Sharing a Common SSD

Gwyn1

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am looking for advice on the following.

I have a PC, and a Laptop, and my wife has a laptop. All three have WIN 10 Pro installed.

On my PC I have an SSD System disk plus a 2 T byte storage HDD. Split into three partitions 1. Data Disk, 2. Photo Disk, and 3. Download disk.

The laptops only have an SSD System Disk.

I would like to be able to Read / Write to a common storage SSD from the PC or either laptop at any time, rather than chase about with memory sticks all the time.

My idea was to buy a new Large portable drive with wifi access that I could use as a common source. I was told that I could connect an SSD to the USB Port on my BT Router and do just that, But I understand that MS now block that route ?

I do not want to go to a remote Cloud server, and have looked at various NAS Enclosures, but think that method and cost is over the top for what I need.

Any suggestions for an old but keen amateur ?

Why not share the disk on the pc and then map network drives on the laptops

My idea was to buy a new Large portable drive with wifi access that I could use as a common source. I was told that I could connect an SSD to the USB Port on my BT Router and do just that, But I understand that MS now block that route ?
Couldn't you plug a usb drive into your router to test if it works?

I have 2 drives attached to my Asus router and all PC's and laptop's can read or write to them using the local network.
All on Windows 10....

I have 2 drives attached to my Asus router and all PC's and laptop's can read or write to them using the local network.
All on Windows 10....
Asus routers are a bit different as they update their firmware as no one would buy them if they did not, bt plusnet etc come free, if you want the extra features buy Asus etc

JonMMM is right. Tried attaching a USB stick to my BT Router and got the error message "SMB V2 Not Supported"

Sill not sure why the PC cannot act as the NAS with shared drive?

@JonMMM .Would it not mean that the PC would have to be powered up no matter which laptop was in use ?

Hi, I am looking for advice on the following.

I have a PC, and a Laptop, and my wife has a laptop. All three have WIN 10 Pro installed.

On my PC I have an SSD System disk plus a 2 T byte storage HDD. Split into three partitions 1. Data Disk, 2. Photo Disk, and 3. Download disk.

The laptops only have an SSD System Disk.

I would like to be able to Read / Write to a common storage SSD from the PC or either laptop at any time, rather than chase about with memory sticks all the time.

I do not want to go to a remote Cloud server, and have looked at various NAS Enclosures, but think that method and cost is over the top for what I need.

Any suggestions for an old but keen amateur ?
I've tried to do this numerous ways, but at the end of the day simplicity won out and I went with a NAS - they don't need to cost the earth - and do work well if you want/need to keep the data at your own site. Having said that I've recently switched to cloud storage (Microsoft) and find that to be far superior with a smaller up-front cost, albeit a higher monthly fee.

I really think the best way is to invest in a cheap J NAS model from synology. They are not expensive and get updates for many years.

Back