WebSite Designers

X-PAC

DW Member ++
Reaction score
Are there any web designers out there that could help me out a bit with designing my website?
Im looking for decent software to make the site with and good ftp software.
Also what info do i need to give a web site designer? my cpannel password and username?
www.phoneshut.com please feel free to click on the links on this site to some good deals.

Last edited:
If your looking for good FTP software, try CoreFTP, its free, check it out here: http://www.coreftp.com/

If your looking for an easy-to-use website making software try WebPage-Maker, (30 day trial. PM me for a serial;)), check it out here: http://www.webpage-maker.com/

Also, what information you want to give to a webdesigner, depends what sort of website you want to make. If your webdesigner is making you a HTML website, they can just send u the files for you to upload, therfore no need to give your password to anyone. However, if your webdesigner is making you a PHPNuke site (or any other CMS) then they may need your username & pass to upload/edit/maintain your website.

Last edited:
is there anyway of changing the password on cpannel? if u needed to for reasons?
Also thanks for your help looks like its time to get started.

X-PAC said:
is there anyway of changing the password on cpannel? if u needed to for reasons?

If your using CPanel X, then just logon and click on 'Change Password'.

Or do you mean you incase the webdesigner screws you over, you want to be able to access your cpanel?

Nah, sorry, i dont think its possible. You might want to speak to your webhoster and ask them to reset your password if the worst happens.

Last edited:
X-PAC said:
lol, yep thats exactly wat i meant

first off X-PAC i would suggest learning how to do it for yourself to begin with and check out the many tutorials on the net for learning html (basics you could learn in a few hours) and really you could learn a huge amount in 8 - 24 hours with the exceptions of tables as this is the part you mayb struggle with

what are you trying to make a few pages or dynamic contect ???

and never ever give anyone access to your root permissions regardless!!!!

its much better for you to learn howto do this kinda stuff if you are interested in this anyway !!!

Regards
Mickie D

Mickie D said:
first off X-PAC i would suggest learning how to do it for yourself to begin with and check out the many tutorials on the net for learning html (basics you could learn in a few hours) and really you could learn a huge amount in 8 - 24 hours with the exceptions of tables as this is the part you mayb struggle with

Regards
Mickie D

I might have to disagree with this. Nowadays its not essential to learn HTML, or any coding for that matter. With an increasing number of WYSIWYG editors about, it is now easier to produce websites than ever before. The software i suggested earlier up is what i've been using for sumtime now, it's easy to use - no knowledge of HTML needed, and i've produced some good websites. Also, its great for people who might not have the time to learn HTML.

But, you're right in the respect that he should be doing this on his own, and it is always handy to learn HTML, just in case ;).

Last edited:
lol, ok i agree with the both of you firstly it looks like i should do a bit (lot) of reading on designing websites. i may awsell try and learn html and coding as it will help me out some time down the road , even though that software is pretty good. I just have also just learnt that i shud never give out my passwords. lol
Finally thanks for the help from everyone that posted in this thread looks like ive got a lot of reading to do, so i best be off, ill let u know how i get on.
Thankz

trouble with some of these WYSIWYG progs is that they tend to 'bloat' the code with stuff that is not really needed

but they are great to at least get you a start until you can learn html, css etc

Steve said:
trouble with some of these WYSIWYG progs is that they tend to 'bloat' the code with stuff that is not really needed

what do u mean?

ok ive done some reading and am ready to make a html page, but before my site had a notice on it saying that theres nothing on the site but now it says this:

Index of /
Name Last modified Size Description
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parent Directory 19-Dec-2005 23:55 -
cgi-bin/ 17-Dec-2005 19:08 -
images/ 17-Dec-2005 20:17 -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.34 Server at www.#####.com Port 80

:
why does it say this ? it has created diectories,

X-PAC said:
my site had a notice on it saying that theres nothing on the site but now it says this:

Index of /
Name Last modified Size Description
Parent Directory 19-Dec-2005 23:55 -
cgi-bin/ 17-Dec-2005 19:08 -
images/ 17-Dec-2005 20:17 -

Apache/1.3.34 Server at www.#####.com Port 80

:
why does it say this ? it has created diectories,
You need to make a default page and save it as index.htm or index.html and upload it using whatever FTP program you use to the html folder on your web hosters server - that will then be your default homepage for www.yoursite.com. Any problems PM me - i'vedone a fair whack of professional sites for companies using html, asp, php, cgi, flash etc..

The cgi-bin directory is for putting scripts for interactive content (cgi scripts) and the images directory ... well you can guess :) there is nothing to worry about tho these directories are standard.

MA said:
I might have to disagree with this. Nowadays its not essential to learn HTML, or any coding for that matter. With an increasing number of WYSIWYG editors about, it is now easier to produce websites than ever before. The software i suggested earlier up is what i've been using for sumtime now, it's easy to use - no knowledge of HTML needed, and i've produced some good websites. Also, its great for people who might not have the time to learn HTML.

But, you're right in the respect that he should be doing this on his own, and it is always handy to learn HTML, just in case ;).

thats the easy way out... people tend to always jump at these easy ways out

i would not suggest to him to learn html if it was difficult its probably as easya s learning how to use a high defined wysiwyg, and you acomplish alot more watching the site come from text into a content you want and knowing you made it.

dont use editors its a waist of time when you could of taught yourself something that does the same in nearly as much time and feel a small sense of achievement

that was not a pop at you MA but these suggestions are not teaching people anything once you grasp html you can then go onto something like php and who knows you could be the next coder to make a million from small product that does wonders

dont forget DW when you do however ;)

can someone explain to me how to use coreftp software? i dont seem to be able to get them to connect.

X-PAC said:
can someone explain to me how to use coreftp software? i dont seem to be able to get them to connect.

Have a look here: http://coreftp.com/doc/ theres some good information & tuts on how to use it.

Back