Wiping a HDD

willin

DW Regular
Reaction score
Gent’s, I’m thinking of reinstalling windows on my desktop PC seeing as I have lots of time at the moment, My problem is the time it will take to Wipe my HDD, it’s a 2TB (1.81 TB really) segate barracuda bought around 5 years ago, I have loaded DBAN using rufus onto a usb 3, my pc only has usb 2.
I think it will take days for just 1 wipe, is there another faster way to wipe the HDD? Or should I use an old smaller HDD I have spare?
TIA

Gent’s, I’m thinking of reinstalling windows on my desktop PC seeing as I have lots of time at the moment, My problem is the time it will take to Wipe my HDD, it’s a 2TB (1.81 TB really) segate barracuda bought around 5 years ago, I have loaded DBAN using rufus onto a usb 3, my pc only has usb 2.
I think it will take days for just 1 wipe, is there another faster way to wipe the HDD? Or should I use an old smaller HDD I have spare?
TIA

why wipe it beforehand?

install the drive in the pc
Get the windows 10 usb download tool and make a install usb stick.
Load the usb stick and you can format within the installer program.
I don’t think it would take that long really. Definitely time for a cuppa but would be quicker than formatting then installing.

If you are starting with a fresh is install. Consider getting an ssd and using the 2tb for storage.

When I first used an ssd I haven’t looked back and have installed them in all my laptops and pc since.

why wipe it beforehand?

install the drive in the pc
Get the windows 10 usb download tool and make a install usb stick.
Load the usb stick and you can format within the installer program.
I don’t think it would take that long really. Definitely time for a cuppa but would be quicker than formatting then installing.

Hmmm, as usual I was about as clear as mud (sorry @rawsy) The drive is in the machine and is my drive with windows on it ATM, I could look for a SSD that may be a better option - recommendations for SSD size etc please, cheers.

Hmmm, as usual I was about as clear as mud (sorry @rawsy) The drive is in the machine and is my drive with windows on it ATM, I could look for a SSD that may be a better option - recommendations for SSD size etc please, cheers.

Youll have no problems with a 240gb drive i dont see the point of going higher if its only used for windows and programs.

I have a 240gb ssd and it is amply for Windows and programs.

no problem, we got crossed wires with the mention of usb.
With or without ssd I would just load the tool to a usb stick and format either ssd or hdd or both from the utility on the installer.

Then just install to the drive you want.

Back