tropical / salt fish ?

Yes i will update the post with pics and the tank is going in me kitchen lol... but in the new year i intend to get a fairly large tank - depending on how well it goes with this nano.

Here is some info i have now done my first 5 gallons and its should be ok now this water.

Checked with the TDS Meter (this meter checks your water for metal, dirt, solids, inpurities).... and i had a good percentage of rejection.

The results was like this:

Tap water = 353
RO water = 13

353 take away 13 = 340, Devide 340 by 353 = 0.96 X 100 = 96

96% is my regection rate.

And this is without the DI resin which polishes the water and gets rid of that last bit... hopefully.

So its looking good at the moment :)

right now its 10 gallon - maybe 9.

But tomorrow it will be a 15 gallon nano reef tank when it arrives.

Will buy some live sand tomorrow, and get the salt level right and then see how it goes for a few days and hopefully on the weekend can get 4-5 Kilos of live rock and start the cycle :)

Regards
Mickie D

been following this thread with a bit of intrest and got to say i really miss this hobby but not the expense.....ive upped a few pics from my old setup ive still get on my computer....and good luck with the set up....

Right i fitted the RO unit today without any hassle.

There was supposed to be DI resin but there is none so it is going through without it at the moment (3 other filters).

Also how do i use this little hand held meter ? what is the reading supposed to be for the water when its good i know the first 5 gallons you need to let go and then flush the system.

Can someone also tell me because its not very clear in the instructions but there is a close and open valve on the green pipe is that the flush valve ?

And also to turn it off do i twist the main water thats coming in to the closed position ?

Thanks allot people

dont know obout the green pipe m8 my flush valve pipe is white you should use this about every 2 weeks it does a back flush of the membrane makes it last longer they can last for a few years, di resin will get your tds down to about 0 also you other filters last about 6 months on average but you will be able to test it on your tds meter for quality

@ramraider so do i put the resin in with the filter (i bought some yesterday) there is a cannister that i put into the DI chamber but there was no resin ?

Where does this resin go m8y.

Cheers m8

@ Mickie D, im new to this also m8 just starting out like you lol, theirs so much to learn with a salt water tank, Try and get a few books m80 and join a few forums, Ive got a 40gallon tank which I already wish I went bigger with a sump maybe next year if I can get around the wife lol

Has for the resin put it in the canister that has nothing in....It does not go into the filter chamber Afaik.

Also it would be Good if you get an inline Tds meter no need for fluids..........Another must is a refractometer the hydrometers are shite really inaccurate.

A few pics.

Picture028.jpg

Picture026.jpg

Almost mature now!!!!! after weeks of watching rock lol...

Last edited:
@ramraider so do i put the resin in with the filter (i bought some yesterday) there is a cannister that i put into the DI chamber but there was no resin ?

Where does this resin go m8y.

Cheers m8

As the other man says put it in the empty pod m8 thats it

Open the bag and poor it in and do i put the whole bag in it ?

One last thing will water go everywhere lmao ?

Cheers fellas :)

@bigga you go through the cycle then mate ? how long has it taken for the ammonia spike then the nitrate and then the nitrate ?

I think mine is now at the peek of the ammonia... i have a small book with all the details in this its day 6 now.

Lmao people should see some of the shit that lives in these fooking rocks lol... there looks like an orange spider/crab in one hole that comes out in the dark lmao.

Regards
Mickie D

Last edited:
Open the bag and poor it in and do i put the whole bag in it ?

One last thing will water go everywhere lmao ?

Cheers fellas :)

@bigga you go through the cycle then mate ? how long has it taken for the ammonia spike then the nitrate and then the nitrate ?

I think mine is now at the peek of the ammonia... i have a small book with all the details in this its day 6 now.

Lmao people should see some of the shit that lives in these fooking rocks lol... there looks like an orange spider/crab in one hole that comes out in the dark lmao.

Regards
Mickie D

just fill the pod up m8 then screw it back on you should not get water every were make sure the pod is empty of water first

cheers pal it seems that there was DI resin in this already but i changed it to be safe... anyway if there was already resin why was i getting 15 on the meter ?

