on to the benefits embedded Linux, but that doesn't make them a manufacturer of illegal clone hardware.

they are really a clone of a Dreambox......trying desperately to cash in the market...

that was total sarcasism m8........i have had few TM's
I fully know that they are not clones of any manufacturer......

the REAL point was that finally they have copt on to how their box might further itself in the market.....

which actually puts them back in 2nd place imo

I can't really get around why people are heaping such praise on TM for this move :err: if you bought a brand new Astra, and paid a premium for it at that, and after 6 months Vauxhall said "oh no we've stuck the engine in upside down which is why you can't get above 30mph, doh!" would you really be full of praise when you got it back but the retractable panoramic roof (as advertised) still wont go back. "Oh Vauxhal are such wonderful people. They really go the extra mile"

There's a big difference between upgrading/tweaking, even revisions compared to something that hasn't worked from day 1. After all it's taken 6 months for them to realise a soft firmware issue was crippling the product, and don't forget still some things which don't work which we've been sworn blindly would be fixed on <enter date here> many many times before. You can blame it on UR, or even NXP but at the end of the day it is one of the most monumental cockup of TM for not seeing things through properly from quality control to testing the fooking thing actually works properly before taking peoples money off them and pushing it out the door.

I hope people will remember that I'm not one of the TM basher brigade on here. I spent my money almost on day one and have stood up for TM many a time having faith that the next promised fix was just around the corner only to be let down again. I'll be grateful when the box does what I bought it for but I'm not going to stand around patting TM on the back and lauding what a great company they are when all they've done is incompently/blindly dragged us all through their poorly implemented project and almost got things the way they should've in the first place, so the buck stops with them.

To say "oh well, at least they aren't Darktwat or any of his shallow ended gene pool" is a moot point. I don't care what any other product or any other manufacturers business ethics are..... I bought a Technomate product and like anything I buy, I expect it to work and do as advertised - not wait 6 months to almost be there. It does not go with the territory. Anything sold in the UK is accountable to certain laws, especially how things are advertised and sold as, even products for use in grey areas.

Also saying "it's a Linux box for hobyists" etc -I'm a programmer and I don't expect everything to run stable like a Sly STB. I agree tweaking bits and pieces is part of the appeal and I'm more than willing to roll my sleves up, but how can you even attempt to fix something yourself when the open source wasn't released until recenetly, and even then the problem is with core closed source components that are impossible to fix yourself.

Barmy sycophants the lot of ya and I wish you'd stop but I guess we're all entitled to our opinions; even if you're wrong :silly:

Last edited:
brilliant post m8, i totally agree............but as u dont have the "image" developer DOGTAGS attached to ur username, u dont qualify to have an opinion about TM...

Hope u understand

brilliant post m8, i totally agree............but as u dont have the "image" developer DOGTAGS attached to ur username, u dont qualify to have an opinion about TM...

Hope u understand

:roflmao: dodged a bullet there :)

Barmy sycophants the lot of ya and I wish you'd stop but I guess we're all entitled to our opinions; even if you're wrong :silly:

You seem to be forgetting that the user-base demanded the release of the box.

Some of us asked for the box ito be released in it's current state. You'll find that people who fall into this category are more or less happy.

We knew we were buying an unfinished product and wanted to see the machine grow and ENJOY the experience, as the nerds that we are.

I'm more than a little confused as to why Technomate gave it a general release to Joe Bloggs at the same time, as when I bought it I was expecting an uphill battle and relished the challenge and frustrations of watching the box grow.

I'm confused.

If it's hardware then how will software change the hardware? :err:

Sounds to me like they are replacing the cpu - which I wish they would anyway.

Its probably some kind of configurable gate array or microcoded processor - with such things you can repair 'faults' in the processor core or even possibly change the configuration entirely to make the chip into a totally different processor !

There's lots of gate array cores where you can easily build something like an ARM processor from the available logic

Its probably some kind of configurable gate array or microcoded processor - with such things you can repair 'faults' in the processor core or even possibly change the configuration entirely to make the chip into a totally different processor !

There's lots of gate array cores where you can easily build something like an ARM processor from the available logic

Cheers mate. I've been reading up on this stuff and it's fascinating, seems like the way forward.

I'd imagine that any configurable arrays would result in a slower MIPS compared to a solid state circuit?

I don't have dw dog tags?

Look at the xbox 360.

Original over heated (overheated)

New elite supposedly fixed the issue (overheated)

Slim console supposedly has finally fixed the issue. Plus other niggles consumers had like no wifi on board etc.

Look at alll those toyota's that had to be recalled due to breaks failing and accelarators sticking. So it's not just TM it happens to huge companys too.

They have now identified the issue and hopefully we should now see some great images coming our way. If you really are not happy with this reciever which i can totally understand send it back for a full refund and move on or sell it and move on.

At this stage if you are still hanging on then you can't be as un happy as you make out.

Back