[Tutorial] New way to do 250s

ok guys i.ve been having a play with another image "infinite-iamge0.BIN" posted by breed on unluckers so credit to breed for this image, and it seems to be more friendlier as it would differenately let u use the ambit tool to write ur settings to the modem ie: cfg, ds frequency, tftp ip etc... without enabling telnet ... so maybe adam can add this also to his tut...
here is how it works follow the tut per usual but instead of selecting the SB5100E-2.3.2.0-SCM03-FATSH.bin u use infinite-image0.BIN then once loaded onto the modem u should see this scrolling in hyperterminal window
Scanning DS Channel at 487774300 Hz...
Scanning DS Channel at 481774000 Hz...
15 64 0xbe0c0000
Scanning DS Channel at 475773700 Hz...

now click on the disconnect button or click on call @ the top of hyperterminal and go to disconnect, once it says disconnected @ the bottom run the ambit tool and select serial (max232) and use it as normal.
after ur finish applying ur settings to the modem ( do not reboot the modem ) go back to hyperterminal and click the call button (the telephone pic) @ the top on hyperterminal, once its says connected @ the bottom of hyperterminal copy and paste the other settings like changing serial, telnet login etc... like this
cd/
cd non-vol
cd snmp_cm
docsDevSerialNumber 002040xxxxxx
write
then press enter and remember the seial number and the mac r the same
then u can continue with other changes like telenet login and so on.
this will also works on the webstar epc/dpc2100
here is the image and good luck

Forgive me if this is stoopid question, can i flash my 250 (not bricked but with infinite FW) with this firmware, if so how, when i connect via max233 i do not get 'P' option, can someone explain or show me a TUT? thanks

Last edited:
Forgive me if this is stoopid question, can i flash my 250 (not bricked but with infinite FW) with this firmware, if so how, when i connect via max233 i do not get 'P' option, can someone explain or show me a TUT? thanks

u cant mate, im waiting for my programmer to arrive to make a solution for this, unless someone has beaten me too it.....

as for the 'p' option... are u using the infinite stealth? sometimes this removes the bootloader, u can restore it with softjtag, i posted a thread on here not too long ago about it, it has everything u need for restoring it.

softjtag just wont work for me for some reason, but with regards to what you said solster, doesnt that mean we can use softjtag to restore bootloader, press p upload unmodified firmware, then do adams tutorial

might be vm maintenance mate as im using a forced config and mines still fine.
I'll check VM page. Gone off again overnight. Maybe the download limit is being hit?

Edit: Nothing on VM page. See how it goes today.

Last edited:
I'll check VM page. Gone off again overnight. Maybe the download limit is being hit?

Edit: Nothing on VM page. See how it goes today.
What exactly is happening to your modem buddy? If you tell us that we might be able to help more.

Just an update on my modem. Went off last night, put it back on and when I came down this morning it was really slow again.

Logged into the modem and my forced config was no longer a bund03 but was the origional config the MAC was tied too a 120light!

I've just redone my Infinite Stealth again with no config file forced so will see how this goes on.

Anyone in the Bolton area using adams new hack with origional firmware having these problems? And are you forcing a config or using default MAC config?

:)

Just an update on my modem. Went off last night, put it back on and when I came down this morning it was really slow again.
Logged into the modem and my forced config was no longer a bund03 but was the origional config the MAC was tied too a 120light!
I've just redone my Infinite Stealth again with no config file forced so will see how this goes on.
Anyone in the Bolton area using adams new hack with origional firmware having these problems? And are you forcing a config or using default MAC config?
I've said it before and i'll say it again. Use adam's firmware. What will it cost you £10? My household is one affected by the mac problems, any mac i use on the infinite firmware, regardless of settings, regardless of stealth, will ultmately leave me with rock bottom speeds or constant dropouts.
This is instantaneously fixed with adam's f/w with the exact same mac. Is that not reason enough to choose the new firmware?

I tried it straight away in effort to combat my problem. I mean what is 10 quid to get your modem up and running again, at the time i was open to all suggestions so i tried it and it worked. Why can't people do the same.