Do you think i might have a problem with my machine because it takes it down allot from 353 ppm but should it not be either 1 or below ?... maybe its the bucket i am using i will try and completely clean it with RO water then fill it up and check.

or fill up a cup that i will wash with RO water.

Thanks guys

cheers pal it seems that there was DI resin in this already but i changed it to be safe... anyway if there was already resin why was i getting 15 on the meter ?

Do you think i might have a problem with my machine because it takes it down allot from 353 ppm but should it not be either 1 or below ?... maybe its the bucket i am using i will try and completely clean it with RO water then fill it up and check.

or fill up a cup that i will wash with RO water.

Thanks guys

Resins are used to reduce the TDS (polishing the water) the TDS from a RO unit is not always as low as need so the usage of DI resin will bring the TDS down to near 0

I might of put the resin tube upside down in the first place :(

When pouring the tube directly over the Meter i can get 002-001-000 and in the cleaned out cup i get 003-004 i would say that is pretty clean what more can you do lol....

Anyway i have bigger problems my tank is rising to 29-30 because of the lights and maybe the circ pump i have just bought low output wave makers instead of the pump.

but i might try and make a peltier device that i can place in the back part of the filter chambers but i will need to get some kind of thermostat added to a peltier device so it can turn it off and on.... these chillers are like 400 quid and you could make a peltier cooler for a tenner ffs.

Someone on here is about to get a pm lol - no names lmao ghost man lmao rofl.

I might of put the resin tube upside down in the first place :(

When pouring the tube directly over the Meter i can get 002-001-000 and in the cleaned out cup i get 003-004 i would say that is pretty clean what more can you do lol....

Anyway i have bigger problems my tank is rising to 29-30 because of the lights and maybe the circ pump i have just bought low output wave makers instead of the pump.

but i might try and make a peltier device that i can place in the back part of the filter chambers but i will need to get some kind of thermostat added to a peltier device so it can turn it off and on.... these chillers are like 400 quid and you could make a peltier cooler for a tenner ffs.

Someone on here is about to get a pm lol - no names lmao ghost man lmao rofl.

If you have over heating problems now wait till the summer LOL , i would check your heater sometimes they take a while to settle down try turning it down a bit and check it tomorrow

No i think its the room (kitchen lol) so i am in the process of finding a submersible thermo probe and a peltier pad to either glue to the outside of the tank or to make it so that it can be dipped into the back of the tank (its a mini reef tank) chambers to work with the heater

Regards
Mickie D

It varys m8, to be honest I bought my rock online and I thought it was cured.....But when it came it was obviously uncured has it stunk like shite with a lot of die-off also I didnt get a full test kit till about 3weeks in so im not entirely sure about the spikes e.t.c

Since Ive been doing the tests tho the readings are slowly gettin better I hope to buy some (CUC) clean up crew next week.

Ive been watching rock for like 5weeks now, which my Mrs thinks im nuts lol she cant understand why I aint put any fish in it yet!

Has for the resin pack it tight in the canister and let it flush for a while eventually you should see a 0 Tds reading.

Turn your tank heater down also it helps I use to have a high temp on mine too till I turned it down to coincide with the room temp

I Bought one of these things to keep an eye on it...............

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brack-Aquariu...93679QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

:Cheers:

Last edited:
Right turned off the pump all day and left the front feed lid open and it stayed steady on 79/80 all day so i am really pleased with that but will still try and make a peltier cooler with water block (some sillicone'd glass with and inlet and out let from a pump so i can run water through the cooling device).

I think maybe the circulation pump might be to blame and i will be using some wave makers instead until i can work the project out.

Amonia is dropping now and nitrite has climbed a little which is good news because hopefully i just have the nitrate to rise and fall then the nitrate and should be good...

I will get something up at the weekend as i have them from my phone but i need to find the usb lead to upload them!

I what seems a small brown algea bloom on the rocks at the moment and more and more things are being found, i had the tourch out last night and swear i saw a small fish ? or something swimming about ?

fook knows lol

Back