What's your plan for the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm planning to live until i'm 128 and a half years old.

I'm 55 at the moment so i'm still on track.

I'll keep you all informed.

thats some work you put in there Flash :) most done yourself or mostly tradesmen ?
@FocuS

Last edited by a moderator:
thats some work you put in there Flash :) most done yourself or mostly tradesmen ?
@FocuS

hey @Rat, the render and roof trades men did I just supplied all materials, the inside mostly me and my brother in law and a friend :) oh and the wife and her sister, but its been a long slog but i can see the end now :) the electrics were all done by a friend too so keeps the cost down tremendously, I ain't got tons of money so its not easy but its coming on now :)

I feel lucky. My health is fine, I have three great children and three great grandchildren. All are fit and well.

My mother needs some support, having gone through chemotherapy recently and about to start radiotherapy.

To all those with health issues, I wish you well. All those looking to the future, go for it and good luck.

I never actually had a plan, still don't, it all worked out okay though :)

hey @Rat, the render and roof trades men did I just supplied all materials, the inside mostly me and my brother in law and a friend :) oh and the wife and her sister, but its been a long slog but i can see the end now :) the electrics were all done by a friend too so keeps the cost down tremendously, I ain't got tons of money so its not easy but its coming on now :)

Nice, what's the broadband like? :D.

My lads are all grown up , grandchild on the way. I have 8 years left to do on the railway to get to my 40 years service and hopefully retire at 57/58 , got plans to move to Tenerife to enjoy the remainder of my time in this life.

Not really making to much plans at the minute.
I think I've missed out as my Mrs wouldn't go to Australia with me about 10 years ago.
I had job ready on big wage.
My plans was to knock my pan in then come back to give us a head start.
But thinking back now the only plan for the future is to go out for a night and my Mrs buys a fooking drink.

My advice to anyone, especially the younger ones is, buy property if you possibly can, overpay the mortgage as much as possible, invest in more property if at all possible to build a buy-to-let portfolio, this will be your pension, don't bother with private pension plans, the returns are hideous. Brand new cars are a no-no, depreciation is massive.

This model enabled me to retire at 45 to Spain with no financial worries. Not saying that I haven't had a slice of luck on the way but hard work and calculated risk-taking can achieve your dreams, always have realistic and achievable aspirations. Set yourself a realistic target and a timescale to achieve it, once you achieve it, set a new target etc. Repeat as necessary.
Obviously ill health will scupper these plans and nothing is more important than your own well-being.

- - - Updated - - -

To all those with health problems I wish you all the best for the future.

My advice to anyone, especially the younger ones is, buy property if you possibly can, overpay the mortgage as much as possible, invest in more property if at all possible to build a buy-to-let portfolio, this will be your pension, don't bother with private pension plans, the returns are hideous. Brand new cars are a no-no, depreciation is massive.

This model enabled me to retire at 45 to Spain with no financial worries. Not saying that I haven't had a slice of luck on the way but hard work and calculated risk-taking can achieve your dreams, always have realistic and achievable aspirations. Set yourself a realistic target and a timescale to achieve it, once you achieve it, set a new target etc. Repeat as necessary.
Obviously ill health will scupper these plans and nothing is more important than your own well-being.

- - - Updated - - -

To all those with health problems I wish you all the best for the future.

Very good advice!

I would suggest that anyone thinking of buying property now just hold back a little, as I read that there maybe a price crash on property on the horizon (this all depends who you believe lol).

Because of the pound versus euro we have held back on buying in Spain, and we are looking now at a buy to rent property in England.

But we are holding out to see what happens with the property market.

Regards
Mick

Last edited:
I feel lucky. My health is fine, I have three great children and three great grandchildren. All are fit and well.

My mother needs some support, having gone through chemotherapy recently and about to start radiotherapy.

To all those with health issues, I wish you well. All those looking to the future, go for it and good luck.

I never actually had a plan, still don't, it all worked out okay though :)

all the best to your mum , watched my own mum go through this sadly she passed away in january , i hope your mum has a full recovery

I too am in the "Why have a plan?" camp- way too many things can happen to screw it up, so I suppose you could say I am just winging it. One of my so-called plans was to sell up (properties) in Edinburgh, move to Portugal & live off the interest. BUT I get bored doing nothing, so started up a small TV business which took off- which is just as well, the annual interest I was getting (sufficient for a reasonably comfortable lifestyle) dropped to just over £100 a year!
As @dantis correctly stated, 'normal' pension schemes are pish, they only line the pockets of the IFA (AKA salesman) unless you are very lucky, so best to have your own provision for retirement if possible.
I am in my early 50's and still reasonably fit and able, but I am starting to feel the effects of age creeping up so hope to be hanging up the ladders in the foreseeable.
My heart goes out to those who's health problems severely affect their ability to earn. Whilst the UK state system provides to an extent, it can never be a substitute for providing for yourself. Here it's virtually non-existent. Folk who cannot work have to rely heavily on volunteers, family, friends etc., no matter how much they've paid into the system over the years.

Looks like we are in a similar camp @trevortron, I sold properties in Greater London to move to Spain and live off the interest, which has dropped like a stone! Fortunately I kept one property which generates a very generous rental income. However, like you I am in my early 50s so I do work a little. I work one day a week installing satellite TV etc, also I have a Transit van which I use for 'man and a van' jobs, which I love.

Health care is the same situation as well, Spain's medical system is fantastic but there is very little after-care which is the responsibility of family and friends.

Health care should always be a consideration when pondering retiring abroad. Primary care here used to be excellent, but now with the country's finances on the rack it has suffered wholesale cutbacks. I doubt if Portugal is alone in this, and as for private care, insurance companies are getting very cute at wriggling out of claims.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back