PSU buying advise.

Grimeire

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am planning on upgrading my NAS with 3 additional HDDs the problem i have is that my PSU is only a 290w and all the PSU calculators are telling me i need about a 350-370w PSU.

I have no clue about these and all the ones i see recommended are in my mind expensive at over €100. The one i currently have is this so all it needs to have is a motherboard connection and the 4 pin CPU. It has a 8 pin motherboard connection but you can buy adapters for 24 to 8 pin.

all i care about it is that it has enough power to do the job. is as cheap as possible and is energy efficient.
I will buy an adapter for it to connect to the 8 pin motherboard connection.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I've just been looking at the specs for a WD Red Nas hard drive and the power consumption is really low.

Power Consumption3.3 Watt (read) ¦ 3.3 Watt (write) ¦ 2.3 Watt (idle) ¦ 0.4 Watt (sleep)
That was for a 1Tb drive but wouldn't really differ much between capacities. So 3 extra drives may only put another 10W of strain on your power supply .
If you try and draw too much power out of your psu it will shut down. No damage should occur to any components or motherboard.

I've just been looking at the specs for a WD Red Nas hard drive and the power consumption is really low.

Power Consumption3.3 Watt (read) ¦ 3.3 Watt (write) ¦ 2.3 Watt (idle) ¦ 0.4 Watt (sleep)
That was for a 1Tb drive but wouldn't really differ much between capacities. So 3 extra drives may only put another 10W of strain on your power supply .

If you try and draw too much power out of your psu it will shut down. No damage should occur to any components or motherboard.
From what I can tell on sites 3w is at idle when they are reading and writing it is double that. Since it is a raid array the data is spread across them all they all will be allq going when reading/writing large files and as this is my torrent server that is on 24/7 these are seeding night and day so that would mean they are pretty much being read from all the time.

I would chance it but as the new vdev is linked to the other in a pool it means the whole pool would go down if I just disconnect the additional disks if I do run into issues while I wait for the new PSU. I don't want to create a new pool as this would result in a lot more work for me instead of adding to the existing pool.

I should add that my 290w is probably already at its limits with 4 * 3.5 hdds, 1 nmve SSD, 1 SSDs, 1 * 2.5 HDD, a PCIe raid controller, a dual PCIe ethernet card and the Xeon 1225 V3 processor. My Nas is virtualized in esxi so if I have power issues my whole network goes down as I have my router, DNS, and DHCP servers all virtualized on this machine.

this is probably a stupid question but does that PSU have the correct connection for my board as i see it has "1 x 4-pin FDD Power" or do i need to buy an adapter?
I also need a 8025 fan like this with a molex connector since the PSU has molex connections or one or should i be getting a different connector type like one of these?

This is a server so it just needs to do a job and be quiet and doesn't have to look pretty.

Back