Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Virgin Media Upgrade

totalgenius

Inactive User
Good News :banana:

Just got a call from virgin media, they'll be upgrading my 20mb connection to 50mb within this week.

thats gr8 news...if my line goes from 20 to 50 meg...this means i may get 12 meg instead of my usual 5 ??
woohoo :Clap:

i take it ur in the test area mate?

now we gotta pray for an influx of 50mb modems and a hack :)

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

but can teh current network take 50mb? it can hardly produce 20mb

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Theoretically the hybrid fiber-coaxial network used by vm can handle seeds up to 1gbps (1000 mega bits per second ), as long as the optical nodes and optical routers arn't overloaded.

Vm would probably use frequency multiplexing and or channel bonding to supply 50mb on current modems rather than upgrade to DOCSIS 3.0 modems ( Theoretical downstrem of +343.04 Mbit/s and upstream of +122.88 Mbit/s).

Last edited:
frequency multiplexing?

so we could get 50mb just like the 20mb rollout last year?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

can you imagine on 50 meg download 4 gig in about 15mins then your capped its pointless its all about the bragging rights with virgin media, they can boast we give out 50 meg no one else does that but in the small print as long as you only download less than 4 gig your ok, and now with the new speed caps that you can guarantee will be rolled out nationally soon you can download as long as its between 10 at night and 10 in the morning.Give me the old days 10meg all day "sorry rant over"

aye and just stick 5 modems together haha

whats the upload on the 50mb package?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

something just doesnt sound right. i thought the technical spec for the 250 was a maximum 38meg at 256 qam? also all the multiple modem experiments only achieve a little over 30meg max. with that modem i find it it hard believe but i would like to be proven wrong - it would liven up the hacking scene :)

As per the call, I would be paying the same after the 50mb upgrade.

No extra charge for 20mb to 50mb upgrade.

They'll be using the same modem (ntl250) to supply 50mb

Dont see how they can as these modems aren't compatible with a 50Mbit/sec stream.

The idea was that the 50Meg system runs on a Docsis3 variant and would require the new multi-tuner modems. Thats certainly how its been running in the test areas.

btw, channel bonding is a Docsis3 thing. Its actually a major selling point of this system over previous Docsis versions which dont have channel bonding. To achieve channel bonding a modem has to have multiple-tuners as each channel runs on a different frequency (they actually use a single tuner module which has a dual fixed offset local osciallator to produce 2 independant data streams which are then merged in the Docsis3 stack).

Last edited:
Back