Last edited:

Yep same here in Bolton, started last night, stealth firmware and forced config, if I change mac will work for 10 mins (quicker if I download), it takes about a minute to load one webpage!

My post gives you an answer, if you care to look at it, it might help you.

u cant mate, im waiting for my programmer to arrive to make a solution for this, unless someone has beaten me too it.....
as for the 'p' option... are u using the infinite stealth? sometimes this removes the bootloader, u can restore it with softjtag, i posted a thread on here not too long ago about it, it has everything u need for restoring it.

Yes using the infinite stealth, is this the softtag? https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?resources/1834/

Last edited by a moderator:
softjtag just wont work for me for some reason, but with regards to what you said solster, doesnt that mean we can use softjtag to restore bootloader, press p upload unmodified firmware, then do adams tutorial

thats what i thought, gave it a go and now have a bricked modem, so dont try it lol

so once programme arrives im gonna test other ways mate

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep same here in Bolton, started last night, stealth firmware and forced config, if I change mac will work for 10 mins (quicker if I download), it takes about a minute to load one webpage!

Martin Luther King, Jr.:
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

yes mate thats it, and the bootloader.bin is in the thread called "can you restore the bootloader on a 250?" (or osmehting like that) its about 3-4 days old
just power up modem connect with softjtag and select write bootloader, choose bootloader.bin and set offset to 0, it will take a while....

Thanks mate will give it a try later !

Absolutely not, i've said what i needed to say, tried to help you but got ignored, but thats fine, read the quote i posted, it might help you one day.

Even when i get mine to work it only works @ 1meg download exactly with full 768kb upload.

thats with any mac forced to 20meg config excw.

really doing my head in now..........i have 1 mac that every other day or so will goto 20meg download for about 1hr lol

anyone had the 1meg download limit issue?

Even when i get mine to work it only works @ 1meg download exactly with full 768kb upload.
thats with any mac forced to 20meg config excw.
really doing my head in now..........i have 1 mac that every other day or so will goto 20meg download for about 1hr lol
anyone had the 1meg download limit issue?
with adamas fix or with infinite or stealth mate?

My 250 has gone off 3 times during the last 24 hours using Adams firmware in ex C&W Stoke on Trent. I'm now on my fourth flash and forced it to use the light config that matched the MAC. Getting 983kbps down and 124kbps up.

Modem Info from 192 page:
Cable Modem Operation Configuration
Network Access : Allowed
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 2048000
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 200000
Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 1600
Maximum Number of CPEs : 1
Modem Capability : Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Disabled
First Time Last Time Counts Level ID Text
Wed Nov 07 07:50:48 2007 Wed Nov 07 07:50:48 2007 1 Critical(3) 68000300 DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
Wed Nov 07 07:50:44 2007 Wed Nov 07 07:50:44 2007 1 Critical(3) 68000100 DHCP FAILED - Discover sent, no offer received
Time Not Established Time Not Established 2 Critical(3) 68000300 DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
Time Not Established Time Not Established 1 Critical(3) 68000100 DHCP FAILED - Discover sent, no offer received
Time Not Established Time Not Established 47 Critical(3) 84000100 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/Q...
Time Not Established Time Not Established 88 Critical(3) 84000200 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC f...

Last edited:
with adamas fix or with infinite or stealth mate?

well before all this started i was lovin it... pay for my subbed 2meg and got a mac of my mate who was on aol but through cable line cloned it(his modem), funny really as i think it must be connected this was the only mac i could get to work forced to 20meg. all others he sniffed and iv got from other mates who have sniffed even then were only 1meg down but full upload but i had 20 meg forced config strange i kno.

The ones iv sniffed for him worked fine on 20meg.

now i have tried all the infinite suggestions
serial is the mac with no cm
usb mac +1
changed telnet login

with adams way i have only tried my once working mac, sometimes it will works as 20meg for an hour even on his way or infinite, sometimes its only a 1meg or sometimes it does respond lol (think it depends on the wind direction on that day)

the thing i need to try is one of my 1meg macs tested on my infinite in adams way, but ive tested them on my infinite modem as its easyier and they only work as 1meg so i doubt there will be any difference?

correct me if im wrong

sorry for the essay, cheers mate for the response:)

Back