2nd Stage Bootloader - I'm confused.

Ok cool sounds achievable lol. I think it might be one of things that once its all in front of me will make sense! In the mean time I have lots more reading to do lol thanx for your replies guys :)

It depends on the image you use m8,some come with a file installer included, some dont,
either way you would ftp the file to the /tmp folder then if the image has a file installer use that and it will do the work for you,
otherwise you can telnet into your box and issue :

opkg install /tmp/name-of-plugin.ipk

:)

Nice one Wizz!

I'm lazy you see and always fire up DCC and then load the package file that way......lazy i iz! .....lol 6 and 2 3's i guess, good post though matey

Ok cool sounds achievable lol. I think it might be one of things that once its all in front of me will make sense! In the mean time I have lots more reading to do lol thanx for your replies guys :)

Make sure you have a mini-usb lead and then even if you mess up its easily sorted,
dont mess around till you have one ;)

Lol thanx! I'm sure I've got one somewhere! I kept my serial cable just incase aswell but it seems these boxes don't have serial ports do they

Lol thanx! I'm sure I've got one somewhere! I kept my serial cable just incase aswell but it seems these boxes don't have serial ports do they

No they have mini USB m8 :)

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

I know it's been a long day at work, am i reading this correctly?

[Rat] Dream 800SE > flash the image dont reboot open new url and flash the SSL then reboot and you ready to go

[Wiz] Dream 800HD > flash the new ssl84a and reboot the box then flash the image through the web interface as normal, if you are sure the image contains the new bootloader then reboot,if not sure flash the ssl84a again.....

When you flash a new ssl do you do it the same way as an image? Just click flash new image browse for it etc do the business then reboot the box?

yeah, but one thing i done wrong was flash the boot loader and then the image with out a re-boot, best way advised by wizz! (thanks wizz and the team!) was if your on 82 then flash the boot loader and then let the box reboot, then flash the image and for safety you can then flash the boot loader just to be sure before re-booting.

I done it the wrong way, flashed the boot loader, didn't reboot the box and then got the lush ca-error or what ever it is, the one where the rest of your plans for the rest of the day are up the swanny! you know that feeling of plugging the power in and then your little heart sinking when you suddenly for a second think "mint" and then the screen goes black, your heart pounding, and then wammmm " CA-ERROR " nothing some times better than that for sending you over the edge......think i'd rather get me toe nails plucked out by the jaws and teeth of a 1000 wolves than go through that again....lol...learned the hard way i guess..but i won't be repeating that error if i can help it.!

Oh and it will also depend on the image, some of them come with the ssl84 etc, but you'd have to have the same SSL as the image that your wanting to put on.

(i hear a howling at the front door? oh look, it's the pack of wolves, one of them has a null modem cable in it's teeth.......)

i'm loosing it aint i?

Last edited:
When you flash a new ssl do you do it the same way as an image? Just click flash new image browse for it etc do the business then reboot the box?

If upgrading the ssl then yes thats what i do,exactly as if you were doing an image flash,but let the box reboot fully.

If changing image then it will depend on what type of image and what bootloader it has :)

yeah, but one thing i done wrong was flash the boot loader and then the image with out a re-boot, best way advised by wizz! (thanks wizz and the team!) was if your on 82 then flash the boot loader and then let the box reboot, then flash the image and for safety you can then flash the boot loader just to be sure before re-booting.

I done it the wrong way, flashed the boot loader, didn't reboot the box and then got the lush ca-error or what ever it is, the one where the rest of your plans for the rest of the day are up the swanny! you know that feeling of plugging the power in and then your little heart sinking when you suddenly for a second think "mint" and then the screen goes black, your heart pounding, and then wammmm " CA-ERROR " nothing some times better than that for sending you over the edge......think i'd rather get me toe nails plucked out by the jaws and teeth of a 1000 wolves than go through that again....lol...learned the hard way i guess..but i won't be repeating that error if i can help it.!

Oh and it will also depend on the image, some of them come with the ssl84 etc, but you'd have to have the same SSL as the image that your wanting to put on.

(i hear a howling at the front door? oh look, it's the pack of wolves, one of them has a null modem cable in it's teeth.......)

i'm loosing it aint i?

Lol dibbers, your confusing me! So, what your saying is to be safe, with the box in its current state (with the image and bootloader it ships with) upgrade the bootloader first then reboot the box still with the stock image and then flash a new image?

Will I have to flash a bootloader on it everytime I change firmware? Even if it's still an ssl84 image?

Sorry man, I've been known to do that in the past, confuse people that is! lol....

you won't have to keep flashing the boot loader (SSL)

Yeah flash the SSL and then re-boot and then flash the image.....not really much out for the new SSL i admit, they say a few bug fixes etc. (wi-fi) still a problem on the 800hd....but you won't notice any difference really.....i'd just get an image on the stock box and then worry about the SSL some other time.....it's really not that important...(you can flash original images with the new SSL etc. so i've read so it might come in handy for this should you want an original image on)

(I've took me medication so it won't be long...lol)

oh and really i can't say this enough, once your all up and running make a back up man! then if you ever wanna revert back to the state the box was in at the time of running the backup, then you can restore it and it'll come back to life fully functional!

Last edited:
Ok mate thanx you do the backup with tspanel don't you? I'll get that setup and do the backup :)

yeah mate, i really can't say it enough, (i was even thinking of getting a tattoo with it on "make a Ts Panel BackUp...I Thank you" along my forehead) i do admit though that they lull you into a false sence of security, where your up and running and there's nothing wrong with the box at all, but some thing gets the better of you, it's like a drug ! IT'S THE ADDONS BUTTON! the blue button of pain i like to call it!

You have to pick the remote up and go to the "addons" panel! then you download and install some thing, your not quite sure what it's done but according to the trail of linux commands on the screen you see it's doing some thing, then you re-boot.tik...tok....tik....tok...and it's gone, the lot, all them lovely configurations that you had, all them channels, and your presented with a kick in the teeth from the NO_CA bloke.....or maybe his sister the green spleen of pain.......it's time to dig that null modem cable out....(or usb in the SE's case!)

think i better go for a lie down.......as you can see i'm quite partial to a backup being stored some where....

Lol well I look forward to pulling my hair out then! Thanx again for your help dibbers and thanx wiz aswell :) (wish tapatalk let you click like)

Back