what about the Birds

Thats a cracker digi, how long did it take him before he landed on your hand?

he just came up to me m8, its not the first time its happened either

i was putting him on the fence bit you can see, and he would fly back over to me, in the end i put him on a fence post about 100 yards away, and he sat there watching me for about 2 hours, then flew away

i think i must just naturally attract birds :proud:

he just came up to me m8, its not the first time its happened either

i was putting him on the fence bit you can see, and he would fly back over to me, in the end i put him on a fence post about 100 yards away, and he sat there watching me for about 2 hours, then flew away

i think i must just naturally attract birds :proud:

Pmsl,, aye the hairy ones with wings.
Its brilliant to see a wild bird do something like that, that would keep me happy for hours.

Yeah folks!

Winter is here and our native birds are finding food scarce, please go to the pet shop and buy a bag of nuts for our feathered friends!

There's no finer sight on a winters morning than a pair of tits around your nut sack! However, just remember its a bit early in the year to expect a swallow! ;)

:Cheers:

Last edited:
Hope some of you can back me up on this, but if your feeding birds bread, bread on it's own can swell up in the birds stomach making it feel as if it's full when its not, so please put some butter, or even fry the bread in some oil or butter, so that they get some fatty 'goodness' along with the bread this winter.

Just stood looking out the kitchen window saw a blackbird. Dont know what came over me but decided to throw some bread out for the poor thing. Good job the cats in, lazy thing wont venture out in this.
your gererosity will be repayed back to you at some point as the saying goes its nice to be nice..maybe it will stop shi*ing on your windows now:proud:

My Mom tips any cooking oil/ fat/lard thats been used into a empty tin then all the bread crumbs, nuts etc goes in, when the oil hardens you've got those balls of goodies for the birds to took into.
The extra fat is supposed to be good for them plus saves you getting rid of the oil:proud:

Hope some of you can back me up on this, but if your feeding birds bread, bread on it's own can swell up in the birds stomach making it feel as if it's full when its not, so please put some butter, or even fry the bread in some oil or butter, so that they get some fatty 'goodness' along with the bread this winter.
Your are correct m8 feeding birds bread on its own is pointless there is nothing benificial in it whatsoever and will do the birds more harm than good
Home and bargain shops sell bags of bird seed for 99p and 6 fat balls for only 49p and will give the birds the extra fuel they need in this weather.

My Mom tips any cooking oil/ fat/lard thats been used into a empty tin then all the bread crumbs, nuts etc goes in, when the oil hardens you've got those balls of goodies for the birds to took into.
The extra fat is supposed to be good for them plus saves you getting rid of the oil:proud:

How come all this fat is good for the birds yet it clogs our arteries and causes our hearts to stop !!!??!
I out out some chopped fruit & veg to the birds the other day and apart from a couple of robins, nothing else seemed bothered - they must all be getting plenty of food round here !!!!

I out out some chopped fruit & veg to the birds the other day and apart from a couple of robins, nothing else seemed bothered - they must all be getting plenty of food round here !!!!

When I started putting feed out for them there was only 2 or 3 birds visiting, a couple of weeks later and the tree in our back garden is full of small birds, it's hard to count them but theres at least 6 - 8 small birds hanging about.

Yeah folks!

Winter is here and our native birds are finding food scarce, please go to the pet shop and buy a bag of nuts for our feathered friends!

There's no finer sight on a winters morning than a pair of tits around your nut sack! However, just remember its a bit early in the year to expect a swallow! ;)

:Cheers:

Where's the birds.

(aye in a thisltle strip,,moan the jags)

Last edited:
How come all this fat is good for the birds yet it clogs our arteries and causes our hearts to stop !!!??!

cos birds dont sit on their fat arses in front of the telly all day, the drive themselfs to maccyDs for a fat burger

they work off all the fat by using their own body power to get anywhere

How do you work that one out then? :err:
From the link curly posted
Bread

All types of bread are acceptable to birds, but ideally it should only be just one component in a varied diet. Bread does not contain the necessary protein and fats birds need from their diet, and so it can act as an empty filler. Although bread isn't harmful to birds, try not to offer it in large quantities, since its nutritional value is relatively low. A bird that is on a diet of predominantly, or only bread, can suffer from serious vitamin deficiencies, or starve.
Only put out an amount of bread that birds will eat in a day. Food left on the ground overnight can attract rats. Soaked bread is more easily ingested than stale dry bread, and brown bread is better than white. Crumbled bread is suitable in small quantities, but moisten if it is very dry. During the breeding season, crumble the bread into tiny pieces so that it is only eaten by the adult birds. Dry chunks of bread will choke baby birds, and a chick on a diet of bread may not develop into a healthy fledgling.

Last edited:
From the link curly posted
Bread

All types of bread are acceptable to birds, but ideally it should only be just one component in a varied diet. Bread does not contain the necessary protein which fat birds need from their diet, and so it can act as an empty filler. Although bread isn't harmful to birds, try not to offer it in large quantities, since its nutritional value is relatively low. A bird that is on a diet of predominantly, or only bread, can suffer from serious vitamin deficiencies, or starve.
Only put out an amount of bread that birds will eat in a day. Food left on the ground overnight can attract rats. Soaked bread is more easily ingested than stale dry bread, and brown bread is better than white. Crumbled bread is suitable in small quantities, but moisten if it is very dry. During the breeding season, crumble the bread into tiny pieces so that it is only eaten by the adult birds. Dry chunks of bread will choke baby birds, and a chick on a diet of bread may not develop into a healthy fledgling.

Still doesn't explain why you said it was 'pointless and had no benefits' whatsoever.

All that article is saying is like Humans, Birds can not live on bread alone, they, like us, need a balanced diet.

I said feeding birds bread ON ITS OWN is pointless and has no benifets whatsoever
I think you should re read the article again and here is another one for your perusal

"If you do not regularly feed the birds, but during the winter you throw out stale doughnuts/bread and think you are doing good, think otherwise. Junk food and bread may fill up the bird's belly, but it won't provide the necessary protein and fats necessary to keep their little body warm. They'll fill up on the bread and not have room for the high energy foods (seeds, insects) necessary to keep them warm during the cold winter nights. So even if you see the birds devouring the bread, remember that it may cause them to drop dead during the night. Save the stale bread for your meatloaf"
http://www.boaf.com/article_7.htm

Last edited:
I said feeding birds bread ON ITS OWN is pointless and has no benifets whatsoever

I know you did.

And you're wrong.

What's better, a starving bird with bread or a starving bird with no bread?

I know you did.

And you're wrong.

What's better, a starving bird with bread or a starving bird with no bread?

I think what Fergalsworld is trying to get at is if you have seeds, nuts etc then give them to the birds instead of bread but bread scraps are also useful as it will give them some energy but not as much as seeds etc

I think what Fergalsworld is trying to get at is if you have seeds, nuts etc then give them to the birds instead of bread but bread scraps are also useful as it will give them some energy but not as much as seeds etc

Agreed, but to say bread has no nutritional value and is pointless is just wrong, that's my point :)

It's a quiet day, lol

Back