Update on arrest in west yorkshire on illegal boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dudes I work in a bank, the fraud department get no help from the police on £10000 credit card frraudsters even when they have a name and adress. There is no way they will pursue dodgy box users. This would demand so much resorse and paper work that they would have to double the size of the national force. This is scaremungering claptrap!

You can be sure that Rupert Murdoch will be applying pressure to Virgin, to tighten up the security (as have Sky with their military style encryption) - anyone hacked Sky yet ? NO.
People should pay a minimum package at least. People who have cable should be thankful, we have the fastest Broadband available, we can circumvent the technology and watch a few extra channels.

sky hacked - erm yes

but thats not the issue here. no pm's on this as they will be ignored. if you look deep enough maybe you will find

vm would not pay police to attend with their agents and the police would not have the time nor resourses to do it anyway . besides local goverment pay the police force not a commercial company.
without doubt vm are trying all they can to stop free services but not in this way.

Just my 2p`s worth....Take for instance a cloned modem, What if this internet link was used for illigal activities, ie Terrorism, Credit card fraud, Hacking etc....... what if the police were investigating a terrorist lead..... information being sent regarding a bomb plot or something????... they trace it to virgin (the isp) Who will or should have detailed name and address`s of the user.... the police investigate the user and find out its not them there looking for? I`m pretty sure they would get on Virgins case to sort their house out?........who knows how many times the police have come to a dead end because of a cloned modem?

Could this be identity fraud???? as you are actually protraying some one else...so the reasons are there for the police to investigate.

Its like being sat on a huge network doing whatever you like and your invisiable

So its not just free internet it could be worked in a much darker way!

But that just spoofs you NIC card does it not?? and not your legit modem, if you spoofed your legit modem you are in fact running a clone because you need a cloned mac in order to get live on the network other wise it would not work?

Just to bring you folks upto date on the arrests in Batley West Yorkshire over the use of illegal boxes.A police officer friend of mine who has been involved in these raids informs me that they are targetting people using these boxes who DONT PAY ANYTHING to Virgin.

They have information via Virgin who use these equipments ( he wouldnt tell me more as to how they detect the signal).Virgin obtain warrants from the courts prior to going around the house with a police officer.

Once at the door of the house, the warrant is shown to search the property for the illegal use of equipment to recieve free cable. They cannot be refused to enter the property, because if they are, then the householder is arrested under a different charge.

The householder is arrested, questioned and charged by the police. All the equipment is removed and the cable connection outside the house is permantly disconnected and the householder will never be allowed to a virgin account.

My pc friend informs me that that they have over 400 being targetted in Batley and neighbouring Dewsbury alone. Once they have done this, they will move to Huddersfield.He did say they are only targetting people who dont subscribe to any of Virgin services but are recieving Tv and broadband for nought.

So be aware folks, if you get a knock on the door, there is no getting away . These are true facts folk, I am not joking about it

iv heard this story a thousand times and its all a load of tripe,1stly if they need a warrent for your house but you dont subscribe how will they no your name and address? will police knock on and say ok wait here il be back in 20 with a warrent in which time you take ur box out the house? it would cost vm way to much to persu this matter by means of police let alone the man hours of the old bill? why do you think virgin uses key rolls,to stop doggy boxes plus people who buy from trader and have no idea how to reprogram the card,iv used my box and modem for 5 years now and never had a knock on the door,plus if you are right ud prob just get a slap on the wrist and a £200 fine,do you remember that guy in newcastle who got court with 500 doddgy boxes he only got a £5000 fine dont take my comment offensivly as i respect ur views but i dont agree.

think this thread prob needs to end with,

atleast pay for something cause we dont want another on-d**ital, and if that takes a little scare mongering then so be it.

Just my 2p`s worth....Take for instance a cloned modem, What if this internet link was used for illigal activities, ie Terrorism, Credit card fraud, Hacking etc....... what if the police were investigating a terrorist lead..... information being sent regarding a bomb plot or something????... they trace it to virgin (the isp) Who will or should have detailed name and address`s of the user.... the police investigate the user and find out its not them there looking for? I`m pretty sure they would get on Virgins case to sort their house out?........who knows how many times the police have come to a dead end because of a cloned modem?

Could this be identity fraud???? as you are actually protraying some one else...so the reasons are there for the police to investigate.

Its like being sat on a huge network doing whatever you like and your invisiable

So its not just free internet it could be worked in a much darker way!

Hi may be off topic a bit but i have been reading about Virgin clamping down on illegal Downloads and this new 3 strikes and your out rule they are gonna implement .2 warnings and cut off services
So how would that work with clonned Modems will be interesting how they tackle that issue

""The ISP is working with music industry body the BPI on a pilot scheme targeting illegal downloaders. The trial, which marks the first time a British internet company has clamped down on illegal file sharers, will be in full swing within a couple of months and complies with the government's proposed legislation for a 'three-strikes and you're out' rule. Offenders will be issued with a warning letter, followed by an internet suspension if they don't comply. If they ignore the warning and continue illegal downloading, their access will be completely disconnected.""

Last edited:
atleast pay for something cause we dont want another on-d**ital, and if that takes a little scare mongering then so be it.

Thats a very good point about the old on digi. No one paid for there services and we all know what happened to that tv provider.

maybe they have a done a deal with the government, like "we'll take on your 3 strikes and out rule that you want so bad but you will have to help us clamp down on cloned modems first" or something along them lines.
Thats pure speculation by the way.

