wireless range

freddo270

Inactive User
Reaction score
i am looking to purchase a wireles cable router and a either a wireless mini-pci, usb or expresscard for my laptop.

what i want to know tho is wots the average distance these babies can connect over - my house is about 350 - 400 metere's from my work place. my main pc is in the front bedroom sort of facing my work. i would like to know if it would be possible to connect to my network / router using my laptop from my work?

i've had a brief look around and seen some directional antenna's etc but i've also seen some buffalo kits that claim to be 400 - 500 meters. would these work or would i need to get a directional antenna??

thanks in advance.

Directional are better for what you are after, as all the power is being directed to where you want it.

ok, thanks. do u know what sort would be best or what power (dB) coz they tend to vary in price.

hi there m8 i am currently using 2*cisco aironet350 wireles pci cards with directional antennas at 20db, and i can connect over 1000meters however take note the the are cisco (very good wireless equipment but pricey)and i use directional antennas. using a laptop wireless card will have nowhere near the 1000meters plus i get. choose very carefully when thinking of connecting over distance as not very many routers/cards can actually do what they say on the box, ie indoor350meters outdoor650meters!!!!!!!!!

Also, look out to see if you can get an outdoor / external directional antenna, as it can make a fair difference to the signal.

You may also find that the number of buildings, people traffic between your work and home will also have an enourmous effect.
Bought some cheap Belikin wireless equipment and find that signal can fluctuate between poor and Excellent depending on people walking around the house.

Back