Virgin Media Upgrade

sorry mate i worded that wrong

meant to say how do folk get a tv package from them if they dnt live in a cabled area?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

pah im still waiting for them to upgrade me from 4mb to 10mb its taking ages for them to roll it out yet if i rang and asked to be upgraded to 20 meg it could be done in a matter of minutes.

That's because you'd have to pay them to upgrade to 20MB ;)

I don't see what's taking them so long for this though as it's hardly a new faster service. All they have to do is edit the 4MB config to 10MB, or roll out a new config for it.....

Unless there network need upgrading to cope with all the new 10MB account's there will be, but if that's the case good luck to anyone who subs to the 50MB!

:)

I hope they give me 50 meg at the moment I'm on a split account. it goes something like this.

20meg - 0meg etcl - 20meg - 0meg etc >>>useless tossers sry I should have put this in the rant section but I suppose 50meg - 0meg - etc is an upgrade ;)

Personally I think the free upgrades are next to useless, as the draconian measures their putting in place to limit your downloads will negate the benefits. It's only supposed to be the top 3% of downloaders that get limited, I dont download that much, prolly at most about a few gig a week, and I get limited all the time.
Virgin also have a less than clear description of what constitutes heavy usage, so it's hard to budget what you use. It also seems at odds with an advertised "Unlimited" service...
Still, they do seem to still offer the best deal, just wish the service was still provided by TW.

yes mate, what that means is the people who are subscribed to virgin/ntl through ordinary phone lines cant get it, you need to be in a cabled area, didnt you know that people can get ntl/virgin internet on thier phone line cables ?

Thats correct, the connection into your house will still be the same co-ax connection as you have now. The only difference is that you will have some new channels containing the new DOCSIS3 datastream. This will be totally seperate from the present DOCSIS modem datastream. 50Meg will, in essance, be a new sub-network within the VM system. There will be no contention with the present lower tier subscribers (at least until UBR level)

As per the call, I would be paying the same after the 50mb upgrade.

No extra charge for 20mb to 50mb upgrade.

They'll be using the same modem (ntl250) to supply 50mb

yes, sure, except 50mbit is docsis3 and those modems are onyl docsis1/2 compliant and max out at 30mbit.

Just get a dual wan router and stick 2 X 20MB modems on it lol, you'll then have 40MB down 1.5MB up lol (Bet 50MB is no where near 1.5MB up)

The upload for 50mbit in the trials were 1.5mbit up, pathetic ratio.

There was talks of 5mbit up as well near the end.

There is also talks of 3 seperate 50mbit tears (1.5 up (standard), 5 up and 10 up)

yes, sure, except 50mbit is docsis3 and those modems are onyl docsis1/2 compliant and max out at 30mbit.

@QAM 256 u can squeeze 42.8mbps out of them, but that's with a good wind behind you and go faster stripes painted on the side.

well cant wait for 50meg im on 20 meg i do all my dl on news groups and hit 19.65 - 20.70mbps regular no probs dam how quick would 50 meg go wooohooo and as vm dont cap no more or so they say should be no probs i not been capped for ages now cant wait bring dis 50 meg to nottm

well cant wait for 50meg im on 20 meg i do all my dl on news groups and hit 19.65 - 20.70mbps regular no probs dam how quick would 50 meg go wooohooo and as vm dont cap no more or so they say should be no probs i not been capped for ages now cant wait bring dis 50 meg to nottm

dont cap no more?!?!?!

lucky bugger!!

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

i not been capped for about 5 months now i rang up because there was nothing in the t&c when i signed up to vm to say there was a limit and all the adverts states unlimited downloads no limits
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/products/227_legal.html
read it
i did then i complained
got me fathering law to look in to legal action
rang vm and threatend them and not been capped since

ooo good thinkin mate

i think more folk will do that now that they have seen u done it, mabye they were scared to before ;)

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

i not been capped for about 5 months now i rang up because there was nothing in the t&c when i signed up to vm to say there was a limit and all the adverts states unlimited downloads no limits
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/products/227_legal.html
read it
i did then i complained
got me fathering law to look in to legal action
rang vm and threatend them and not been capped since

Nice! (What's your MAC addy so I can clone it?) lol ;)

Back