[Tutorial] New way to do 250s

You'll need to restore the bootloader first m8 ;)

Checkout my guide in the sticky's on how to restore back to origional FW. You'll need to just do Step 1.

:)

You'll need to restore the bootloader first m8 ;)

Checkout my guide in the sticky's on how to restore back to origional FW. You'll need to just do Step 1.

I don't get the option to press 'p' it instantly loads the firmware and starts working.

That's right, if one SOFTJtag doesn't work try the other. If that doesn't work I'm afraid you may have the latest FW which mean's you'll have to lift the chip and re-flash it with a willem programmer or similar.

You'll probably need the .net framework installing and VJ if SOFTJtag is crashing.

Can't remember which .net you'll need so just install the lot ;)

Microsoft .NET 1.1

Microsoft .NET 2.0

Microsoft VJ 2.0

I think my modem has been upgraded to the latest version :/

Is there any protection from remote upgrades using this method?

Edit:
Odd thing is that its still using 20meg forced config file!

Last edited:
Hey all,

Im experiencing a small hiccup, most likely from missing something out:

Im using n ambit 255 and have followed the guide, however after i get the option to press p it just gets stuck at "Console is Disabled by Vendor Profile" and nothing else happens, ive been sitting and waitin on that line for 10 mins.

Also, how do i change the board ip? Do i do this in hyper terminal when im supposed to get the menu option after i press p?

Thanks all

Problem solved! changed flow control to none.

Just one thing...

Is the tftp ip supposed to begin with 10.**.**.**

or 62.***.**.**?

is this by chance the latest fw ? (there is no p option) I'm askin b4 i start trying softJTAG.

Broadcom Data-Only CM Vendor Extension |
| |
| Copyright (c) 1999 - 2004 Broadcom Corporation |
| |
| Revision: 3.6.2 RELEASE |
| |
| Features: DHCP Server HTTP Server OSS2-N-03025 Visualization LED |
| Features: Controller |
+----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Build Date: Jun 29 2007 |
| Build Time: 17:55:00 |
| Built By: alex |
| Firmware version : 2.94.1014 |
| Hidden version : 2.94.1014

+----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Build Date: Jun 29 2007 |
| Build Time: 17:55:00 |
| Built By: alex |
| Firmware version : 2.94.1014 |
| Hidden version : 2.94.1014

Yes.... indeed it is... happy lifting :)

Can any one help me with this? I'm trying to do a 250. When I get to the bit where i need to load te image i keep getting tftp timeout then if i try again it says it can't find the image. I've pointed solarwinds to the folder that contains the image but it still doesn't work.

Thanks in advance

Can any one help me with this? I'm trying to do a 250. When I get to the bit where i need to load te image i keep getting tftp timeout then if i try again it says it can't find the image. I've pointed solarwinds to the folder that contains the image but it still doesn't work.

Thanks in advance
ur probably typing the name of the image wrong it should be type as sb5100e.bin

If what gentlex has advised doesn't work you need to check your firewall is not blocking it ;)

I'm pretty sure i allowed it access in the firewall. I'll double check when i get home though. Cheers for the advice.

edit+++ It was zone alarm. It hadn't allowed full access. Thanks again folks :)

Last edited:
Guys,

Whats the best way of doing this 250's and 255's. The new way or whats in Haynes Guide, confused. Anyone can pls point to right path.

Also for protection, from readin around i guess the main one is changing telnet username password... is that still the case, anything else am missing other den changing serial to the mac addy to with Caps, Right?

Or Wrong? Someone please...

I've used the 0 write command from another thread which seems to work perfectly (instead of the pin 11 trick).

cd non
cd snmp
max_dload_tries 0
write
cd \
reset

ok guys, may be trying this in an ex TW area on a webstar EPC over the next couple of days. So that i dont muck things up... and then come here asking a shed load of questions, can someone clear a few thing up for me...

If i stick with the standard modem F/W will i be able to disable future FW updates as i can with Sigma?

also - reading through this thread... has adams original tut' been ammended with no suggestions?

now - i have a few qustions regarding steps of the guide (im not in front of modem at the moment so forgive me if the questions are self explanitory when actually carrying out the flash):

1) "change board ip to 192.168.100.1 and press enter" how exactly DO you change the board IP??
2) "set your tftp server as 192.168.100.6 and press enter"... again.... how is this achieved... is this a setting from within Solarwinds?

thats it... i think!!

Back