[Tutorial] New way to do 250s

have you got it connected right? the leads are not all the same mines a wayneboy one and i know that the colours on that are different from the tmc one. one mine it connects to the pins from the back (last pin) black(furtherest back)then green,red,yellow.
mine.

vcc = red
gnd = black
rxd = yellow
txd = green.

tmc one is different

vcc = blue
gnd = black
rxd = yellow
txd = red

so yours on the modem should be from the back pin
black,red,blue,yellow if ive converted how mine goes on right.

as you look at it (dots are your pins) . . . . . <--------back pin

double check you have it on the right way round and if it still doesnt work i cant help you no more.

Last edited by a moderator:
i guys i have tried this tut and not been successful so i don't no what to do now
can you point me in the right direction

Do we need to change the default user name and password with this?

This doesnt work for me...

Its doing the exaxt same as the Infinite.. It connects gets ip and lasts for 2 mins.... when i force config it doesnt even get an ip at all.. tftp server is correct as i checked it with DHCP Force...

Worth a try...

This doesnt work for me...
Its doing the exaxt same as the Infinite.. It connects gets ip and lasts for 2 mins.... when i force config it doesnt even get an ip at all.. tftp server is correct as i checked it with DHCP Force...
Worth a try...

ok i was getting same problem as you all day it was doing my head in
i noticed i was using the old ambit tool but with i went to the new one it let me force the config file hope this helps it fixed me

i noticed i was using the old ambit tool but with i went to the new one it let me force the config file hope this helps it fixed me

ill have a good let you know how i get on.

Which ambit tool are you using?? link???

I just tried latest in download section.. doesnt even connect..

Then again ive never used before lol..

yeh mate FF is max for a single byte, the next hex value would be 100
thats see how many are confused now lol

Yay I got it right :)

Thought with the way you asked the question it was a trick...lol Had me thinking as not done any hex for years!

Better get some more brain training done! LOL

:)

Well there you go, if you have actually done this properly you wont be able to use the ambit config tool to change the settings, you will have to use them manually in hyperterminal.
Which leads me to believe your not doing it right.
Your saying it does the same as infinite, your probably trying to apply the mod to the infinite, which at the moment isnt possible. When you should be applying the mod to an unmodified modem with defauly vm firmware. Don't slate something until your sure youve done it correctly.

Last edited:
hi guys i flash my modem and at the end were you write this in
Type cd \ press enter
Type cd n press enter
Type wri press enter
Type cd \ press enter
Type res press enter

it reboot it self and came up with this
Enter '1', '2', or 'p' within 2 seconds or take default...
have i done it or not

hi guys i flash my modem and at the end were you write this in
Type cd \ press enter
Type cd n press enter
Type wri press enter
Type cd \ press enter
Type res press enter
it reboot it self and came up with this
Enter '1', '2', or 'p' within 2 seconds or take default...
have i done it or not

should be fine mate set ur nic card back to normal reboot modem and pc if u want and give it a try.
make sure u do the 192 thing to make sure mac has changed and serail and mac r the same.

godd luck mate

should be fine mate set ur nic card back to normal reboot modem and pc if u want and give it a try.
make sure u do the 192 thing to make sure mac has changed and serail and mac r the same.
godd luck mate
sorry what the 192 thing m8

Well there you go, if you have actually done this properly you wont be able to use the ambit config tool to change the settings, you will have to use them manually in hyperterminal.
Which leads me to believe your not doing it right.
Your saying it does the same as infinite, your probably trying to apply the mod to the infinite, which at the moment isnt possible. When you should be applying the mod to an unmodified modem with defauly vm firmware. Don't slate something until your sure youve done it correctly.

I am not stupid, ive done it by the book.. the modem did have infinite on but ive reflashed it to origional...

And just out of curiosity have you tried a "virgin" modem, and i dont mean to say virgin branded i mean, unflashed/unmodded. How did you reflash it to original. And what original firmware did you use, and have you checked your tftp hasnt changed, and have you tried a recent mac?

have you got it connected right? the leads are not all the same mines a wayneboy one and i know that the colours on that are different from the tmc one. one mine it connects to the pins from the back (last pin) black(furtherest back)then green,red,yellow.
mine.
vcc = red
gnd = black
rxd = yellow
txd = green.
tmc one is different
vcc = blue
gnd = black
rxd = yellow
txd = red
so yours on the modem should be from the back pin
black,red,blue,yellow if ive converted how mine goes on right.
as you look at it (dots are your pins) . . . . . <--------back pin
double check you have it on the right way round and if it still doesnt work i cant help you no more.
good info there yes its connected right, thanks for your help getting a replacement max232 soon from tmc hopefully my troubles will be sorted.
Is that all the hardware I need max232 cable and the modem right?

Last edited:
good info there yes its connected right, thanks for your help getting a replacement max232 soon from tmc hopefully my troubles will be sorted.
Is that all the hardware I need max232 cable and the modem right?

yep thats all you need hardware wise along with your pc lol.

also I have to take off the silver nuts on my max232 cable so it fits in a com port 1/2 is this right?

also I have to take off the silver nuts on my max232 cable so it fits in a com port 1/2 is this right?

you mean the nuts where the screws normal go to tighten the max to the pc? i had to remove mine so it fit that wont affect how it works so its ok.

I’m sorry if this has been covered in the earlier posts .
This worked a treat for me , but after between 1 min to 5 min things started to drop .
Modem lost the link and even using the command “ipconfig /renew” I wasn’t getting a new IP .

It was a post in another thread from a good member that made the penny finaly drop to what I did wrong . or what was missed out .

You see my modem DS Frequency was set to 330750000 and channel 2
What it should have been it 3310000000 and chanel 3

How did I change it ?

Simple .
One the modem has booted with the SB5100e image , I pointed my browser to http://192.168.100.1 and then the configuration page . “It’s the default Surfboard Pages”

Changed it there and selected reset modem .

Hey presto !!!!

Now 100%

Again sorry if this has been covered

Cheers

Icon

And just out of curiosity have you tried a "virgin" modem, and i dont mean to say virgin branded i mean, unflashed/unmodded. How did you reflash it to original. And what original firmware did you use, and have you checked your tftp hasnt changed, and have you tried a recent mac?

Ive tried it on a Reflashed modem.. Origionaly had Infinite on.. Lifted chip repgrammed with Willem.. Tftp server hasnt changed... Modem goes online for 10 mins and shows the TFtp server... 62.192.254.21... Not forcing mac as that seems to not allow it online at all.. get 86.121.XXX.X ip which normaly it is 82.....

As i say the mac works but goes offline... yes its recent...

Back