virgin double speed

edogg

Inactive User
Reaction score
On the day virgin notify me they have doubled my speed and if i have a superhub they will give me 30gb for the same price the whole of the virgin network goes down so here i am with my giffgaff OMC usb tethered to my laptop for internet connection

edogg

it happens, just seen a dedicated fibre go offline yesterday......you have to remember there's humans along the line, accidents and power outages, cables getting un-plugged and plugged back in....but once it's up and running though they are great and you'll reap your rewards when you back online.

all our credit/debit card data used to come down one little yellow ethernet cable into work, i seen a cleaner use the mains plug that the "draytek" was plugged into for a hoover once, little did the customer know at the other end when trying to process a credit/debit card and they kept failing that some cleaner in a cupboard some where had brought the whole lot down around their ears by un-plugging the router for a "quick blast of hoover around the cabinets"

we have a UPS that lasts 10 minutes, used to take atleast 20 minutes to bring the old AS400 down in a controlled state.

There''ll be some one some where telling the same story today about how they "un-plugged" something today and brought the network down some where within virmin!...lol

Think back in the day when "freeserve" was up, dialling in with an old 56k robotics.......

Last edited:
im still waiting for mine to be doubled, well technically tripled as im on 20mb at the moment and its going upto 60mb so cant complain, says from july onwards for me but realistically when will this be, anybody know

virmin says that my upgrade is going to happen between october 2012 and july 2013 ....

so it could be another year for me :(

but im happy with 30meg tbh so im not complaining ;)

virmin says that my upgrade is going to happen between october 2012 and july 2013 ....

thats strange tho . if u have 30 u have the later router u would think u can up your speed , they must have a plan

thats strange tho . if u have 30 u have the later router u would think u can up your speed , they must have a plan

you would of thought so wouldnt you ...

but maybe its the network that needs upgrading .. who knows mate...

I get speed increase this month but they dont say when, cant wait as im getting top speeds already so will see how much that extra 20Mb/s will make.

We are supposed to an upgrade this month to, I am still on 5 meg

We are supposed to an upgrade this month to, I am still on 5 meg

Are you in a cable area or getting adsl? 5meg hasn't been in a cable area for a long time. And adsl won't be getting doubled as far as I have read.

Are you in contract with them? if your not and your paying the same price as new customers that are getting 60MB then that's a bit out of order in my opinion

Are you in contract with them? if your not and your paying the same price as new customers that are getting 60MB then that's a bit out of order in my opinion

yes you are right mate .... im going to phone them up soon i think ;)

been on double for about a month now, but very rare I get a full 7.5MBs download speed from newsgroups, could be due to the superhubs less than stellar wifi.

been on double for about a month now, but very rare I get a full 7.5MBs download speed from newsgroups, could be due to the superhubs less than stellar wifi.

or it could be your wifi card, i had to upgrade my wifi card to get the full 30 meg speed.

??, 7.5MBs is the max you can get

all depending on you card... the max i could get from my old card was about 17MBs.

do a speed test on speedtest.net just to make sure.. if its the same as d/l from newsgroups then you know its your wifi card......

all depending on you card... the max i could get from my old card was about 17MBs.

do a speed test on speedtest.net just to make sure.. if its the same as d/l from newsgroups then you know its your wifi card......

sure you aint getting your bits n bytes mixed up because 17MBs would mean a connection of 136Mb :Drool:

sure you aint getting your bits n bytes mixed up because 17MBs would mean a connection of 136Mb :Drool:

yep i probably am mate :Laugh:

i blame it on the cider and having to get up early to come to work :proud:

keep checking your account with them , cos i did yesterday and it said i was on 100 meg , the thing is i have had no letter or e mail to say i am so dont rely on that... lol

i had a look on my virgin yesterday and all i could see was that i was on xl broadband, what speed should this be, not sure its been upgraded or not when i dont know what speed xl broadband is, and im using an old modem that i think can only handle 20mb, which is what im getting so no way of telling really, i have a superhub here which iv had for a while but never actually activated because of the bad things said about it!

Attachments

• broadband xl.PNG
    0 bytes · Views: 7
i had a look on my virgin yesterday and all i could see was that i was on xl broadband, what speed should this be, not sure its been upgraded or not when i dont know what speed xl broadband is, and im using an old modem that i think can only handle 20mb, which is what im getting so no way of telling really, i have a superhub here which iv had for a while but never actually activated because of the bad things said about it!

xl is 60meg but only when your area has been upgraded. if you activate your super hub you will have 30meg at least. it all depends when the upgrade has hit your patch.

Back