Tv Licence

Do you have a TV licence??

• Yes, its worth it i watch eastenders allot..

Votes: 27 38.0%
  • No, It's a con...

Votes: 42 59.2%
  • I donate the money to DW..

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • I think its ageism as old people get it free..

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Eire
Namibia
South Africa
Mauritius
Ghana

Now I think you already know the official language in Eire is Irish Gaelic which explains the need for a TV Licence (hardly anyone speaks it)

Namibia is a multilingual country hence the need for it again ;)

South Africa again has loads of languages so again broadcasters would struggle without it

Mauritius: official language and the language taught at school is English while the french language dominates the public life

Ghana has over 100 languages

Now we can get back to good old blighty where we have English, now are you starting to see the picture ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are the ones that list English as their official language.

As English is the currently the most widely known language on the planet (largely thanks to the internet) I wasn't going to go through the whole of the CIA world factbook...

Those are the ones that list English as their official language.

As English is the currently the most widely known language on the planet (largely thanks to the internet) I wasn't going to go through the whole of the CIA world factbook...

But you agree that Eire has it's own offical langauge which is hardly spoken so hence the tv licence ?

You also agree that the other countries you've mentioned have lots of other languages while Britain has English yes ?

Irish is the first official language of Eire. But still lists English as an official language.

Here is an hypothetical question for you: There are several native and ancient languages in the UK that aren't widely known, e.g. Cornish, Gaelic etc. Are you saying that if these where catered for you wouldn't have cause to argue against the TV licence?

These people are thick..

We have the thing set up on direct debit.. money goes out every month.. fine..

Tv Licencing have sent 3 letters over the last 2 months saying the direct debit has been rejected.. No money in account... I beg to differ on that one. we checked online every month and the money has been going out.. so we thought it was and error..

Got another letter saying it was rejected again and that they have cancelled the direct debit.. and as a result the tv licence will expire in April..

So where the fck as my money gone?? 3 x £25...

Ive added a poll on who pays and doesnt.. please vote as i would like to see if ppl pay or not and how they avoid as i think we shouldnt pay as i pay £46 pm for sly... and can live without bbc1/2
problem is the licence isnt for bbc 1.2.3.4

it is a tv receiveing licence

back in the early 90's
if u just had satellite u could get away with no licence but the evn closed that loop hole

but i pay by DD

The TV Licence was invented to fund the BBC and before that it was the radio licence which again funded the BBC

Irish is the first official language of Eire. But still lists English as an official language.

Sorry but I've never seen English listed as their official language so can you post me a link to a place that does ?

Here is an hypothetical question for you: There are several native and ancient languages in the UK that aren't widely known, e.g. Cornish, Gaelic etc. Are you saying that if these where catered for you wouldn't have cause to argue against the TV licence?

The Official language in Britain is English ;) & the answer to your question is hell no. Essential public services no problem but peoples entertainment yea right lol

Sorry but I've never seen English listed as their official language so can you post me a link to a place that does ?
Knowing how much you hate wikipedia ;) I'll link to the aforementioned CIA world factbook: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ei.html (You'll have to scroll down to language about one third of the way down the page.

The Official language in Britain is English ;) & the answer to your question is hell no. Essential public services no problem but peoples entertainment yea right lol
Actually, the official languages of Great Britain are English, the Scottish form of Gaelic and Welsh...

Knowing how much you hate wikipedia ;) I'll link to the aforementioned CIA world factbook: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ei.html (You'll have to scroll down to language about one third of the way down the page.

Do you really think the FBI was a good source lol Here try this,

Irish becomes the 23rd official language of EU
By David McKittrick, Ireland Correspondent
Published: 03 January 2007

The Irish language has been given official status in Europe, taking its place as the 23rd language of the European Union. The move yesterday received curiously little attention in the Republic of Ireland, given that the language has at times been regarded as a semi-mystical part of the national identity.

http://news.independent.co.uk/europe/article2121668.ece

Actually, the official languages of Great Britain are English, the Scottish form of Gaelic and Welsh...

No Scotland has it's own as do the Welsh but Britain has English as the main langauge

isnt this suposed to be about the tv licence

obtw eire isnt greatbritain its eire

obtw eire isnt greatbritain its eire

I was just trying to get into why some countries say they need a licence. I believe we ourselves at one point needed one when we only had 3/4 channels but now........err no lol

Do you really think the FBI was a good source lol Here try this,

http://news.independent.co.uk/europe/article2121668.ece
That is just the official recognition of Irish as the member state's official language by the EU.

As for the source, it proves my point so you dismiss it?! Here is another source: http://europa.eu/abc/european_countries/eu_members/ireland/index_en.htm

No Scotland has it's own as do the Welsh but Britain has English as the main langauge
No the official language of England is English. The official languages of Great Britain, which encompasses the nations of England, Wales and Scotland, are English, Welsh and Gaelic. All 3 languages have equal status.

It is but its turning into quite the history/geography lesson... :)

That is just the official recognition of Irish as the member state's official language by the EU.

little_pob its to accept the Irish language now trust me the Irish have not claimed English as their own language lol

No the official language of England is English. The official languages of Great Britain, which encompasses the nations of England, Wales and Scotland, are English, Welsh and Gaelic. All 3 languages have equal status.

It is but its turning into quite the history/geography lesson... :)

No the individual countries have their own languages yes but the British Union has the most widely spoken language of English as the official one. I'm sure you do know the difference between the individual countries and the union don't you ?

Anyway perhaps we should get back to the main issue here now hey

little_pob its to accept the Irish language now trust me the Irish have not claimed English as their own language lol
Never said they had. But that doesn't alter the fact that English is an official language of Ireland. I've provided 2 independent sources, both governmental bodies, stating that Ireland lists English as an official language (that's an official language not the official language). You've posted news article which states that in 2007 the EU has recognised Irish as the 23rd official language of the European Union.

No the individual countries have their own languages yes but the British Union has the most widely spoken language of English as the official one. I'm sure you do know the difference between the individual countries and the union don't you ?
The official language of the United Kingdom and Northern Island is English, but you said Britain.

Britain is a contraction of Great Britain, which is the nations of England, Scotland and Wales only. There is no legal preference for any of the native languages to be used hence they are all equal.

Anyway perhaps we should get back to the main issue here now hey
I wasn't the one who dragged it off topic to start with (I actually forget who was).

But we do seem to just be baiting each other now....

Last edited:
its gone from great britain to britain cos the PC muppets and other do gooders made sure there was nothing great left behind with surgical precision

Never said they had. But that doesn't alter the fact that English is an official language of Ireland.

little_pob if you wish to believe that fine I'm not arguing the EU and Ireland itself is wrong and you are right

But we do seem to just be baiting each other now....

I've seen a lot of baiting going on and it's tended to be people who don't like this subject because they feel threatened and I don't mean you. I've seen it a thousand times before it's an old trick they use to get things closed but hopefully the mods will cotton on to them

What puzzles me is that if your blind you still have to pay ?? but only with a small discount

What puzzles me is that if your blind you still have to pay ?? but only with a small discount

Yep and only 70,000 people in the UK know sign language (according to ofcom) yet more and more signed programmes are appearing which annoys the hell out of me when we already have subtitles. I know this will upset a few people but according to Ofcom their supposed to be rethinking this now because so few people actually watch programmes when half the screen is used up for something else & odds are that includes the deaf it's meant for

i pay for it now, didnt used to but the lady wanted to get one... as its against the law :) as is the two dboxes hooked up and the mass amount of copied copyrighted material on the computer..... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back