Virgin Media Upgrade

well cant wait for 50meg im on 20 meg i do all my dl on news groups and hit 19.65 - 20.70mbps regular no probs dam how quick would 50 meg go wooohooo and as vm dont cap no more or so they say should be no probs i not been capped for ages now cant wait bring dis 50 meg to nottm

How do I go about downloading from newsgroups? Do I use something like Outlook Express to subscribe to them first?

Last edited:
het yourself some free software grabit or altbinz , then subscribe to hitnews £30 for six months then your set to go.

or input your cable provider and download nzb`s for free, possibly your provider, news.virginmedia.com

I like grabit myself ;)

I also sub to NGroups.NET, got on a special for something like £7 per month unlimited. Well apart from when Virming Media limit it! lol

Virgin's free service only indexes files for 7 days and they don't hold many groups at all. It's well worth paying for a proper usenet provider but the free one's are ok to learn with ;)

:)

or input your cable provider and download nzb`s for free, possibly your provider, news.virginmedia.com

i wouldnt risk it not when they are bringing the 3 strike rule in, virgin will know what you are downloading.
if you were thinking of newsgroups better of with hitnews.eu its cheap and got ssl

50mb would be awesome, if it actually WAS 50mb. they struggle for my 4mb lol!

Anyone know what the upload speed is going to be for 50 Mb please say there upping it so my 360 stops lagging out when theres 16 players.

got my 4mb to 10mb they didn't even have a date on the site for my area but a week ago after a modem reboot 10mb - nice!

Anyone know what the upload speed is going to be for 50 Mb please say there upping it so my 360 stops lagging out when theres 16 players.

Most games are written so that very little information is transferred (mostly tends to be less than 15kbit/sec per player) . Even with 16 players I doubt you are maxing out a 750kbit/sec connection.

Your problem is likely to be lag (which probably wont change on 50Mbit/sec) or possibly simply that the box cant actually cope with 16 simultaneous datastreams.

I have 20mb too. do they plan to roll out the 50Mb service as the new high end speed? if so when will they deploy to a wider area?

anyone got 50Mb running yet, i dont mean hacked, i mean on the virgin test areas etc ??? if so can we see the speed test results please ? and have a look at the config file name and tell us if its the same, i would guess its different ?

i've found with VM you don't necessarily get what it says on the tin.

you dont get that with most of them! hopefully when the government get to grips with them they will all have to start being a bit more honest about speeds etc

Back