[Tutorial] New way to do 250s

Right just got hold of someone willing to sell me an untouched 250 and lives locally which I am going to sort out for my m8.

Told him I'll collect it tomorrow.

Re-read through all this thread and I'm a little confused now...lol (I get confused so easily )

Here's what I believe, this hack still works if you set your correct downstream frequency, disable BPI and don't force it to 20MB config?

Just wanted to double check before I pay for the modem and it not be any use to him?

Also can we change the login details using this hack to prevent any future bricking of the modem, or are we best leaving them default? And what's the 192.168.100.1 login for origional FW?

:)

P.S. Sorry for all the questions.....

yes to most of them
root:root for login
youre choice whether you force config or not

personally i'm on the fence until we know the full implications of vms new measures, i think doing them for mates may give you more trouble than its worth - mind you i'm going to test another way to do them later :)

Hi Adam,

Please can you clear a few things up here.

First off thanks for the work, done well. Pat on the back :)

Secondly i have Managed to get my sisters modem back online tonight.. stayed on the duration.. gonna check it tommoro.

Anyway question

What is the idea of this image in respect of how it works etc? is it ment to be identical to a subbed modem??

Forcing macs, is this worth even trying?? whats your thoughts??

Lastly, i know this new method will get found out by VM.. and they will put forward measures to stop this method..

Would it be wise to set like a telnet pw as to stop vm doing a simalar hit as they did 2 weeks ago??

Or would this make the modem look diferent to a subbed????

AFAIK there is no telnet on a subbed modem so you should be ok there but if they did try and it was different then it could give you away.

Forcing MAC's is done at your own risk as VM was/will be targeting the 20MB configs first. Personally I would force a 250 config of some sort onto the modem to make it look more legit as not many peeps have a 250 MAC to put onto the modem, UNLESS, your in an area that has been upgraded to dynamic configs.

The image adam uses is just to change the necessary settings to get online, it is actually FW for a Motorola SurfBoard 5100E, the image you use at the end of the process is the origional Virgin FW on the modem.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Added more info above.

Last edited:
AFAIK there is no telnet on a subbed modem so you should be ok there but if they did try and it was different then it could give you away.
Forcing MAC's is done at your own risk as VM was/will be targeting the 20MB configs first. Personally I would force a 250 config of some sort onto the modem to make it look more legit as not many peeps have a 250 MAC to put onto the modem.
The image adam uses is just to change the necessary settings to get online, it is actually FW for a Motorola SurfBoard 5100E, the image you use at the end of the process is the origional Virgin FW on the modem.
Hope this helps.

Cheers mate.

It seems when i force any config it wont stay online.. i have it set now and it works lol..

Cheers again :)

Just come to me now, if your in an area with dynamic configs then forcing anything won't work.

Will update post ;)

Glad your up and running.

hi, i am going to have a go at this today with a new 255 but when i get to step 4 it says Type mac addrss 1 (Followed by your good mac, whats the first one can it be anything.
Type mac 2 (Followed by your good mac, again what this one got to be.
And whats the usb mac got to be.
Thanks

hi guys one quick question

when you dont want to force any config how do you do this?

in hyperterm where you get to the line below

type desired config ie 'cmreg-ntlhm250-bund03.cm

or must i enter the correct config file for the mac i want to use or leave it blank and press enter??

also if im not wanting to force config do i just not type this line

type enable force_cfgfile true (assuming you want to) (enter)

thx i think i no the answers but confirmation will put my mind at rest lol

thx in advance

hi guys one quick question
when you dont want to force any config how do you do this?
in hyperterm where you get to the line below
type desired config ie 'cmreg-ntlhm250-bund03.cm
or must i enter the correct config file for the mac i want to use or leave it blank and press enter??
also if im not wanting to force config do i just not type this line
type enable force_cfgfile true (assuming you want to) (enter)
thx i think i no the answers but confirmation will put my mind at rest lol
thx in advance

cd cm
scan_s
cd \
cd n\h
mac_address 1 00:00:00:00:00:00 <----- Working MAC
mac_address 2 00:00:00:00:00:01 <----- Working MAC +1
usb_mac 00:00:00:00:00:01 <----- Working MAC +1
cd \
cd n\snmp
docsDevSerialNumber 000000000000 <----- Working MAC no':'
cd \
cd n\d
enable bpi false
dhcp_settings

Hit enter 3 times, it should say 'Those are the only 3 that really need to be changed.

Do you want to change the other settings? [no]' type yes (enter)
000.000.000.000 <----- Enter your TFTP IP
press enter 3 times
cd \
cd n
wri
cd \
res

Anyway..

Just an update left the modem on all last night.. tried again this morning.... come this afternoon.. DEAD.. no longer online :(

i doubt im the only one with this problem :(

cd cm
scan_s
cd \
cd n\h
mac_address 1 00:00:00:00:00:00 <----- Working MAC
mac_address 2 00:00:00:00:00:01 <----- Working MAC +1
usb_mac 00:00:00:00:00:01 <----- Working MAC +1
cd \
cd n\snmp
docsDevSerialNumber 000000000000 <----- Working MAC no':'
cd \
cd n\d
enable bpi false
dhcp_settings
Hit enter 3 times, it should say 'Those are the only 3 that really need to be changed.
press enter 3 times
cd \
cd n
wri
cd \
res

great thanks mate and that will just keep it too the macs config??

you dont need to do any of this:
dhcp_settings
press enter 3 times

just skip that and carry on

you dont need to do any of this:
dhcp_settings
press enter 3 times

just skip that and carry on

Mmmm. I couldn't get mine to go on without manually entering the TFTP IP. And that's just gone off....lol

Every MAC I try only allows me to view one webpage then goes into super slow mode like the Infinity's... Any ideas what's going wrong?

I must re-iterate mine is still running perfect hasnt gone off once.

Can i just say..

Ive been out today and scanned a few wireless networks.. got in 1.. got the mac.. 250 modem.. :) anyway put the mac on mine and its working fine..

I wonder if theyre blocking the use of say 120 macs being used on a 250..

How did you get your MAC's?
Solsters scanner, Hideki's Amchobit, DHCP, trading?
the mac i have working was scanned using coaxthief at my uncles address
as to guarantee its on a different ubr segment, and the registered mac itself tallys to a cmreg-ntlhm120-mid.cm config file, but i have forced it to 20mb, its been flying ever since adam created the new firmware.

Can i just say..
Ive been out today and scanned a few wireless networks.. got in 1.. got the mac.. 250 modem.. :) anyway put the mac on mine and its working fine..
I wonder if theyre blocking the use of say 120 macs being used on a 250..

So two answer two posts in one. That theory is proven incorrect as its exactly what I am doing.

Has anyone tried flashing infinite after using the new way?

When i try to connect using hyperterm I don't get the P option it just boots up as normal and then goes onto say console is disabled. I have checked my connections etc and they are all working fine.

I've tried to use soft-jtag to flash the bootloader but both versions just crash ( I have installed .net and J++). The modem works fine forced 20meg... but now I'm stuck because I can't change the mac anymore nor can I flash back to infinite!

Can someone shed some light?

Last edited:
Back