System restore killed my Win 10

trevortron

VIP Member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
A fairly young PC laptop, less than 2 years old HP Spectre i7 with 16GB RAM. Came with Win10 and it has been great.
I was having problems with my wifi frequently reporting 'No Internet', it seemed to start after a Windoze update about 3 weeks ago. So today I though why not try a system restore & put it back to how it was pre-update. I chose the restore point prior to the update, hit the Next button and that was it. BSOD now every time I try to re-start. I have tried the various recovery option that are offered, (MS and HP) even tried letting it restore windoze (keeping files) but it still runs into a stop error. (I now practically know my blockchain key off by heart!!)
SO before deleting everything I tried booting into Zorin off a USB stick so I could backup my important(ish) files. Zorin ran fine (using it now) but I couldn't see my Windows directories, is there some way of "un-hiding" them? Or am I about to lose about a TB of videos, images & MP3's?
TIA.

Have you got a cd drive for it? If you have try the ultimate boot cd or a later version of Hirens boot cd that has the option to boot up into xp that may see your files.

Have you got a cd drive for it? If you have try the ultimate boot cd or a later version of Hirens boot cd that has the option to boot up into xp that may see your files.
No CD drive (and only one standard USB port so my external drive won't work) but it boots quite happily off USB, I'll see if it works with a thumb drive.

Yep, Hirens did the trick, just copying 800+GB onto a portable 1TB HDD I knew would come in handy one day! Thank you for the tips.
Now I have Hirens, I'll have a play with the utilities to see if I can rescue my Win10, nothing to lose.
C: drive was locked but opened no problem with the 48 digit bitlocker key.
It's taking ages so I'm off to bed to let it do its thing.
Night all!

Happy days m8 never use Windows system restore point it sucks bad ;)

Last edited:
Happy days m8 never use Windows system restore point it sucks bad ;)

I've used it countless times before as a 'get out of jail' card, usually successfully, but it's never been that great with Win10. This is the first time it's completely crashed on me. Lesson learned.

It just gets better.
Downloaded the MCT & Win10 (on an old, working PC) from Microshit, got as far as being able to choose between keeping or removing existing files, app's etc.
Tried the first option and the 'compatability Report' tells me this option is not available if starting the computer using Windoze installation media (So why TF offer the option??).
Tried the second option (Install Windoze only) and lo! I'm told I can't install on this partition because "Bitlocker Drive Enryption is enabled on this drive" and to suspend it in Control Panel. If only...
Edit: It won't even boot into Safe Mode - fuctifano what I've done lol!

Last edited:
That's done the trick!! When I was looking at the drives in Hiren I thought about formatting those volumes but I worried that doing so might delete something important. But Win10 is up & running again so well chuffed, thank you @spud1966 for the pointer.
Next is a visit to HP's site to get the correct drivers for sound, graphcs, BT etc. etc.

Nice one @trevortron good to see you got it sorted m8 ;)
After a few re-starts it has found and installed all the drivers itself, well impressed. AND it's running like new again, I'd forgotten how quick it was.
Thankfully the Wifi is also stable now, the reason for the doomed System Restore in the first place lol!

Back