I agree, paying something is better, I have V+ XL package as well, its great, as well as a 20 meg bb connection and phone, so I do pay my way, I just happen to have a starview in my bedroom, no big deal :)

Hi may be off topic a bit but i have been reading about Virgin clamping down on illegal Downloads and this new 3 strikes and your out rule they are gonna implement .2 warnings and cut off services
So how would that work with clonned Modems will be interesting how they tackle that issue

""The ISP is working with music industry body the BPI on a pilot scheme targeting illegal downloaders. The trial, which marks the first time a British internet company has clamped down on illegal file sharers, will be in full swing within a couple of months and complies with the government's proposed legislation for a 'three-strikes and you're out' rule. Offenders will be issued with a warning letter, followed by an internet suspension if they don't comply. If they ignore the warning and continue illegal downloading, their access will be completely disconnected.""

would that apply to newsgroups?

iv heard this story a thousand times and its all a load of tripe,1stly if they need a warrent for your house but you dont subscribe how will they no your name and address? will police knock on and say ok wait here il be back in 20 with a warrent in which time you take ur box out the house? it would cost vm way to much to persu this matter by means of police let alone the man hours of the old bill? why do you think virgin uses key rolls,to stop doggy boxes plus people who buy from trader and have no idea how to reprogram the card,iv used my box and modem for 5 years now and never had a knock on the door,plus if you are right ud prob just get a slap on the wrist and a £200 fine,do you remember that guy in newcastle who got court with 500 doddgy boxes he only got a £5000 fine dont take my comment offensivly as i respect ur views but i dont agree.

You are probally right mate. Stories like this have been around, and just because you havent got caught (yet) doesnt mean others havent as well.Reading some of the comments here , a number of people have been arrested throughout the UK ( some traders/individuals etc)for having and selling boxes etc.I spoke to my fiend over weekend and he informs me that beside going after traders, they are after individuals to. He says this excercise has been planned a few weeks ago. They have collated all the info and evidence together well before they carried out these raids. As regards your queury about how do Virgin knows people name and address, well that pretty obvious if you think about.Any body recieving these freebies must have been with Virgin/Telewest etc before suddenly cancelling all their subs, knowing that the signal to their house was still active. They then buy these boxes, plug them and presto you get everything for free.

What my friend wont tell even me is how do Virgin detect whether a person has these boxes/modems plugged in thier houses.They know the names of the householders(ex subscribers), but he wont tell me how they detect that you are using these boxes.He says they are only targetting people that dont pay anything at all and not those who are paying something.

I think most people here will agree that they dont have any sympathy for those that get caught doing this, and I agree with suggestion posted here who say at least pay something, rather than nothing at all, otherwise I can see VM going the same way as OnDigi, and then we will have sod all to watch, because I can see anyone hacking into Sky.

Hi guys

not to sure how they detect it but it makes perfect sense, as when people have modem or talk back box the peice of equipment is transmitting data so if engineer sits at the cab he plugs in his equipment, n gets the info for the block and can easily find (like previously said house 69) is not supposed have cable but funnily enough has data streaming in n out.

but i can definately confirm that they can enter your house as a couple of year ago 2 blocks down from my house n*l engineers turned up with the police as there was a trader living there, modding cards n boxes to this day dont knw if they detected a signal or some one dimmed him, as i remember peoples cards were dropping like flies n he was charging them 20 a pop, you should have seen it ,it was hilarious every one running in hiding/unplugging there equipment!

but i agree i am on basic pack with 2mb broad, so i think as long as you have that would be very difficult to detect if you are using other equipment, n detecting signal loss due to another b*x would be difficult as well as the drop could be due to cabbling faults kinks mice etc n especially if you dont have the talk back u should be fine.

my 2 pence

regards

Newsgoups

would that apply to newsgroups?

I use giganews with SSL, they can see how much you download but have no ideal what it is, you can say you have a direct link with your office etc, make up what you want, you can even say you have an xbox360/ps3 etc and constantly try out their demos, some of these are now over a gig a time, but I downloaded over 200 gig the other day in just over 2 days, so thats a bit hard to explain, but to be honest, i pay for 20 meg connection, what the hell do they think im doing with it, talking on msn all day lol I have 5 pc's running in my house, 2 in the kids bedrooms, one has a ps3 the other a 360, both connected online, 1 in main living room, 24 hr downloading and 2 laptops, mine and g/f's, if i only had 2 or 4 ( now upto 10 in most areas) I would struggle if we all hit it with different programs downloads, so 20 meg is good for me even without using my newsgroups.

I pay an extra 3 quid a month with giganews for SSL, its worth it.

Regards

would a judge sign a search warrant for an individual house, VM must provide so much evidence to do so.. also shouldnt the Police time be spent to catch the rapist and peudo's roaming our streets.

I agree, but thats too much hard work, they aint gonna go after drugs/rapists etc when they can just point a speed camera van at you and collect 60 quid, they are a bunch of wimps, I remember calling them once as I thought I saw someone breaking into a house across the road from me, what do they do, switch their sirens on about 2 miles away, talk about not wanting any confrontation, the kids ran when the heard that, so when they arrived they just took down details. They dont like the hassle end of, and just go after easy pickings, motorists etc :)

To be honest I don't believe a word of it. I don't want to upset anyone but I take this kind of thing with a pinch of salt. I've been using cable forums for years and every now & then somebody pops up with these.

Curiously its always "my mate" who's usually either a copper of an engineer. The copper in question here would be well advised to be re-read the official secrets act that he should have signed when he joined up.

Traders at computer fairs are another matter. They flaunt it and deserve all they get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back